Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

1997 volvo 940 2.3 lpt tuning advice please

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and reasonably new to Volvo's, I'm getting mine (1997 volvo 940 2.3 lpt torslanda) in the next month or so and am looking at the usual mods: exhaust, intake, rising rate FPR. i am also looking at either running a lot more boost (approx 20psi) from the stock turbo or worst case a bigger (t3 or g15) turbo and running the green injectors I've heard so much about.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321196442392?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch% 2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D32119 6442392%26_rdc%3D1[/URL]

know this is where I'm a bit hesitant and i lack some knowledge, this is where some help would be much appreciated.

are these correct? are these a direct replacement? no modification required to get the to fit and work?

I've heard of a resistor mod, using a ballast resistor to lower the resistance. do i need one or do i need four, how do i wire them in, how do i no Im getting the rite resistor(s)

i understand i will need, or at least its a good idea to run a 3" MAF sensor to get the most out of these injectors, i also intend to get it re-mapped which i believe is a chipping job and most likely run an uprated intercooler, the general stuff to support these mods and get the best out of them.

some help with these injectors would be much appreciated, i will upload some photos when i get the vehicle.

thank you

no experience but has
    enthusiasm aplenty

Thanks
    First off hi there and welcome to the forum.

secondly sorry for the delay in replying and apologies to the responce your question recieved.

As a first level your 13c will be at max 13psi, add to that a free flowing exhaust with timing and fuel chip you'll be at about 200-220bhp.
    A 15g will be a straight swap apart from clocking (rotating housings for rwd) and you'll be 220-240. At this point if you've got a wideband and monitoring your afrs may still be in the range of standard injectors.

This would be ideal time to get to know your volvo and improve the handling and brakes before going further.

After the 15g you have available a few volvo fitment td04 turbos from 16t-19t that will take you up to 300bhp. These again will be a fairly easy fitment apart from larger downpipe being required.But with the bigger turbos you'll need a 3" maf or remount the standard in a 3" case , intercooler and bigger throttle body.
    The injectors You linked are correct and will indeed fit straight in.......but as you stated the ballast resistor that the 940 has already will need to be removed for the impedence difference. This is just a case of fitting some links.

There are also some volvo camshafts from n/a models that will again fit and give some increase.

After 300bhp best to fit steel rods but they're not too expensive.

Go for it, at the price you can pick 940s up for and the cheap tuning potential with quality motoring don't think you can go far wrong.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to artfulflounder For This Useful Post:

960kg (Wednesday 19th March 2014),chazz.stockham (Monday 17th March 2014),tobya (Wednesday 16th April 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    great information, exactly what i was after, much appreciated and very quickly (unlike other forums i mite add) thank you.

I intend to lower it in the standard format of lowering springs (so 40mm all round) and poly bushes, I'll get some of those 'stuff' brake pads, will get the color appropriate to hp when its done.

would you have any information on where i can get/what throttle bodies would fit and be appropriate for a 300hp car please?

getting the car from my old man, like i say in about a months time (when i get paid) needs a few casual bits doing to it so he upgraded to a new model and asked if i wanted first dibs on the 940, looking at the mighty low insurance costs and this forum as well as others, your quite rite tuning potential is amazing and should be nice sleeper when its done.

i notice your in norwich I'm in thetford myself, funny its a small world sometimes.

thanks again

no experience but has
    enthusiasm aplenty

Thanks
    Thetford ......used to work on Edinburgh way.lol

Search for a 012 AMM (maf) from a 91-94 Volvo 960 along with the throttle body and bobs your uncle 3".
    certain 960 saloons also have stiffer sway bars then the 940 which will improve handling.
    Also a camber mod as per volvo instructions that also makes a big difference
    http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=230362

There is actually a forum member here from norwich that will be able to chip your car.
    Remove boost cut, raise rev limit and alter fuel maps for your specific car rather than a generic chip.

With regards to brake pads from what i've read so far the best ones are volvo standard fitment.

Before you start though make sure basics are done first i.e cam belt,tensioner, plugs, leads and the pcv breather is clean.

Anyway you need to stick a few pics up
    Last edited by artfulflounder; Monday 17th March 2014 at 21:42.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artfulflounder For This Useful Post:

960kg (Wednesday 19th March 2014),chazz.stockham (Tuesday 18th March 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    excellent cheers,
    its nice to have an idea of what vehicles have "interchangeable' parts, dose this tuner advertise on here or can you give me his details please.

its a few months down the line to having it all done but nice to have an idea of where your going, who you can talk to and to no of somebody well in the know about these things.

will stick before photo's up as soon as i get it and after photo's when its done, fancy getting it dyno'd before and after as well.

thanks again.

Thread Information