Join Today

Thread: Switch bulbs

This user has no status

Thanks

Question Switch bulbs

Where can i get interior switch bulbs from thks

This user has no status

Thanks
    Do you mean the tiny ones that illuminate each individual switch? White plastic, twist-lock fitting? I had no success, when searching for some for my now defunct V70 P1, so I bought some tiny, 12v bulbs from Rapid Electronic Components and repaired mine. I think the bulbs are called "grain of rice" - they're about 3mm diameter. They are quite cheap - about 12p each - but that's also a problem, as the lifespan will not be as good as the OEM originals. It's a little fiddly, threading the wires in and bending them into position - and a pair of very fine wirecutters are good for neatly trimming off the ends.

I've since managed to find these bulbs on a bulb website, but they're not cheap. A Volvo dealer would probably have them (or be able to get them), but again, not cheap.

I'd like to see an LED replacement, but I think it's a little too niche for the LED companies to consider. The only answer would be to create your own, using a miniature LED package, suitable resistor and some epoxy potting compound (plus the original plastic holder). I have a few spares from my V70. I may have a go at making up an LED unit, when time permits
    Last edited by Darkstar-SFX; Sunday 2nd March 2014 at 00:07. Reason: Typo!
    1994 850 GL manual, estate - worn out
    1997 V70 T5 auto, estate - engine blown
    1994 850 T5 auto, estate - stolen, used in ram-raid, then burnt-out
    Now driving 1996 850R auto, estate

This user has no status

Thanks
    The bulbs are known as "Grain of Wheat" you can find them on the bay for next to nothing, Maplins sell them, most decent model shops (trains/ dolls houses) will also stock them - Mike

This user has no status

Thanks
    as above "grain of wheat" the last lot I got were 40mA 14V
    Current Cars
    2000 PII T5 - 207K
    2000 PI V70 - 147K
    Previous Cars
    1996 855 GLT - over 300k

Thread Information