Join Today
    Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Exclamation Squeaky Steering

What the hec's going on now, just get the new clutch and flywheel sorted and now the damn steering wheel is squeaking when turning tightly in to a space or on to drive etc. I thought I heard a slight 'grrrrrr' earlier too (a bit like when you crunch the gears on the gearbox).

This better not be steering rack now or I'll go freaking nuts!

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Is it coming fron the wheel itself or from the bottom of the column? Is the gaitor in the footwell fitted properly? Had that when my clutch was done, they didn't put the rubber boot back on the column properly and the thing would fart when you go from lock to lock.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Thursday 6th March 2014)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Is it coming fron the wheel itself or from the bottom of the column? Is the gaitor in the footwell fitted properly? Had that when my clutch was done, they didn't put the rubber boot back on the column properly and the thing would fart when you go from lock to lock.
    "Fart" love it, perhaps my cabin filter will 'filter' that one out.

I did actually look at that gaiter and I noticed a bit was sticking up so I've pushed it down. When I get the other half from work I'll see if it's helped.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    James i hope you catch your tail one day
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    It's just the gaitor, panic over and Graeme, my car has come on leaps and bounds since I first had it, it might not be to the standard of most of the cars on this forum but it's getting there slowly and I will be turning this in to a very nice example!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

graemewelch (Thursday 6th March 2014),M-R-P (Friday 7th March 2014)

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Its not just the car that's come on James. I remember when you first joined the forum, you were almost frightened to take a spanner to the car, you should be pretty pleased with yourself mate. Keep up the good work.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Friday 7th March 2014)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Its not just the car that's come on James. I remember when you first joined the forum, you were almost frightened to take a spanner to the car, you should be pretty pleased with yourself mate. Keep up the good work.
    You're right there, I've learned just the tip of the iceberg but a lot more than I knew when I first got it.

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    You're right there, I've learned just the tip of the iceberg but a lot more than I knew when I first got it.
    Confidence is the key James. You are prepared to give it a go and do it methodically. It's like anything I suppose, practice makes you better.
    Me: 2005 V70 2.4 T5 SE. All standard.
    The Wife: 2008 C70 2.5 T5 SE. All standard.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to silverhorse For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Friday 7th March 2014)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    If my memory serves me right, the steering gaitor at the bottom of the shaft, where it goes through the bulkhead, has a bearing in it? So if not fitted correctly, it will squeak, rub, grind etc. Mine did that once when i was investigating my steering play. The dealer fitted a new UJ but didn't fit the gaitor properly. Easy fix, nice one Martin.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information