Join Today
    13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks

boosting hesitant, possible boost control valve?

so ive replaced the maf sensor, and got the turbo boosting great now and put a v band on the turbo, still slight play but not horizontal movement so itll do, but ive still got this annoying hesitation when boosting? it happens mainly at 3 stages, boost coming on (3k ish) low mid (4k ish) and mid boost (5k ish) after 5k it boosts great to 6500. sometimes it does longer period of times. theres no fault codes, as said new maf, which leaves me to believe its the boost valve? this is where i get the slight "beep" noise from the passenger side (coincidentally the boost control valve is there?) sound plausible?
    thanks guys

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    petrol diesel. what year model. have you read the codes thats the first place you need to start.
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by s40t View Post
    so ive replaced the maf sensor, and got the turbo boosting great now and put a v band on the turbo, still slight play but not horizontal movement so itll do, but ive still got this annoying hesitation when boosting? it happens mainly at 3 stages, boost coming on (3k ish) low mid (4k ish) and mid boost (5k ish) after 5k it boosts great to 6500. sometimes it does longer period of times. theres no fault codes, as said new maf, which leaves me to believe its the boost valve? this is where i get the slight "beep" noise from the passenger side (coincidentally the boost control valve is there?) sound plausible?
    thanks guys
    If your T4 then these are really fussy motors....you won`t get full boost properly unless the temp guage says 88C but 92C is the correct running temp.

It is a failsafe measure for any damage to the engine.......so i would check that first then move on...... check the TCV is ok by removing a hose from it either red or yellow but be careful as it will boost wildly if all the rest is ok!!
    Last edited by 960kg; Tuesday 15th April 2014 at 16:55.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks
    It never done it when I got the car but a day and half later it started. Would it be more be beneficial to have a manual valve than the electronic?

13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    If your T4 then these are really fussy motors....you won`t get full boost properly unless the temp guage says 88C but 92C is the correct running temp.

It is a failsafe measure for any damage to the engine.......so i would check that first then move on...... check the TCV is ok by removing a hose from it either red or yellow but be careful as it will boost wildly if all the rest is ok!!
    I'll try this, thanks

This user has no status

Thanks
    I would check all of your hoses first. Do the things that cost no money first

13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks
    thanks weemo, a little update on the problem. i have installed a boost gauge, and when it is hesitating, theres NO boost loss, i think this means i can rule out any split pipe, vaccums etc. ( i have already checked multiple times anyway.)

ive also noticed more and more often now, when on idle mainy warm up the rev hunt every now and then? its NOT the maf, no fault codes and its brand new. cant imagine another sensor as its started doing with this new maf so...
    in my theory (bare with me!) i can only put it down to either this tcv or FP, im edging more fp now from the boost gauge, maybe not coping with the demands when theres a change in revs, having to build the pressure up, maf is now reading the correct amount of air drawn in, FP cant cope causing hesitation. fuel pressure build eventually in fuel line/ rail over the period of hesitation, hence it not hesitating over 4.5-5k? lack of pressure on fuel, not as much fuel supplied, tcv notices this possible reason of this "beep"...does it sound plausable? i still need to disconnect them lines, ill try tomorrow as been busy, if no change i can only say fuel pump is giving in.

Problem Solving

Thanks
    Ive got a similar issue on a T3 engined V40 (2003) but mine only apparent when accelerating from <2k, sometimes it will hesitate 2-3 times but once over 2k it acts fine. but my boost seems low seeing peaks of 10psi on initial acceleration which then drops to 4-5psi, but no leaks and car accelerates well.

I keep getting P0171 code which comes and goes but plug reading shows nothing amiss, strange thing is when i check the freeze frame for the code the engine temp is always 84c. Engine is heating up to 88-92 just fine.
    Last edited by Cymro; Saturday 14th June 2014 at 13:26.

Problem Solving

Thanks
    Update on this.

Replaced FPR, engine ran a lot better, hestitations less noticable. Old FPR was 309Kpa, New one is a 350Kpa. Getting full pressure at the rail. Annoyingly P0171 sat as a pending fault but no light....

Replaced MAF, P0171 gone, I did have a grey code for P0234 overboost after the MAF change but that has now gone as well, but getting what feels like fuel cut/limiter kicking it at 3k with random hesitations. No faults logged or pending :-/

I have got new coils to go in this afternoon so will see if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by Cymro; Sunday 29th June 2014 at 11:58.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Whats the fpr

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
    Ive got a similar issue on a T3 engined V40 (2003) but mine only apparent when accelerating from <2k, sometimes it will hesitate 2-3 times but once over 2k it acts fine. but my boost seems low seeing peaks of 10psi on initial acceleration which then drops to 4-5psi, but no leaks and car accelerates well.

I keep getting P0171 code which comes and goes but plug reading shows nothing amiss, strange thing is when i check the freeze frame for the code the engine temp is always 84c. Engine is heating up to 88-92 just fine.
    Standard boost on your motor is only 8.7psi as it is a weaker engine!........you can only safely boost to 12psi continuously otherwise can be a nasty bang!.......it does sound as though your TCV may need replacing as on initial acceleration you should not see 10psi...

Update on this.

Replaced FPR, engine ran a lot better, hestitations less noticable. Old FPR was 309Kpa, New one is a 350Kpa. Getting full pressure at the rail. Annoyingly P0171 sat as a pending fault but no light....

Replaced MAF, P0171 gone, I did have a grey code for P0234 overboost after the MAF change but that has now gone as well, but getting what feels like fuel cut/limiter kicking it at 3k with random hesitations. No faults logged or pending :-/

I have got new coils to go in this afternoon so will see if that makes a difference.
    I said on the other site that the MAF will probably be the cause of the P0171 error code but over there you don`t say it worked!!

If you say you still have a misfire then replace the front O2 sensor as that is one of the causes of the code according to Vadis and not the MAF as usually is found out in practice.....

Problem Solving

Thanks
    The 171 has now gone. After the MAF change.

It now doesn't feel like a misfire. More as if im hitting a limiter or boost cut off.

Problem Solving

Thanks

Thumbs up

It now doesn't feel like a misfire. More as if im hitting a limiter or boost cut off.

@960kg, changed my coil packs and it feels like new :-)

I think there may have been more than one issue at work and replacing everything else made the misfire stand out more and more.

Thanks for the help

This user has no status

Thanks

I am pleased the error code has gone.....owners can actually hang on this code for a year trying to erase it but in the end the MAF has a 99% chance of getting rid of it ....why? ...who knows, but there are countless posts around to prove it.

@960kg, changed my coil packs and it feels like new :-)

I think there may have been more than one issue at work and replacing everything else made the misfire stand out more and more.

Thanks for the help
    As you say, more than one issue at work......it is always best to try and fit pucker Volvo parts with turbos as they are so fussy.....aftermarket parts cost more in the long run ( well..... after 6 months when you have to buy them again! )

This user has no status

Thanks
    Whats the fpr

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abdul View Post
    Whats the fpr
    Fuel pressure regulator located on the end of your fuel rail at the front of the engine
    02 V40 T4
    Mods so far 17" Arcadia's ,jetex cat back ,forge dump valve and blanking plate with more to come

17. The Following User Says Thank You to gazO2V40T4 For This Useful Post:

abdul (Tuesday 15th July 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gazO2V40T4 View Post
    Fuel pressure regulator located on the end of your fuel rail at the front of the engine
    Thanks

Thread Information