Join Today

Thread: Noisy Box

Problem Solving

Thanks

Noisy Box

Hi all,

Starting yesterday the gearbox began to make a rubbing/flapping type noise, this noise is only apparent in 2,3, and 4th. In 1st its very slight and 5th there nothing, all changes are smooth with no crunching.

The noise changes with wheel speed but goes when in neutral or clutch depressed or in 5th. Its also louder when the box has warmed up.

Tonight ive checked the oil and its up to the fill (was changed last august) and with the car on stands, running in gear, in 2nd there was a crunching type noise from inside the box

Anyone able to point me to what could be wrong? and is it new box time or can it be fixed?

Its a 2003 v40 2.0T (T3)

Thanks

This user has no status
    Thanks
    are you sure it's nothing to do with the clutch ??

Problem Solving

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    are you sure it's nothing to do with the clutch ??
    Must admit my first thought was clutch but as the sound isnt there in 5th or reverse I had hoped to rule it out.

From what ive managed to find 1st to 4th gear are all on the same shaft, with 5th and Reverse sharing a second, so on this basis the issue is on the 1-4 shaft, But the gearshift is perfectly smooth with no grinding or need to force the change.

gearboxes baffle me anyway but this really has me confused, im hoping do to a oil change on it tommorow with either volvos stuff or i read that Castrol Syntrax is usable?

Thread Information