Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

ecu questions :(

as most of you are aware of the problems with my car, it actually blew the turbo luckily i had a spare although upon removal i found the turbo fitted to the car to be a 15g not the 16t we thought it was, my replacement was however a 16t so its was a pretty good win there. since i have fitted the said turbo the car runs fine flat out from a stand still but when at cruising speed and apply load it hits boost cut again at about 10psi although its boosts to 17 when floored and runs ok,

as my investigation continued i took the cover off the ecu to see if there was a number on the chip to see what it was as the car previously had a rica chip as verified by you guys, but it looks like it was replaced by a standard ecu as the orginal chip does not look to have been removed as there is no chip socket

just wondering if you guys would agree if this is appeared standard?
    also my new turbo which has absolute no play in the compressor shaft make alot more of a whiney noise when it spools than the old one is that more common with the bigger turbo is it self destructing due to having been sitting dry in a garage for years?

thanks for your help in advance i'm new to this turbo game but i'm learning fast

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Do you no if it is obd1 or 2 ?

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

This user has no status

Thanks
    i can only assume its obd one as the bosch kts would not communicate with the car, is there anyway of knowing for sure?

This user has no status

Thanks
    i think the only thing that is making the car run that high of a boost pressure is it has a kingwana actuator?

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    The ecu chips dont usually have a socket soldered in, My last HLM chipped ecu was directly soldered to the board.

I have a Standard ecu chip (volvo one) and it clearly has a number on it,

Your chip looking at the picture looks very similar to my hlm one i had, and doesnt look abnormal. Id say the boost cut is somthing else breaking down under load, like a crank sensor for instance how long can you run it at 17psi? without issue

6. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

sundog (Sunday 20th April 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    if its full throttle i can hold full pressure as long as the road lets me, i only tend to have a problem approaching slow moving traffic and just increasing the throttle slowly it comes to around 10 psi then boost cuts cuts back in the out and shakes it all about. i try to avoid using full throttle from a higher gear so it dosen't drop a couple of gears and bend a rod as i have no idea to the condition of the engine even though it was supposed to have uprated rods etc, i do not believe it at all

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sundog For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Sunday 20th April 2014)

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Boost cut is just that, the ecu will NOT allow prolonged overboost over aprox 14 psi, id suggest the problem is not related to the ecu chip.

Have you carried out a Stage zero tune? this is paramount when buying one of these cars they are all getting old and most have been abused, and before any tuning is carried it is highly advisable it then allows easier trouble shooting, and possible even stops silly issues in the 1st place.

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    1st thing to try is bin that actuator and try a standard one few people have had problems with them

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

sundog (Sunday 27th April 2014)

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    yeah im thinking the actuator has been tweaked beyond its means,maybe its too tight causing the boost to spike and causing the boost cut issue???

full respray..plenty of body mods..comets..ray cat back noise pipe..decat and wrapped downpipe..me7 exhaust manifold..3" throttle body with ported inlet manifold..blue injectors..adjustable fuel reg..reverse intercooler pipework..19t..open cone air filter..255 fuel pump..m-r-p short shift..boost gauge..unknown remap..adjustable suspension..lightweight crank pulley..n/a cams..stripped out interior..and a heavy right foot

13. The Following User Says Thank You to theflyingbrick For This Useful Post:

sundog (Sunday 27th April 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    thanks guys changed the actuator now its only running 8psi feels a little slow now but at least its not leaning out. pay day cant come soon enough, has any one on here used those chips off ebay from Sweden? there feedback looks really promising?

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    oblark is selling a rica ecu on here for 100 quid if your after a decent remap

full respray..plenty of body mods..comets..ray cat back noise pipe..decat and wrapped downpipe..me7 exhaust manifold..3" throttle body with ported inlet manifold..blue injectors..adjustable fuel reg..reverse intercooler pipework..19t..open cone air filter..255 fuel pump..m-r-p short shift..boost gauge..unknown remap..adjustable suspension..lightweight crank pulley..n/a cams..stripped out interior..and a heavy right foot

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theflyingbrick For This Useful Post:

oblark (Sunday 27th April 2014),sundog (Tuesday 29th April 2014)

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    The little one had a similar problem he would boost fine up to 10psi but any thing over that and it was like it was cutting back turned out to be the maf

18. The Following User Says Thank You to t5 pete For This Useful Post:

sundog (Tuesday 29th April 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    if he still has it come pay day it shall be mine im fed up of standard boost already

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Make sure your boost control solenoid is plumbed in the right way too. If it is backwards then it won't boost properly
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

sundog (Tuesday 29th April 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    i will have to check that when i get back to my car at the w/e off to google i go

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Beware the diagram that is around the internet is wrong (see below) the pipes are the wrong way round, the top pipe should go to the actuator and the bottom pipe should go to the turbo

This pic has the correct config (note the colour dots on the BCS):
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Thread Information