Join Today
    T5 powered and retro
    Thanks

850R rear spoiler on an S70

Quick question for y'all. My S70 is off to the bodyshop later to have the 850R spoiler painted and fitted. Is there a loom and plug for the brake light in the boot lid somewhere as there wasn't a spoiler made afaik with a brake light in it for the S70?
    Or will I have to wire it in myself from the normal brake light circuit?
    Cheers
    Wayne

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    there wasnt one in mine, you will also see that the spoiler wont want to sit right on the s70

Here today gone tomorrow

Thanks
    I removed all the wiring and bulb elements from mine, the S70 boot lid is slightly curved compared to the 850's so there's so adjustments to be made when fitting.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    I might be wrong but I think there are legality issues with having more than one "high level brake light". If I were you I'd leave the lens on the spoiler from the existing brake light as a dummy and continue to use the standard S70 LED brake light and leave it at that

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Tuesday 15th April 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Could anyone elaborate on 'adjustments' to be made? I'm having one painted to put on the S70 and just assumed it would fit, would be nice to know whats involved before I get there.

On the legal note 've been told if you have a brake light in your spoiler it must work or it will fail the mot.

cheers

Andy
    White '98 S70 T5 ME7
    K&N panel filter
    Drilled airbox
    Ported 18T
    Milltek Exhaust
    Dark Anthracite Comets
    'R' Bumper
    2003 C70 Headlights
    Autogauge smoked boost gauge

"Yeh, the T5 and T5R are handy bits of kit for transporting wardrobes across the country at monumental speeds."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rs_andy For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Saturday 7th June 2014)

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rs_andy View Post
    Could anyone elaborate on 'adjustments' to be made? I'm having one painted to put on the S70 and just assumed it would fit, would be nice to know whats involved before I get there.

On the legal note 've been told if you have a brake light in your spoiler it must work or it will fail the mot.

cheers

Andy
    just needs bending a little

This user has no status
    Thanks
    That's rubbish I had one on my punto for 3years passed every mot
    Cars
    2001 C70 2.0lpt Silver 163bhp

2005 S60 D5 SE Black 163bhp - Dyno'd 191.8Bhp 290 FTH

T5 powered and retro
    Thanks
    My spoiler will hopefully be going on I the next week or two, just having the boot lid painted first.
    On trial fitting it does seem a bit out, ideally looks like it would need the center support grinding or filing down as it seems too high. Unfortunately it's already painted so I ain't damaging the new lovely paint so it will be a trial and error excercise.
    New brake light is fitted and wired into spoiler, just needs a hole drilling in underside of boot lid to get the wires into the loom. Can't have a brake light that doesn't work....just not acceptable!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    oh, shouldn't be too difficult then. Better get the standard one pulled off and have a look.

thanks guys
    White '98 S70 T5 ME7
    K&N panel filter
    Drilled airbox
    Ported 18T
    Milltek Exhaust
    Dark Anthracite Comets
    'R' Bumper
    2003 C70 Headlights
    Autogauge smoked boost gauge

"Yeh, the T5 and T5R are handy bits of kit for transporting wardrobes across the country at monumental speeds."

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by munster732 View Post
    My spoiler will hopefully be going on I the next week or two, just having the boot lid painted first.
    On trial fitting it does seem a bit out, ideally looks like it would need the center support grinding or filing down as it seems too high. Unfortunately it's already painted so I ain't damaging the new lovely paint so it will be a trial and error excercise.
    New brake light is fitted and wired into spoiler, just needs a hole drilling in underside of boot lid to get the wires into the loom. Can't have a brake light that doesn't work....just not acceptable!
    There is a special bracket that routes the wires inside the car without the need to drill a hole that Volvo fitted to the 854 saloons with boot spoilers. Try getting one as it will save you wrecking your boot lid

T5 powered and retro
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    There is a special bracket that routes the wires inside the car without the need to drill a hole that Volvo fitted to the 854 saloons with boot spoilers. Try getting one as it will save you wrecking your boot lid
    Hmmm, I'm goin to try and take a look at a 850r with spoiler fitted to be sure. Don't want to drill a hole but looks like it was the only way from what we could see. I have a rubber fitting that goes round the boot lid from outside to inside but it looks like it needs a hole drilling in the supportin metal framework inside the boot skin.
    Cheers Andy, just Pm'd Timbo as he's reasonably close and we shall see.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    I might be wrong but I think there are legality issues with having more than one "high level brake light". If I were you I'd leave the lens on the spoiler from the existing brake light as a dummy and continue to use the standard S70 LED brake light and leave it at that
    you can fit as many brake lights as you want. But as with any lights you fit they must all work, so you'll have trouble convincing the mot inspector/police the lens in the spoiler isn't meant to be a light

This user has no status

Thanks
    Not at all, reverse lights and front fog lights don't come into an mot, I'll have to do some research to get clarity on the 4th brake light situation..

Just checked...

Vehicles first used on or after 1 January 1971 must be fitted with two obligatory stop lamps. Additional stop lamps fitted and connected must be tested. Where extra lamps are fitted and there is doubt as to whether they are connected, the benefit of this doubt should be given to the presenter.

So no problem to have more than 3 brake lights but if the lamps not connected it doesn't have to work
    Last edited by AndysR; Sunday 8th June 2014 at 00:23.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    I stand corrected, just checked with my mot man & what a stupid rule. If none of the 3rd brake light works then it's ok, but if u have a 3rd brake light that has multiple bulbs & only some work then it's an advisory/fail

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Name:  red arrows.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  150.8 KBI put such an 'R' boot spoiler on my old S70, did not connect up the light just got the lense covered in carbon fibre...it looked OK.....

Don.
    MTE performance software, Ferrita stainless exhausts, TME stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com

Thread Information