Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Bent my rods.......

Driving to Brighton with the lads for a night out i decided to floor it 4 up as a r34 went past. Had big miss fire type feeling, now my car a ticking/knocking really bad. After searching google its safe to say I've bent the rods. I've driven a further 59miles since and all seems fine except the noise. But my next question , can I drive back tomorrow gently or should I get towed??? Also is it a big job replacing rods?? Ive read its 5hours

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    if youve already kept on driving it you may as well just carry on driving it, it wont get any worse, you'l need to replace the engine though to cure it

This user has no status

Thanks
    So it's not as straight forward as replacing the rods alone then??? If it's full engine I'll consider breaking it, something i really don't want to do. Just got new tax and mot too

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeyboy18 View Post
    So it's not as straight forward as replacing the rods alone then??? If it's full engine I'll consider breaking it, something i really don't want to do. Just got new tax and mot too
    yeah but you continued to drive it causing more damage,

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Depends if its pick up on the crank, you may be lucky Rod wise Sump off, Head off then replace.

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    At the least it's engine out rebore and rods.

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Excuse my ignorance ? But would continued driving cause shell damage and bearing damage ?? Hence why better off just sticking in a replacement engine ?? Or doing a forged rebuild internals etc , wich will cost a lot but give a engine capable if big bhp with the right mods , fuel pump injectors turbo etc ????

My mobile office ,

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gwrt5 View Post
    Excuse my ignorance ? But would continued driving cause shell damage and bearing damage ?? Hence why better off just sticking in a replacement engine ?? Or doing a forged rebuild internals etc , wich will cost a lot but give a engine capable if big bhp with the right mods , fuel pump injectors turbo etc ????
    Probably the best way to go, get another engine build it up then fit it

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Cheapest way to get back on the road is buy a replacement engine, can.get a good one for less than 200 quid then a day to swop it

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeyboy18 View Post
    Driving to Brighton with the lads for a night out i decided to floor it 4 up as a r34 went past. Had big miss fire type feeling, now my car a ticking/knocking really bad. After searching google its safe to say I've bent the rods. I've driven a further 59miles since and all seems fine except the noise. But my next question , can I drive back tomorrow gently or should I get towed??? Also is it a big job replacing rods?? Ive read its 5hours
    A bent rod (sounds like a sticky hydraulic tappet) is when the rod is hitting the bottom side of the cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    if youve already kept on driving it you may as well just carry on driving it, it wont get any worse, you'l need to replace the engine though to cure it
    What he says (he`s bent a few in his time)

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oblark View Post
    A bent rod (sounds like a sticky hydraulic tappet) is when the rod is hitting the bottom side of the cylinder
    The ones I've seen, the conrod has been hitting the collar on the bottom of the piston, that's why the knocking clears up after a while

12. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Saturday 12th April 2014)

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    The ones I've seen, the conrod has been hitting the collar on the bottom of the piston, that's why the knocking clears up after a while
    I wasn`t 100% sure if it was the cylinder wall or the piston skirt that the rod hits

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just keep driving it until it fails completely then replace the engine. Some people have driven with bent rods for thousands of miles no problems. Depends how bent it is I suppose and how much you rely on the car.
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    rebuild the lump. for all you know it could of put a flat spot in the shells. as i always like to say theres no point in doing half a job
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

Thread Information