Join Today
    There's never a bad day, just
    the wrong clothes!!!
    Thanks

ABS/ ANTI SKID SERVICE REQUIRED. ABS ring or wire?

A quick brake question. I just fitted a second hand drive to my D5 S80 02 and now I have ABS and STC lights on dash and computer displaying the message ABS/ ANTI SKID SERVICE REQUIRED. The only thing I touched was the ABS ring, I just fitted the one that came on the drive even though it was a little rusty. I'm going to fit my old ABS ring back on later today however there is a black electrical wire which I was unable to disconnect. Anywho this wire may have got stretched and I'm assuming it is for the ABS sensor. If the ring doesn't fix the situation can this wire be bought and replaced? Any help would be great.
    Last edited by hrhvolvo; Monday 7th April 2014 at 02:47.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Yep - that's the sensor. It'll unplug from the loom inside the engine bay somewhere, and unscrew from the stub axle. I'd say the wire is damaged and you'll need to replace it.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

the wrong clothes!!!
    Thanks
    Lovely!!! I should really let a mechanic do these jobs but then I am a bloke lol

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hrhvolvo View Post
    Lovely!!! I should really let a mechanic do these jobs but then I am a bloke lol
    I sympathise fully mate, you get to a point where the sky high garage bills get on your nerves and you take the job on yourself, I've done this myself and succeeded and failed on various jobs.

But sometimes the problem begins before you even get the car in the garage.... In my case, most recently I've done a job on my car that I wasn't comfortable doing and all because the garage I contacted for a quote were too busy to get back to me with a quote. Felt great that I'd avoided the garage fee and done the job myself but there's always that worry that something will get broken in the process. Oddly, it was an ABS/Tracs fault as well which was the pump motor.

In your case, the ABS ring or sensor is almost certainly your fault. Be careful when you play around with the drive axle, it's easy to pull the inner CV joint apart and a new driveshaft from Volvo is about £150 - £200. best of luck with it and keep us updated.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    A quick brake question. I just fitted a second hand drive to my D5 S80 02 and now I have ABS and STC lights on dash and computer displaying the message ABS/ ANTI SKID SERVICE REQUIRED. The only thing I touched was the ABS ring, I just fitted the one that came on the drive even though it was a little rusty. I'm going to fit my old ABS ring back on later today however there is a black electrical wire which I was unable to disconnect. Anywho this wire may have got stretched and I'm assuming it is for the ABS sensor. If the ring doesn't fix the situation can this wire be bought and replaced? Any help would be great.
    When you say, you fitted a second hand drive, do you mean driveshaft?
    Firstly, check the ABS reluctor ring is not cracked - very common fault.
    Secondly, if you suspect that you've stretched the black wires to the sensor, then just check resistance of the sensor. Auto data or vida will give you the correct resistance. The ABS sensor plugs often stick because they are exposed to the elements. It will come apart, you just need to lubricate and persevere without pulling the wires. You cannot just replace the wires, you'll either have to replace the entire lume and the sensor, or find the break in the wire (using a multimeter and wire probes) using continuity. If your not confident in wiring then have a garage fix it, otherwise you may compromise the circuit and introduce new faults. By simply soldering in or making good an ABS sensor wire, will increase resistance in the wire and possibly affect it's ability to send the correct signal to the BCM.
    Its always better to just replace the sensor and harness, rather than trying to repair it.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Tuesday 8th April 2014 at 00:50.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Don't panic, people sometimes make jobs sound so complicated when they don't need to be. The ABS sensor is probably fiddly but not that hard to do mate, here's an example of the ABS loom and sensor.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-S60-...item27dd2030a4

As you can see, connector on one end, sensor on the other. Take the bolt out of the hub holding the sensor on, take the sensor out, trace the wire up and in to the engine bay and unplug the other end. Reverse to refit.

The only snag some people have is the sensors or retaining bolts get rusted in to the hub. Putting in a brand new sensor will not induce new faults if you wire it to the right spot which won't be that hard because you'll do one at a time anyway, I guess.

Have a go yourself, and if you get stuck there's always a few on here that will actually give you some sensible and plain English advice without any technical mumbo jumbo. Keep us posted as well!

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    The sensor is PROBOBLY easy to remove. So you have no idea if it is or not. Experience tells me it can be a nightmare if not approached correctly. Me personly only beleaving in giving out advice if you have first hand experience of the job. Half the facts are usless and misleading. These constant digs and having to correct misleading advice is becoming very tiring. Id just ignore it but if some one tried to follow some of the poor advice they are going to end up with a large garage bill
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

the wrong clothes!!!
    Thanks
    Well I'm not working until later so I'm heading off now to my fathers shed to change ABS ring and fit ball joint so I'll update later. Fingers crossed it's just ring!!!

the wrong clothes!!!
    Thanks
    We'll problem sorted. It was the ABS ring. It wasn't on the drive true so I straightened it up and gave it a little tap with a chisel and viola. I wouldn't recommend over taping with a chisel as I'd say they could break easy. Ball joint fitted too and I was surprised how easy this was. However after new drive, ball joint, 2 wishbone bushes and a shock mount there is still a vibration at low revs in fourth gear, anyone any ideas? It also seems likes it's wobbling (I think that kind of describes it) when accelerating whilst turning left, for example leaving a roundabout. I'm thinking based on how much work has gone on on that corner that it will likely need wheel alligned, but that shouldn't cause my symptoms or would it?

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Glad gou got it sorted. Whats the conditon of your wishbone bushed.
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    We'll problem sorted. It was the ABS ring. It wasn't on the drive true so I straightened it up and gave it a little tap with a chisel and viola. I wouldn't recommend over taping with a chisel as I'd say they could break easy. Ball joint fitted too and I was surprised how easy this was. However after new drive, ball joint, 2 wishbone bushes and a shock mount there is still a vibration at low revs in fourth gear, anyone any ideas? It also seems likes it's wobbling (I think that kind of describes it) when accelerating whilst turning left, for example leaving a roundabout. I'm thinking based on how much work has gone on on that corner that it will likely need wheel alligned, but that shouldn't cause my symptoms or would it?
    Any adjustments/ replacements of suspension components should always finish with a wheel alignment.
    If your alignment is out then yes, you will get vibrations/ wobbling through steering.
    if it wasn't doing it prior to your repairs) then it's the most likely cause, assuming your tyres are in good shape? Whilst the garage is doing the wheel alignment have them quickly give the front suspension the once over, make sure nothing's loose or out of place. Only take them a few minutes!

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Glad it was a fairly easy/cheap fix.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

the wrong clothes!!!
    Thanks
    Bushings are only 2 weeks old so not them. It's the tyre depot here that does the alignment but the owner is a good friend so I'm sure he'll give it the once over. Tyres are only 6-8 weeks old and although I'm a taxi driver they're still in good shape. I'll get it aligned and hope that'll cure it.

BTW the wobbling has no affect on steering.
    Last edited by hrhvolvo; Tuesday 8th April 2014 at 17:09.

Thread Information