Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Clunk Click, every trip!

Now then, now then....

When I went to buy my 850R, everything seemed fine. The seller had stated that the engine and gearbox were both "in excellent order with no clunks, rattles or smoke".

Soon after purchase however, I noticed a significant "clunk" when shifting the auto box from one direction to the other - particularly noticeable when putting it in reverse. It's sometimes also noticeable at low speed when I take-up or ease-off on the throttle. Otherwise, the box seems to be running fine in all settings.

I've checked the ATF level. I've even taken the somewhat odd precaution of pumping out 5L of ATF fluid and replacing with new (as I didn't have time or money to do a full change) I reasoned that some new would be better than none.

The paperwork that came with the car shows that the box was rebuilt (at a cost of £1578) in December 02, at 51k, after a persistent fault code from the speed sensor, which it says had been "worn away by a fault in the gearbox. (I suspect a previous owner was "reamed"!)

I'm no mechanic (but I'm learning fast) and am hoping it's just play in a CV joint, or some other linkage - and not the box failing again? Car had 124K when bought - now 131K.

What say you good people?
    1994 850 GL manual, estate - worn out
    1997 V70 T5 auto, estate - engine blown
    1994 850 T5 auto, estate - stolen, used in ram-raid, then burnt-out
    Now driving 1996 850R auto, estate

Astra Van Owner
    Just shut up and drive!
    Thanks
    Is this the same as the P2 cars... Stretch bolt on the hub needing replacing? Had the same very loud clonking on mine front offside until I changed the bolt (supplied by Graeme Welch). Clonking gone.

2011 Mercedes E63 AMG

Previous:
    2001 BMW E39 M5, LeMans Blue, grey/black two tone leather ** 2014 XC60 D4 Bright Silver, Black leather, walnut ** 1999 C70 T5 ** 2003 V70R Flash Green/Nordkap - now my dad's "big green Astra Van" ** 1990 Lotus Elan M100 Se Turbo, Calypso Red ** 2001 S60 2.0T Silver ** 1986 Porsche 944 2.5 Lux ** 1982 Porsche 944 2.5 Lux ** Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 ** Vauxhall Nova - 993cc monster

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Engine mounts possibly

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirtydog View Post
    Is this the same as the P2 cars... Stretch bolt on the hub needing replacing? Had the same very loud clonking on mine front offside until I changed the bolt (supplied by Graeme Welch). Clonking gone.
    No mate, 850s have a hub nut, not a bolt, always worth checking they're tight though.

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    To me it sounds like a cv joint, either a inner or outer.

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

6. The Following User Says Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:

Darkstar-SFX (Sunday 23rd February 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    It has recently had poly bushes fitted, so I don't think it's the mounts. I'll get the hub nuts checked, in case - but will concentrate on the possibility if it being a cv joint.

Meanwhile, I need to sort my leaky rad ASAP! I'm already lining up a nice, new set of blue silicone pipework. Damn you, performance monkeys, for infecting me with silicone desire!
    1994 850 GL manual, estate - worn out
    1997 V70 T5 auto, estate - engine blown
    1994 850 T5 auto, estate - stolen, used in ram-raid, then burnt-out
    Now driving 1996 850R auto, estate

Thread Information