Join Today
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Lee, it's rare for you to ask others for advice on here, you're normally the guy waving all the answers at us and telling us where the garages have gone wrong. Interesting to see the opposite situation right now!
    The real problem Lee has is he can't get into the cars software to read the fault.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    So it does sound like software problem then.
    You'd think so, but I think it's the car not my DICE. after all, I know the software is ok. I have tried VIDA 2012A and 2013A. In both instances DICE communicates with the laptop and software, yet only partially communicates with the car, ie, it will tell me battery voltage and laptop will tell me which version of DICE is connected but it will not communicate with the car. Doesn't even recognise it! I'm resigned to the fact that I may be looking at a big bill soon because it will explain the issues I was having end of last year with my lights, remember??
    The dealer had the car in for half a day and could not rectify the problem, even going so far as trying a brand new light switch. That fault has not been rectified as the switch is just set to DRLs on, side, on. So the lights are all the time (which I don't mind) and I was warned I may have a CEM fault.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    You'd think so, but I think it's the car not my DICE. after all, I know the software is ok. I have tried VIDA 2012A and 2013A. In both instances DICE communicates with the laptop and software, yet only partially communicates with the car, ie, it will tell me battery voltage and laptop will tell me which version of DICE is connected but it will not communicate with the car. Doesn't even recognise it! I'm resigned to the fact that I may be looking at a big bill soon because it will explain the issues I was having end of last year with my lights, remember??
    The dealer had the car in for half a day and could not rectify the problem, even going so far as trying a brand new light switch. That fault has not been rectified as the switch is just set to DRLs on, side, on. So the lights are all the time (which I don't mind) and I was warned I may have a CEM fault.
    I think,like you said pull it out and have a very good look at the plugs/pins around there,is the windscreen still the first one in the car or has it been changed just thinking if its leaked and let any water in,have you looked under the scuttle panel at the way the harness enters the car ,seals look good.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Lee, it's rare for you to ask others for advice on here, you're normally the guy waving all the answers at us and telling us where the garages have gone wrong. Interesting to see the opposite situation right now!
    What's your point James?
    The point of me posting this thread is because, somebody else in the future may have similar issues - therefore, when it's finally fixed this thread will hopefully help someone else out.
    As Harvey has said, I cannot communicate with my car therefore I am unable to rectify my fault(s).
    I am posting because I may have missed something out! Or maybe I do have a faulty MAF and also my CEM is f*****! Either way, it's a learning curve for me and it will be fixed, sooner or later - Clearly not with a 10mm spanner and a screwdriver thou! Eh?

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    I think,like you said pull it out and have a very good look at the plugs/pins around there,is the windscreen still the first one in the car or has it been changed just thinking if its leaked and let any water in,have you looked under the scuttle panel at the way the harness enters the car ,seals look good.
    Windscreen is original mate. I've not pulled out the CEM, it's a massive job. Mine does have the modified harness hood and therefore, most likely, not contaminated by water ingress.

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    What's your point James?
    The point of me posting this thread is because, somebody else in the future may have similar issues - therefore, when it's finally fixed this thread will hopefully help someone else out.
    As Harvey has said, I cannot communicate with my car therefore I am unable to rectify my fault(s).
    I am posting because I may have missed something out! Or maybe I do have a faulty MAF and also my CEM is f*****! Either way, it's a learning curve for me and it will be fixed, sooner or later - Clearly not with a 10mm spanner and a screwdriver thou! Eh?
    Woah, don't take it so personally, it was just an observation not an insult to your expertise!

Personally, if there is communication issues and boost problems and such like, I'm no aficionado but I'd say you're ECU might be popping it's cloggs.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Woah, don't take it so personally, it was just an observation not an insult to your expertise!

Personally, if there is communication issues and boost problems and such like, I'm no aficionado but I'd say you're ECU might be popping it's cloggs.
    The problem is the not with the engines ECM it's the CEM of the network.
    If the dice can't find it then there's a real problem as the cars network can't work as it should.
    The fuel pump is controlled via the network as well.

Last edited by Harvey; Thursday 27th February 2014 at 20:18.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

graemewelch (Thursday 27th February 2014),LeeT5 (Thursday 27th February 2014)

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    The problem is the not with the engines ECU it's the CEM of the network.

I'm glad they didn't pack our cars full of control modules. lol

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    I'm glad they didn't pack our cars full of control modules. lol
    Sorry the wife's car that who will have to fix then...

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    In a quest to find the culprit I removed and cleaned my Throttle module and gave it a dam good clean.
    Also used a smidge of Hylomar on the gasket to ensure no air leaks.
    First drive for an hour and the difference is noticeable. She idles smoother and seems to accelerate cleaner, however, after about 30 minutes the idle started to fluctuate again (slightly) and boost under load is hesitant. I am now getting correct boost pressure so I guess the new TCV is a slow learner.
    So, I'm beginning to think I have either a faulty MAF or a faulty Throttle module. I think Volvo will be the best place next as I still can't get my ££££ing DICE working.

Only other thing I know need s doing desperately is the PCV system. That's for the spring.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by LeeT5; Friday 7th March 2014 at 19:25.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi, just my two pennies worth. At the end of last year my 2001 t5 started running like poo, stalling, poor idle etc etc throwing codes relating to MAF issues. Before then it ran perfect. Due to poor funds I bought a cheap fleabay maf. It now all works but I too have hesitant boost, poor idling et times (usually when hot) . I'm just about to get an oe maf and hopefully all should be back to normal. Looking back at past threads, maf,s on these cars are a pain and could be your problem. Hope this helps, good luck sorting it.
    Cheers
    Paul

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sperm1980 View Post
    Hi, just my two pennies worth. At the end of last year my 2001 t5 started running like poo, stalling, poor idle etc etc throwing codes relating to MAF issues. Before then it ran perfect. Due to poor funds I bought a cheap fleabay maf. It now all works but I too have hesitant boost, poor idling et times (usually when hot) . I'm just about to get an oe maf and hopefully all should be back to normal. Looking back at past threads, maf,s on these cars are a pain and could be your problem. Hope this helps, good luck sorting it.
    Cheers
    Paul
    Cheers Paul. I replaced my MAF 3 years ago with a genuine Bosch unit for Volvo. Since then the car ran brilliant. I really do hope it's not the MAF again!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Great cars these but it just goes to show that even with the best kept examples, when they go bad, they go bad!

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Great cars these but it just goes to show that even with the best kept examples, when they go bad, they go bad!
    Not really mate, it's just a minor fault that I can't get to the bottom of yet.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sperm1980 View Post
    Cheers
    Paul
    How did you get on? Did the MAF sort it?

This user has no status

Thanks
    I had enough the other day of unstable idle and it miss fired hard when 6up the other day. So I got a Bosch maf and engine lights not returned, no squeel under hard boost, perfect idle 850rpm continuously and holds boost hard. I've had replaced Tcv, gaskets, Pcv , injectors, vacuum pipes, spark plugs , bought mikalor clamps, tightened everything up plus more and nothing fixed it. Yet I changed the maf and it literally vanished. So glad i did, as now I'm love my R again.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Ok, thanks.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Update:

Last week I spent sodding around with car. Not visited dealer yet (holding off). Good news is, I've eliminated TCV. I put my old (known working IPD mk1 TCV) back on and road tested. Obviously I went through the painstaking process of 'ecu learning' and it has made f*** all difference! So refitted new mk2 TCV and tried again. Same symptoms.
    So, removed BSR remap and went back to oe map. The car was almost undriveable with IPD TCV. After attempting learning process 4 times, resetting ECM and deleted DTCs I still could not get the car to boost stable above 12psi. It spikes and then goes into limp mode and will not boost at all, barely 3psi at best and was so lathargic.
    So, DTCs cleared, BSR remap loaded, and ECM reset. I then attempted learning process again. This time it was successful and I'm now getting peak and stable boost at 16psi.
    Only thing I notice is the car will instantly come off boost when the throttle gets to a certain point and it's quite violent and jerky, if I'm approx 50% throttle.
    So I'm now almost 99% certain I have either a throttle fault or, more likely, a faulty MAF.
    For now the car is drive able and I only hope the ECM adapts to the TCV better over time. Clearly, the IPD TCV is a very slow learner and I will be interested in seeing how you get on Harvey with your IPD TCV.
    To confirm, I have checked and checked again ALL vac hoses and turbo pipes. All are free from debris and fitted correctly. There are no splits either. The only two DTCs that kept reoccurring was ECM6805 and ECM130A.
    I know from when I went to MRG my MAF readings were high but just within spec on live readings. So maybe the MAF has gone out of tolerance and the ECM is trying to adjust. Causing the intermittent fluctuating idle and harsh boost symptoms.
    For now, the car is drive able so she will be going to the dealer in April for further tests.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Ive got the mk2 tcv and i had no issues what so ever with it adapting. Ive no idea is that is of any use to you. Im sure youll get it sorted soon though.
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

21. The Following User Says Thank You to graemewelch For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Friday 28th March 2014)

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    after reading this thread, it would seem like a maf issue

23. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Friday 28th March 2014)

Thread Information