Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

LED indicator, brake

Has anyone tried replacing the incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs on a 2002 S60? Are there shunts available with different resistances (Best option)? or has anyone tried (successfully!) to drill a hole in the shunt in a way similar to the Xenon solution (http:/xenonvalot.com).

Brake lights - RSH6
    Tail lights - RSH4 & RSH5
    Indicator/Warning - CSH1 & CSH2

I would like to stay away from adding bypass resistors.

Albert..

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Hi Albert.
    welcome to the forum mate.
    I looked in to this last year. It is do-able but it is a pain in the backside and fraught with risk. All these 'Error Free' LED's that are advertised seem to be a waste of time.
    I suppose that as nobody on here (that I know of) has them speaks volumes!
    Me: 2005 V70 2.4 T5 SE. All standard.
    The Wife: 2008 C70 2.5 T5 SE. All standard.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    I've looked into it and worked out that load resistors is the way to go.
    should be relatively cheap to do too as you can solder some oW resistors directly to the pcb in the light cluster.
    I just can't be bothered.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status

Thanks
    You can add the lead resistors to the wiring anywhere downstream of the current sensing shunt in the REM the resistors certainly don't have to go in the light clusters and I wouldn't bother with LEDs that have integral resistors as they will get hot.

The ohmic value needed for the resistors is easy to calculate (I can post up instructions on how to calculate this if you want) for the power handling side of the resistor stick to metal clad 25W as they are easy to mount.

To be honest the easy way to add the resistors would be to solder/ splice in to the wiring on the back of the REM directly after the shunt connection points then attach the resistors close to the REM with the other side of each resistor connected to ground.

All the lower power lights (front, rear and side) of my V70 are all LED, only headlights and front fog lights are bulbs, each lighting circuit had load resistors fitted with no issues - Mike

Thread Information