Join Today

Thread: cooking on gas!

Wierdly beardly

Thanks

Cool cooking on gas!

I've been running the V70R on petrol since I picked it up as the first time I tried to refill on gas, the car was enveloped in a horrible hazy cloud! Yikes! So I assumed that the filler or filler pipe was leaking... well this morning I was filling up at a different station, my local Morrisons, and I glanced at the next pump over to me - an LPG pump with a different type filler nozzle (the twist and pull back lever type).

Me being me, I tried hooking up the gas nozzle - no cloud of gas, just a satisfying 'psst'. So I filled up the gas tank as well £18 to fill the tank lol. I've zeroed the trip to see how far that'll get me, but to say I'm a happy bunny is a huge understatement - 24mpg on petrol isn't that much better than the 25mpg on diesel from my old Discovery - which I am selling because it was costing too much to run!

Off to see Simon next weekend to service the LPG system, then I can start enjoying the car instead of spending £100s a week on it!
    Currently - '96 850R auto

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Cool let the savings begin!

Try not to thrash it on gas tho, it burns a lot hotter and you don't want to melt anything
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

RollingThunder (Friday 14th February 2014)

VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Ive ran my 850R on gas for nearly 3 years and 20000+ miles, as long as you have it services annually then you shouldnt have any troubles. its nice kinowing that you atre doing the equivelient of 60mpg in a T5 on a run.

Join a group called countrywide farmers (free) and they sell gas at their filling stations for 52-54p a litre keeerrrrchhiiinnngggg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nealevo For This Useful Post:

RollingThunder (Friday 14th February 2014)

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    am I correct in thinking that technically you get a worse mpg on gas than petrol , but you save as it is cheaper to buy ?

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Cool let the savings begin!

Try not to thrash it on gas tho, it burns a lot hotter and you don't want to melt anything
    I thought that was the case too, but when I mentioned it on another forum (Landrover) I was shot down in flames, but I'm glad I'm not the only one believing it! I very rarely cane the car to be honest, just like the thought that if I wanted to (beat pretty much anything else on the road) I could

Quote Originally Posted by partsforvolvos.com View Post
    am I correct in thinking that technically you get a worse mpg on gas than petrol , but you save as it is cheaper to buy ?
    I've heard you do get perhaps 10% less mpg than when running on petrol, but as its around 60% of the price of petrol, you save a lot overall. I'm expecting it to work out at around 45mpg petrol equivalent.

Nealevo - I just googled countrywide farmers (thanks) but they don't have any outlets oop North Shame that, but thanks for the tip all the same
    Last edited by RollingThunder; Friday 14th February 2014 at 12:31. Reason: merged 3 posts !

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

Thanks
    Landrover engines aren't really powerful enough to worry about hot-running so I imagine they're right in their own way.

I've seen melted plugs on T5 engines.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    Ouch. I've just bought some Bosch platinum ones - they should be ok yes??? (getting a bit worried now!)

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealevo View Post
    Join a group called countrywide farmers.....
    I would rather cut my 'man sausage' off

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Landrover engines aren't really powerful enough to worry about hot-running so I imagine they're right in their own way.

I've seen melted plugs on T5 engines.
    don't be so sure, those rover v8 blocks are prone to overheating and cracking. we replaced a couple of engine when worked at landrover !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
    Ouch. I've just bought some Bosch platinum ones - they should be ok yes??? (getting a bit worried now!)
    if it can melt the end off a spark plug...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Thread Information