Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philt6
    If they were all that bad how come you had 5 Different ones?
    Slow learner lol.
    Engineer

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hey guys,

Ive recently bought an S60 T5 geartronic (my first auto) having changed from an S70 manual, and i fully agree that its not as involving as a manual, however in agreement with earlier on in this thread, you learn to shift up just before you would in a manual, and it is very rewarding.

...however....I find that in geartronic mode im even more tempted to thrash it and most likely lose my liscence!!! haha, so tend to leave it in standard auto mode most of the time!!

But to summarise, I would much rather have the geartronic over the normal auto as occasionally I do feel the need to get more hands on, and although not 100% manual I can have some say in where the car revs to.

cheers,

Tom

This user has no status

Thanks
    Will be buying an 03/04 plate V70R in the next month or so as i'm converted to Volvo estates after having an old 850R auto for a couple of years, you just can't beat them for a family car with space & performance. The stats read geartronic 0-60 7.7 secs manual 0-60 5.9secs is this right because thats a hell of a difference, my wife & i much prefer auto for everyday driving & i have a dedicated track car in my garage so get my kicks from that. Any comments as thats quite a big difference.

Thanks Simon.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yes it is realistic, yes the geartronics really are that much slower, yes stick to a manual
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel B
    Guys,
    noticing a LOT of the newer style V70's have geartronic.

Apologies for the numpty question, but is it any good, and how does it work?

Is it the same as a full auto, or is it either manual or geartronic?

By the way, I am a devoted Manual transmission bod, so am not looking for a traditional auto.

Cheers

Dan
    NO AND NO AGAIN GO MAN GO LOL
    had 2 Geartronic T5,s 2 Geartronic S80 T6's Now on 3rd T5 and its Manual. I would never buy a Geartronic again. Unless I can,nt manage to change gear when older

This user has no status

Thanks
    i have an s60 t5 geartronic on a Y plate...... i find when left in auto mode it hunts up and down depending on your revs and if you use cruise it gets a bit messy when changing the speed with the button on the steering wheel so always leave it in 5th on motorway. as for the changing up and down, it took a few days but you just learn to push the stick about 1000rpm when flying before you wanted to change. when racing up the motorway i always move the stick up at about 5500 and it moves at about 6500.....if you wait till it nears the red line you find yourself bouncing off the rev limiter for a second or 2 which cant be good.......... this is my first auto..... think i would prefer manule but then i would also prefer rear wheel drive but i aint gona buy a bmw............the big question i do need an answer to is i want to chip mine with the rica 310bhp chip..... can the auto box take that power if it already has a panic attack when changing under pressure as it is with only 250bhp.........

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philt6
    If they were all that bad how come you had 5 Different ones?
    The reason was I had them was the price the T6's were so cheap and even today was offered a 2003 T6 30k for 11 grand, was tempted but did,nt. Can understand your reply and comment. I ran the T6 at Wellsbourne 1/4 and must admit the geartronic box performed well. but for normal road driving I prefer the manual.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I've had geartronic for a week now and am not yet bored of it.

I've noticed that if you switch over into manual mode doing about 30-40 the box still appears to be in '4th' which probably accounts sometimes the autos do a lot worse mpg.

Other than that it seems ok, like to use it on motorway when in auto mode and soem boy racer in a astra or somthing comes up real near, flick into manual mode, drop a gear or 2 and leave him behind.

Steve

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I had my S60 T5 Geartronic flashed with the latest software from Vovlo under warrenty last week, The car is a completely different beast now.
    Gearchanges are smoother and quicker, engine is smoother, starts easier.

It has re-ignited my faith in the geartronic and the dealer did say he knew of software issues with the geartronic...
    S60 T5 in Black/Dirt

ITG Filter, few HICO styling bits.
    'STILL Considering' the RICA.
    Not much else, yet...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dreadly
    I had my S60 T5 Geartronic flashed with the latest software from Vovlo under warrenty last week, The car is a completely different beast now.
    Gearchanges are smoother and quicker, engine is smoother, starts easier.

It has re-ignited my faith in the geartronic and the dealer did say he knew of software issues with the geartronic...

What year is yours? mine is a 2001 on a 51 plate. Would the software update make any difference on my car..ie the gear changes are quicker etc etc.

cheers,

Tom

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TomS60
    What year is yours? mine is a 2001 on a 51 plate. Would the software update make any difference on my car..ie the gear changes are quicker etc etc.

cheers,

Tom
    Mine is a 2003 on a '03' plate - this was 'out of date' so I suspect yours is well out of date.
    S60 T5 in Black/Dirt

ITG Filter, few HICO styling bits.
    'STILL Considering' the RICA.
    Not much else, yet...

Thread Information