Join Today
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Unbannable
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    I don`t understand the figures either ....but looking at it logically which this may be the reason for the wrong or expected figures!........

The pic. of the 850R MAF the sensor part which reads the volume of air is in the centre of the MAF which it has to be to read the volume correctly also the design of the sensor with it`s thicker holder would of been calculated into the equation as it will effect the volume of air going past.

The pic. of the BMW MAF holder with the Volvo sensor in, the sensor is not in the centre of the holder so therefore you won`t get a proper reading of volume!

Also if you compare the Youtube pic. of the BMW MAF holder with it`s own sensor you will see although the pic. is on an angle the sensor is in the centre of the holder and is extremely thin to avoid any loss of volume of air going past and also will read the volume accurately.

I think the reason it is lean is because the 850R sensor is off centre in the BMW holder and so it is only capable of reading less but more air is going past due to it`s diameter.

Can you not use the BMW sensor or are the electrical ohms etc different or if you have a spare 850 sensor try modifying to go deeper into the holder to be central and also trim some plastic off it?

Good Luck

Could it have something to do with forced air hitting the sides of the MAF and causing pockets of turbulance which is why sensor is normally located at the centre. Not really sure but it seems to make sense in my head at least

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oblark View Post
    I understand where you are coming from with the 850 sensor not being in the middle of the housing. The formula that I`m using with the maf editor software take in to account that the 850 sensor is not in the middle of the housing.

When I moved the sensor even more away from the centre of the housing my kg/hr readings where closer to the values in the maf editor software.
    But that would make sense Rob as the more off centre the sensor is the more correct the MAF editor software readings are because as you say it allows for it!

Quote Originally Posted by ExternalError View Post
    Could it have something to do with forced air hitting the sides of the MAF and causing pockets of turbulance which is why sensor is normally located at the centre. Not really sure but it seems to make sense in my head at least

I don`t know but surely the larger BMW MAF is designed to work with it`s own more slender sensor in it`s centre......so really the nearer to the same shape as the original would be best, which is why i just suggested playing with the 850 sensor to allow it to get nearer the centre and also trim some plastic from it to make it more slender and as you say it would minimize turbulence of the measured air!

One thing seems definite ......the sensor is not accurately measuring the volume of air going past as the mix is lean!

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    The scaling for the 3.25" maf over the standard maf is 1.94 using the maf editor I`ve got. My one and only O2 sensor is brand new
    The scaling factor I mentioned was from here, page 10

http://www.paerl.it/volvo/Volvo%20Motronic%204.4.pdf

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    But that would make sense Rob as the more off centre the sensor is the more correct the MAF editor software readings are because as you say it allows for it!

I don`t know but surely the larger BMW MAF is designed to work with it`s own more slender sensor in it`s centre......so really the nearer to the same shape as the original would be best, which is why i just suggested playing with the 850 sensor to allow it to get nearer the centre and also trim some plastic from it to make it more slender and as you say it would minimize turbulence of the measured air!

One thing seems definite ......the sensor is not accurately measuring the volume of air going past as the mix is lean!
    The BMW sensor is exactly the same as the Volvo one, the only difference is the plug. There are a number of people using this maf and table with no problems. Rob has a very odd issue. I would like him to get to the bottom of this, he has spent a lot of time on it. I can't see it, possible faulty ECU? I suppose its worth trying another.
    1997 V70R FWD Manual

608 Modded ECU with Ostrich 2.0, COP Conversion, ITG Filter, 3.5" MAF, 3" intake, 18t turbo, Do88 Intercooler, RIP, 3" TB, 750cc EV14 injectors, AEM 320 Fuel Pump, 3" Cat back, Spartan2 Wideband

Lowered 40mm, Poly Subframe inserts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Avinitlarge For This Useful Post:

oblark (Sunday 20th July 2014)

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Avinitlarge View Post
    The BMW sensor is exactly the same as the Volvo one, the only difference is the plug. There are a number of people using this maf and table with no problems. Rob has a very odd issue. I would like him to get to the bottom of this, he has spent a lot of time on it. I can't see it, possible faulty ECU? I suppose its worth trying another.
    I`ve sent my bin file to Maarten who is going to check it in HxD, I hope to god it`s not a ecu problem but I`m on the look out for another one to do the same mod that you`ve done

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    The maf upper & lower tables didn`t match, thats why the logged values didn`t match the values in the maf table.

Thats that problem sorted on to the next, my LTFT_PL

My LTFT_PL is @+29.69 which is way to high, I`ve tried all different values but with no joy.

I know I was adding to much fuel as the car back fired everytime I changed gear.

Will get they in the end
    Last edited by oblark; Tuesday 22nd July 2014 at 20:42.

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

8. The Following User Says Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:

claymore (Tuesday 22nd July 2014)

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    The maf upper & lower tables didn`t match, thats why the logged values didn`t match the values in the maf table.

Thats that problem sorted on to the next, my LTFT_PL

My LTFT_PL is @+29.69 which is way to high, I`ve tried all different values but with no joy.

I know I was adding to much fuel as the car back fired everytime I changed gear.

Will get they in the end
    Over run on.lift.off is good I say keep it, do you get flames?

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

claymore (Tuesday 22nd July 2014)

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    After going through a load of data logging, text files and xld files I thing I've found the problem.

Now I dont want to tell how I've come to this conclusion as it is complicated and it will go straight over your heads

but I need a new fuel filter.

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Well I`ve changed the fuel filter and guess what still the same, So I`ve done some testing with different injectors/maf`s. The idea is to get the LTFT_PL to be as close to zero as posible on idle and while driving.

Whites with 3.25 maf @ idle

Whites with 3.25 maf driving

Whites with stock maf @ idle

Whites with stock maf driving

So the problem looks like it`s the 3.25 maf/maf table. I`m going to send the white/stock maf bin file to Piet who is goin to convert it to run the 3.25 maf as something is wierd is going on with my maf table convertor software.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Monday 28th July 2014)

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Yep, seems that way.

Hopefully Piet can get the right values for you.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Still want the squirters checked Rob?
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    well at least you found whats bugging it up,good news

full respray..plenty of body mods..comets..ray cat back noise pipe..decat and wrapped downpipe..me7 exhaust manifold..3" throttle body with ported inlet manifold..blue injectors..adjustable fuel reg..reverse intercooler pipework..19t..open cone air filter..255 fuel pump..m-r-p short shift..boost gauge..unknown remap..adjustable suspension..lightweight crank pulley..n/a cams..stripped out interior..and a heavy right foot

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Still want the squirters checked Rob?
    I`m holding fire on them at the moment, I`ll see what comes back about the maf table

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    On Piet`s recomemdation I`ve checked the sensor too housing fit.

Sorry for the picture quality as they where taken on my phone.

I discovered that the 850 (right) sensors o ring is 6mm from the flange and the BMW (left) sensors o ring is 10mm from the flange.

Also the BMW maf housing has a 6mm deep chamfer whilst the volvo one only has a 2mm chamfer.

BMW maf housing.

Volvo maf housing.

So the o ring on the 850 sensor is not sealing againt the BMW housing as it sits where the chamfer is, to overcome this little problem I`ll get a thicker o ring tomorrow from work.

Then I`ll refit the maf with Piet`s bin file.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Monday 28th July 2014),theflyingbrick (Monday 28th July 2014)

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Hmm, so it may be leaking then
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
    Hmm, so it may be leaking then
    It looks like it could of been, but only slightly.

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    slightly would be enough to cause grief on a standard tune so i reckon itll cause havoc on yours!!

full respray..plenty of body mods..comets..ray cat back noise pipe..decat and wrapped downpipe..me7 exhaust manifold..3" throttle body with ported inlet manifold..blue injectors..adjustable fuel reg..reverse intercooler pipework..19t..open cone air filter..255 fuel pump..m-r-p short shift..boost gauge..unknown remap..adjustable suspension..lightweight crank pulley..n/a cams..stripped out interior..and a heavy right foot

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    The o ring on the 850 sensor is 3mm, so I`ve fitted a 4mm and its sealed the sensor to the housing.

The first picture is the 850 o ring and sensor, the second picture is the with the 4mm o ring, it pulled in nicely when the screws where done up.

I`ll go for a drive later on once the rush hour traffic has died down and report back

24. The Following User Says Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:

claymore (Tuesday 29th July 2014)

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Loaded the bin file Piet checked for me and result one happy bunny

Here two screenshots first is at idle and the second one is driving.

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    wow thats a big difference!! just a little leak huh? glad you sorted it mate

Thread Information