Join Today

Thread: Timing

Wierdly beardly

Thanks

Timing

... not engine timing, just lucky timing

As some of you will have read, I've been after some jewel headlamps for the V70R for a while and keep missing them. Well yesterday I was looking at an ME7 manifold on ebay and I had one of those feelings - if I look for the jewels I just might be lucky. Well roger me backwards if I didn't find a set lol. They'd only been listed 20mins before so I dropped the seller a PM and viola, I now have a set of jewel headlamps and indicators Not cheap, but less than some peeps on here are asking, so I'm happy! Going to fit my 4x NightBreaker Unlimiteds in them so there should be a big improvement of lighting too!

I'll post some pics once they're fitted, which will be next weekend most likely.
    Currently - '96 850R auto

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    Finally got around to fitting the jewels last night...

Name:  newheadlamp.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  173.0 KB

HUGE difference, really impressed with the updated look. Got some NightBreaker Unlimited bulbs in them so I reckon they'll be like searchlights now It took a bit longer to fit them than I anticipated as I had to remove the LPG ECU and fart about with that - the ECU casing was rubbing on the battery positive lead so I've remounted it and moved the battery cable routing too. There is always something...

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

This user has no status

Thanks
    Looks good

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    You know I said there is always something...

After altering the battery positive cable routing, the terminal has become hot. Very hot, in fact so much that I'm not driving the car at the moment I reckon the cable has come loose or broken in the terminal as the battery cable itself isn't getting hot, its just the terminal. So tonight's job is to replace the terminal, and while I'm at it replace some of the dodgy wiring connectors from the LPG ECU.

The good news is that during my investigation into the hot terminal I also found the source of my LPG leak One gas hose that only leaks when disturbed - but boy does it hiss then! So that hose is going to be replaced tonight, and I'm also ordering a gas pressure sender as that also seems to have a small leak - maybe a perished diaphragm inside?

I think I'm going to do the PCV service during the summer - it was done a few years ago, but I think I'll do it again and reinstall the LPG system while the manifold is off. I seem to be replacing sections of gas hose and vacuum hose all the time, so I think I'll just replace the lot of be done with it.

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    I changed the positive battery cable terminal last night - luckily I was right in that the problem was in the terminal area and not further down the cable. Only the terminal was getting hot, so I cut off the heat shrink insulation over the terminal leg ... which revealed a lovely ring of burnt cable insulation -

Name:  batterycable.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  107.0 KB

The outer strands of the battery cable had corroded and snapped, and so were arcing between the cable end and the terminal when the engine was running, hence the hot terminal. I cut it off trying to preserve as much cable length as I could (I didn't want to have to replace the full cable last night). I just managed to secure it to a new terminal that I had in the garage and leave a bit of flex in the cable, so that'll do for now but I will replace the battery-starter cable in entirety later on. I also replaced the terminals on the LPG ECU wiring which were very loose - how they had electrical conductivity baffles me as there were only a few strands left!

So tonight I'll be replacing the LPG MAF/pressure sensor which is leaking, along with one of the LPG hoses. After that I'll feel safe to drive it again! All in all, the summer is looking to be extremely busy...

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    LPG hoses replaced... and we now have a fart free V70 Hopefully the mpg will go up now too!

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Looks stunning bud, im always suprised how naff the standard lights are on our Volvo's, The Night breaker's are awesome bulbs and now with your new lamps i reckon you will be right in what you saying "search lights" lol.

I put some Lucas 90% brighter bulbs in Blacky just before i sold her, and they really did improve the headlights no end

8. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

RollingThunder (Friday 4th April 2014)

Thread Information