Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts

DICE owner, please help!!

Hi guys and gals.

I'm after a massive favour. I believe my DICE unit to be faulty. I know my software is fine but after running a DICE hardware test, it failed to communicate with USB. Two of the four lights will not light. Only problem is, I have no way of testing it!
    So, would anyone with a known working DICE be prepared to post me their DICE unit so I can plug it in to my car and see if it's the DICE or the CAR?
    I also have a BSR code reader and that communicates perfectly with the car, so somethings not right.

I know its a big ask and I will cover all your postage. Otherwise, I will need to buy a new unit for £100. Its over a year old so out of warranty.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    whats the status of VIDA on the icon in the taskbar? i had a problem that sounds similar to yours and it was it was still loading as soon as it said running it connected fine.
    if you were local you could try mine but don't fancy sending mine through the post, sorry.
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Lee has there been any sort of update done on your software?? if so you will need to update the dice software as well.

The other thing it could be is your laptop has a virus, i had to do a factory reset on mine to get rid of the virus, non of my defence ware even detected it but once everything was reinstalled it worked fine
    P1 V70 2.5T Scorpion Exhaust, 3" downpipe 100cel cat, BSR induction, KKK24, GWE 3" Maf to turbo pipe,japanifold , 2010 V50 T5 Alloys Projector Headlamps with 5k Hid kit Quickshift kit, strut brace, Koni Yellow Sport,IPD BCS AET motorsport remap
    Previous: 2004 XC90 T6, 240GLT Estate, 343DL
    Toys: Capri 3.7 Twin turbo, Kawasaki ZX10R 2006,

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Agree with Deathrider Lee. Try uninstalling and then a reinstall. This happened to mine and after a reinstall, all was good.
    Me: 2005 V70 2.4 T5 SE. All standard.
    The Wife: 2008 C70 2.5 T5 SE. All standard.

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Just another thought as well Lee,

has your laptop updated itself to Internet Explorer 10? Mine did and I found that ViDA would not work with it, so I had to uninstall 10 and reinstall 9. Might be worth a look.............
    Me: 2005 V70 2.4 T5 SE. All standard.
    The Wife: 2008 C70 2.5 T5 SE. All standard.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deathrider311271 View Post
    Lee has there been any sort of update done on your software?? if so you will need to update the dice software as well.

The other thing it could be is your laptop has a virus, i had to do a factory reset on mine to get rid of the virus, non of my defence ware even detected it but once everything was reinstalled it worked fine
    My laptop does not have a virus. I only use it to connect to my car and I did a clean install last year.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhorse View Post
    Just another thought as well Lee,

has your laptop updated itself to Internet Explorer 10? Mine did and I found that ViDA would not work with it, so I had to uninstall 10 and reinstall 9. Might be worth a look.............
    Interesting. I don't use Internet explorer as a rule only Firefox. I know that VIDA uses IE so I will check what version is on and try IE9.

Thanks for your reply's guys.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=LeeT5;686057]My laptop does not have a virus. I only use it to connect to my car and I did a clean install last year.

Yep same is my laptop yet it still had a virus
    P1 V70 2.5T Scorpion Exhaust, 3" downpipe 100cel cat, BSR induction, KKK24, GWE 3" Maf to turbo pipe,japanifold , 2010 V50 T5 Alloys Projector Headlamps with 5k Hid kit Quickshift kit, strut brace, Koni Yellow Sport,IPD BCS AET motorsport remap

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    The DICE doesn't have its own software, it's a hardware device that requires software on the laptop to communicate. So it shouldn't matter if I have updated the software or not! Otherwise, the Main dealers would be in the same boat. Every time Volvo bring out new VIDA software the ALL the Volvo dealerships across the world would have to replace the DICE units. Clearly that doesn't happen.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    The DICE doesn't have its own software, it's a hardware device that requires software on the laptop to communicate. So it shouldn't matter if I have updated the software or not! Otherwise, the Main dealers would be in the same boat. Every time Volvo bring out new VIDA software the ALL the Volvo dealerships across the world would have to replace the DICE units. Clearly that doesn't happen.
    im not being funny mate but your wrong there, i have updated the firmware on my DICE unit twice in 2 years, if you look in VIDA where you can test the DICE unit it will say UPDATE DICE UNIT

10. The Following User Says Thank You to deathrider311271 For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Monday 3rd February 2014)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    im not being funny mate but your wrong there, i have updated the firmware on my DICE unit twice in 2 years, if you look in VIDA where you can test the DICE unit it will say UPDATE DICE UNIT
    Ah, I didn't realise it had its own firmware. Is it possible to update it?
    Last edited by Santa; Tuesday 11th February 2014 at 20:15. Reason: see rules

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    With my code reader, I also got a cheap laptop at the same time that is only used for this purpose,never linked it to the outside world.
    But before I could get it to work had to wipe it and reinstall XP on it,but I did try for a week or two to get it running but gave up as it would just not run it.
    Last edited by Harvey; Saturday 1st February 2014 at 12:30.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Ah, I didn't realise it had its own firmware. Is it possible to update it?
    yes you can, but you need an internet connection, when you connect the dice unit to vida where you test the connection with the dice unit there is a tab that says "update" click on this and make sure you have the latest firmware, mine was last updated about 4 months ago
    Last edited by Santa; Tuesday 11th February 2014 at 20:15. Reason: edited quote

14. The Following User Says Thank You to deathrider311271 For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Monday 3rd February 2014)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    yes you can, but you need an internet connection, when you connect the dice unit to vida where you test the connection with the dice unit there is a tab that says "update" click on this and make sure you have the latest firmware, mine was last updated about 4 months ago
    Does it need to be connected to the car when you update? Internet connection is not a problem. I'm so not convinced that it will work, but I will try!! Thankyou.

This user has no status

Thanks
    yes as it needs power to update the firmware now you can do it out the car with the power adapter but most of the the time its easier in the car the new .mot (firmware) is also in the default location for the version of Vida you are running

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
    whats the status of VIDA on the icon in the taskbar? i had a problem that sounds similar to yours and it was it was still loading as soon as it said running it connected fine.
    if you were local you could try mine but don't fancy sending mine through the post, sorry.
    The status on mine is running.
    I still cannot communicate.

This user has no status

Thanks
    have you tried using a different usb cable as all you need to do is unscrew the top replace the cable with a straight one and see what happens

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    have you tried using a different usb cable as all you need to do is unscrew the top replace the cable with a straight one and see what happens
    USB cable works fine, it communicates with the PC, just not with the car.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Here's the fault:

It passes the 'LED test', 'Communication test', 'memory test' but not the 'Interface test'.

I also updated the firmware. Not sure if it's the latest but it was the only one available in the folder with the VIDA software. It was a .MOT file.
    It successfully updated and has made no difference.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Tuesday 11th February 2014 at 19:04.

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    i think you may have a dead DiCE mate
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    That's what I'm hoping! Someone on the forum has very kindly allowed me to borrow their DICE so hopefully I will update this thread when I know.

Thread Information