Join Today
    Wierdly beardly

Thanks

Drivers door switchpack overhaul

One thing that has bugged me since I picked up the V70R, is the state of the switchpack. Its badly degraded and unpleasantly sticky. Yak!!! I bought a replacement one off eblag which was described as 'working perfectly, nice n clean'. Yeah right. It was nearly as bad as the one I already had so with an hour to spare today I decided to give the replacement pack a quick overhaul...

The bottom section is easy to separate - just unclip the visible snap clips around the edges and it comes apart. No need for pics of that! If all you need to do is replace LEDS, then this is as far as you need to go -

Name:  switchpack1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  470.5 KB

You can also clean up the metal contacts at this point. Once apart, you get access to four more clips which are hidden inside, one on each side -

Name:  switchpack2.jpg
Size:  344.2 KB

Its nigh on impossible to open all four clips at once - you're forever chasing a clip that snaps shut! I used some old credit card strips placed in between the clips to prevent this, worked a charm. Once you've separated the upper cover and eased it over the switches, you can see what kind of a state the pack was really in...

Name:  switchpack3.jpg
Size:  550.7 KB

Now the switches can be gently eased off the rocker brackets - they pop off but be very careful as they're fragile.

Name:  switchpack4.jpg
Size:  581.2 KB

Now you can clean the switches thoroughly along with that top cover. Reassembly is the opposite of reverse as they say, just be careful to ensure that you line up the contacts in the switches with the holes in the sliders on the main unit - don't force anything, if its all lined up ok it'll snap together nicely. The metal pin contacts in the switches should insert into the plastic sliders as shown -

Name:  switchpack7.jpg
Size:  474.0 KB

And the end result -

Name:  switchpack5.jpg
Size:  444.8 KB

OK, it doesn't look that much better in the pic, but if you compare it to the existing switchpack you can see the small improvement made...

Name:  switchpack6.jpg
Size:  342.5 KB

So well worth doing, and a straightforward job at that. Just take your time and don't force anything.

I better add a footnote here, just to be honest If you take a look at the metal contacts that sit in the underside of the switches...(excuse the use of the previous pic)

Name:  switchpack2.jpg
Size:  344.2 KB

--- you'll see that they're actually spring loaded. When you remove the switches the general crap that has built up inside the switches stops the springs from ejecting the contact. BUT, its just biding its time. Once you have your hands full cleaning something else, one or more of those springs will seize their moment and shoot that pin contact into outer space. You know why I mention this now... best stick them in a bag or take the spring & contact out of each switch as you go along.
    Last edited by RollingThunder; Thursday 6th February 2014 at 15:41.
    Currently - '96 850R auto

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:

abdul (Saturday 8th February 2014),V70 Graham (Thursday 6th February 2014)

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Nice 'how to' even though my switchpack isn't in too bad a condition one of the led's have gone, hopefully M-R-P will now be able to source the led and fix it for me

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

4. The Following User Says Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

RollingThunder (Friday 7th February 2014)

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    bloody hate those shooting pins

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    anybody know what voltage/wattage these leds are?
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    They'll be 12V lol, not sure on wattage though, probably quite low.

Great write up BTW.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

RollingThunder (Friday 7th February 2014)

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    anybody know what voltage/wattage these leds are?
    They'll just be standard green 3mm leds, possibly 12V as Stribo says, or there might be a few resistors built into the switch pack somewhere (my 850 switch pack was like that, but is quite different to the x70 switches).

I'll have to get mine apart and check.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    great how to

11. The Following User Says Thank You to abdul For This Useful Post:

RollingThunder (Saturday 8th February 2014)

Thread Information