Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got it :)

arbee
    This user has no status

Got it :) Edit - now with pics!

Well, picked up chuffed as chuffed - pictures will have to wait tho, (was very rushed to get to work) what a tease eh?

A couple of things I have 'discovered'...
    When I looked at it I asked if he'd ever had problems with any of the warning lights - He, very honestly(?), said that he'd seen the ABS/Tracs light a couple of times but never had it checked out. It never even flicked during the lenghty test drive so I didnt worry. Didn't stop it coming on on the way home tho - oh well! I restarted the ignition and it never came on again, I dont think that will be the last I'll see of it!

Secondly, I think the master brake cylinder (or servo?) is knackered, sitting in traffic using the brake frequently, the system could not keep up and the pedel went very hard with no power - like you get when you try to use the brake without the engine running. Its ok on a run but at slow speeds where you are on/off its not much short of dangerous! I think that is priority number 1! could this be linked to the ABS/tracs light, I'm, thinking probably not?

Still, the noise and grunt it makes is worth its faults, I got a good price on the car IMO so as long as its salvagable without hideous expense (i'm touching wood....) i'll be a happy bunny. Pics this eveniing when i'm home again - will be dark tho!
    EDIT:
    Some quick phone camera pics in the dark, not the best quality...
    Front end...

Rear end (oo er)...

classic volvo lines...

some areas needing attention, give me a clue on the metal bits lol
    a bit leaky...

a fair bit more leaky...

This looks way worse than it is, no cracks to the bumper, just paint
    Last edited by arbee; Tuesday 8th November 2005 at 22:10.

Casual poster 15 years on!
    Thanks
    Great news......i am looking forward to the pictures
    My TWITTER username

This user has no status

Thanks
    Wobbly will sort your ABS issue out

x

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Congratulations, on, in my opinion purchasing the least borring estate ever made.
    Just keep an eye on the speedo as its easy to cruse at 95mph with 2000 revs showing. I got pulled the first day of getting my T5R. 95 on M1 luckly for me the traffic cop was forgiving and let me off. I seriously thought I was doing more like 80mph.
    They are built for cruising at high speeds, also good at showing up most modern so called sportcars on country roads. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I have out of mine.
    Dan

This user has no status
    Thanks
    ABS fault is one for Wobbly! Come on down!

Not sure that the pedal problem is related though. Braking system will function without the ABS ECU being fitted. Sounds like a vacuum leak from the servo, do the brakes feel like you are using them with the engine off?

Had similar thing on a car in the past and it turned out to be a split diaphragm in the servo unit
    Martin

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"

280 RICA
    ITG Panel filter
    Volvo strut brace

arbee
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinr
    ABS fault is one for Wobbly! Come on down!

Not sure that the pedal problem is related though. Braking system will function without the ABS ECU being fitted. Sounds like a vacuum leak from the servo, do the brakes feel like you are using them with the engine off?

Had similar thing on a car in the past and it turned out to be a split diaphragm in the servo unit
    Martin that is exactly what it feels like, and yes thats exactly what i thought it may be! will I get patent parts for the servo/master cylinder or is it main dealer only? What kind of money am i looking at for either?

I reckon it should be DIY-able, tho think I'm gonna have to get me a Haynes book asap!

I think I need to get the brakes mecahnically sorted then get on to Mr Wobbly What kind of money would an ECU fix set me back? Ooh the T5 expense!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    to test your servo for vaccum leaks pump brake pedal several times and hold down, while holding start car and pedal should drop slightly as servo builds up vaccum. if it does that then there wont be a servo problem.

I'd start with the ABS unit repair TBH as it may be that the fault in the unit is causing the ABS valve unit to open/close at the wrong times..therefore the pedal problem...
    Scrappage.....love it!!

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    abs/tracs is a nice safety extra that can be switched off, brakes are essential! seized pistons?

arbee
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by weasel
    abs/tracs is a nice safety extra that can be switched off, brakes are essential! seized pistons?
    indeedy! nah not seized pistons i don't think, it is inconsistant, only occuring after a couple-three depressions, I'm gonna try what splatt suggested when I'm home, didnt think of that earlier... If there is a leak (ie it is firm after turning the engine on) does that point to master cylinder or servo? I'm not really clear on the function of a servo tbh.

arbee
    This user has no status
    first post has had some ropey photos added

Scottish bloke
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Is that the front bumper thats burst and a fog light missing?

Nice car tho and good luck with it....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by weasel
    I know you can switch off the TRACS if fitted...

But Not your ABS...
    --------------------------------------------------
    Saffy V70R Auto estate
    --------------------------------------------------

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Always liked the estate in yellow. Norwich plate too!
    V40 T4

Apart from my dignity and self respect, I have nothing to lose

OTBC

arbee
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by fraz13
    Is that the front bumper thats burst and a fog light missing?

Nice car tho and good luck with it....
    nah the bumper is not burst or cracked, it has just heavily flexed and the paint flaked away in strips. The fog light is there and is neither affected or damaged etc, its just the poor lighting in the photo

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I can send you full details on the ABS ECU repair, if you want it doing. Price is less than a third of an exchange unit from the dealers.
    Braking is not intrinsically linked to the ABS module - but obviously without it you will not have this feature available. When the light is on the system doesnt work anyway. Usual symptoms will include going over an imperfection in the road and the light will come on. Frequency between it staying off will decrease, until it is on all the time.
    On the master brake cylinder front - I would check to see if there is any paint flaking off the front of the servo (big black disc thing attached to the reservoir/cylinder) which might indicate a leak.

Enough already of minor problems. I hope you are pleased. Looks like you have a very nice example of a limited edition Volvo estate - which is something to be proud of IMHO! All purchases like this have a period of fettling the minor bits - I am sure she'llbe spot on very soon!
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

arbee
    This user has no status
    Dave thanks for the offer, a quick search has earnt you many an endorsement! I will be looking at the mechanics/hydraulics this weekend I I get a chance. If/when that side is sorted I may take you up on your offer! I have had a quick lesson in how the servo works so can do a quick check on the obvious first. I think it must be a leak somewhere, just hope its not the servo itself. Yes I think 'fettling' is very much intrinsic to running an older car tho I seem to think it will be worth it!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I am still fettling twelve months on! Though now I am only sorting minor irritations like blown bulbs etc.

Good luck with the car. Time to update your User Profile I think!!
    Martin

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"

280 RICA
    ITG Panel filter
    Volvo strut brace

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I had ABS tracs light up! Can't remember the codes! have you pulled them from the engine. Turned out to be the pump that was knackerd. On yours the ECU and the pump can be seperated, later versions you have to buy both.
    Dan

arbee
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinr
    Time to update your User Profile I think!!
    Yep, certainly is! - done!

Quote Originally Posted by dan_burdock
    I had ABS tracs light up! Can't remember the codes! have you pulled them from the engine. Turned out to be the pump that was knackerd. On yours the ECU and the pump can be seperated, later versions you have to buy both.
    Dan
    later! I will get the brakes functioning first before I worry about the luxury of perminant ABS/Tracs!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Watch the insurance some will not honour if you have ABS TRACS and its not working
    Dan

Thread Information