Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Crikey, some flack coming my way for this, you'd think I'd cut the car in half and stuck it back together with Superglue.

Come on folks, my choice of colour scheme is as about the worse thing here, the cuts were caused by me not being able to see through the face mask I was wearing and something I'd have been heavily criticised for not wearing. What's better, a few cuts in the wrong place or losing ones sight (potentially). No brainer really.

And some of you should remember that you had to start somewhere at some point, and probably made loads of ££££-ups along the way that you wouldn't dare admit to. Worth remembering before you start ripping in to a guy who wouldn't even pick up a spanner 2 years ago!

I'll post pictures up of the black colour scheme later, and this will just be a paint over after a rub down to get off as much rust and silver as I can. The rust is very dense and not even my wire bush on the drill would take it off.
    You have to be kidding me, I don't give a ££££ about some flaky rust being painted over, what I do care about is your total lack of understanding about what is safe and what is dangerous, the fact that you are trying to hide your bodge tells me that you think your car would fail it's MOT tomorrow (which it would) If you couldn't see properly whilst using a grinder then you shouldn't have been using a grinder. you need to get them brackets all welded up properly before one of them brakes and you kill someone. You are right, we all have to start somewhere, but most of us have common sense and know what's safe and what is not. If I knew where you were taking your car for it's MOT I would inform the Tester, then he can make his own judgement.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

2. The Following User Says Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Monday 24th March 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Claymore, I guess you're being deliberately harsh to get James thinking. But I think it's maybe a smidge OTT. From what I can see he's knicked the drop link upper mount, quite deep in one spot. It'll undoubtedly be weaker now, and yes it may fail eventually, but what's the worst that will happen? He suddenly loses use of the rear ARB. Not ideal, but I'd be amazed if it lead to a catastrophic accident under normal road use.

James needs guidance and encouragement. By all means point out mistakes but sometimes people just seem to want to knock him down and keep him down.

Edit: And for clarity, I'm not saying there's no point welding up the damage. It absolutely makes sense to do so. Like James, I wouldn't have thought at first that it would be necessary, but if those with more mechanical knowledge think it needs to be done then I'd trust that better judgement.
    Last edited by Gold 'N' Brown; Sunday 23rd March 2014 at 19:23.
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold 'N' Brown View Post
    Claymore, I guess you're being deliberately harsh to get James thinking. But I think it's maybe a smidge OTT. From what I can see he's knicked the drop link upper mount, quite deep in one spot. It'll undoubtedly be weaker now, and yes it may fail eventually, but what's the worst that will happen? He suddenly loses use of the rear ARB. Not ideal, but I'd be amazed if it lead to a catastrophic accident under normal road use.

James needs guidance and encouragement. By all means point out mistakes but sometimes people just seem to want to knock him down and keep him down.

Edit: And for clarity, I'm not saying there's no point welding up the damage. It absolutely makes sense to do so. Like James, I wouldn't have thought at first that it would be necessary, but if those with more mechanical knowledge think it needs to be done then I'd trust that better judgement.
    I agree it's only an anti roll bar bracket, but if it lets go, its going to do it half way around a roundabout, and I wouldn't want to be in the line of fire if that happens, you can not ££££ about with suspension components, the bracket that james posted up is the better of the two he cut into, this one is even worse.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

5. The Following User Says Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    im with claymore. if you cant see wear your grinding then what the hell you doing with a grinder in your hands. a pair of saftey glasses is all thats needed. theres times when a little knolodge is dangerous and this could be one of those situations.
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

7. The Following User Says Thank You to graemewelch For This Useful Post:

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    I agree it's only an anti roll bar bracket, but if it lets go, its going to do it half way around a roundabout, and I wouldn't want to be in the line of fire if that happens, you can not ££££ about with suspension components, the bracket that james posted up is the better of the two he cut into, this one is even worse.

id be very suprised if this dosnt crack.
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts
    When he comes to sell this car, no one on this forum would buy it lol. He would need to advertise it on Billy Bodge It Motors Are Us.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MIKESC70T5 For This Useful Post:

claymore (Sunday 23rd March 2014)

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKESC70T5 View Post
    When he comes to sell this car, no one on this forum would buy it lol. He would need to advertise it on Billy Bodge It Motors Are Us.
    I don't intend to sell it anyway so no hardship there.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I don't understand why there are so many cuts as I presume you were just trying to split the nut.
    Might have been better if you had used ultra thin discs for the job as well ,but they can be more dangerous if you don't know how to use them.
    Im with claymore on this one,My tester would just fail the car as they are getting stricter now as there lives are on the line if anything happens.
    I'm not blaming you for trying to tackle the job though but I think you should have tried cutting scrap metal first.
    Please take it to a local blacksmith and get it all welded up.It wont cost much to do a proper job and make you and your family safe

Don't forget it might not only be your life that's at stake .

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmie For This Useful Post:

claymore (Sunday 23rd March 2014),LeeT5 (Monday 24th March 2014),volvokid (Monday 24th March 2014)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    I think the best route forward is to pop it through the mot and then find someone to weld and make good the linkage mounting points, the same could be done with the arb or it could be swapped for a better one and you would then have the peace of mind that everythings ok below, cause as a few have mentioned if the arb should suddenly let go, for instance hard cornering even at 60mph, I'd hate to think what could happen even if a year or 2 down the road...
    Last edited by MoleT-5R; Sunday 23rd March 2014 at 22:44. Reason: can't spell for toffee

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Yep never mind the paint get the linkage points welded yes you are only starting out and learning so take the good advice on the chin and get the work done once welded it can be ground back smooth but please let some one else do the grinding lol.
    pedro do you do grinder lessons?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t5 pete For This Useful Post:

claymore (Monday 24th March 2014),MoleT-5R (Sunday 23rd March 2014)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t5 pete View Post
    Yep never mind the paint get the linkage points welded yes you are only starting out and learning so take the good advice on the chin and get the work done once welded it can be ground back smooth but please let some one else do the grinding lol.
    pedro do you do grinder lessons?
    only lessons in lightening and it looks like james had had some and already started on lightweight mounting points....lol

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

t5 pete (Sunday 23rd March 2014)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    I do think that James's heart is in the right place and I commend you, James, for 'giving it a bash' and trying to save yourself some money. However, all the comments posted are justified no matter how harsh. Had you not posted the pictures, you may well have had a serious accident later on and indeed, possibly killed or injured somebody, because none of us would have known, including yourself, what a hash of the job you've done. The repercussions for you (James) would have been very, very serious!
    My professional opinion would be for you to stop anymore modifying of your car yourself that involves going anywhere near the brakes, suspension or electrics. What you do to your engine won't matter if it breaks down!
    There's a lot to be said about good ole 'common dog' and Claymore is right about your inept ability and no experience with a grinder.
    I do hope you listen to what has been said and inwardly digest.
    Having ppl help you is one thing, so long as they know what their doing. Doing it on your own only raises eyebrows and to be honest, makes me cringe.

Getting a face full of hot engine oil is laughable and you quickly learn from your mistakes but losing control of your car at 70mph on a dual carriageway and causing a fatality is not. I don't think you realise the seriousness of your actions sometimes, especially with your ARB mounts.

Stick to routine servicing (not the brakes thou) and I think you will be safe.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

claymore (Monday 24th March 2014),Jimmie (Monday 24th March 2014)

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Not being funny james but you have posted this on a public forum, imagen if something happens and investigators find this you would probably be charged.
    Thanks
    Martyn

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvokid For This Useful Post:

claymore (Monday 24th March 2014),MIKESC70T5 (Monday 24th March 2014)

Thread Information