Join Today
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Devastated

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Yesterday I removed the actuator arm off the wastegate arm & it was if it locked in a 10 to position where as it's usually half past pointing to the engine. It was Very stiff as if it locked. Even though I wound the actuator arm out to lower the boost it felt a bit lively lower down the revs.
    When I accelerated I gave it wot in 3rd & that's when the boost went mental & the car jerked as if it was the boost cut off as it's done it a long while ago. No engine warming lights came on & I noticed as I pulled up at the lights the noise. It does sound like a knocking, that's why I'm convinced it's lunched a piston rod.
    I guess I'll have to strip it & find out.
    This car is gonna be my divorce. Lol
    Absolutely gutted. A forged engine is out of the question. I'd need it sorted as quickly & preferably as cheaply as possible or it may be threatened with being broken yet again.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hope u dont break it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abdul For This Useful Post:

Biff (Sunday 26th January 2014)

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Have you taken the plugs out? ive know the tips to fall off before and do damage. usually a bent rod sounds like a ticking noise.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Sunday 26th January 2014),Biff (Sunday 26th January 2014)

Here today gone tomorrow

Thanks
    Sorry to hear that buddy, Does sound terminal hope it's not the end of another Volvo though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim S70R For This Useful Post:

Meh.....
    Thanks
    No mate I've not taken the plugs out, surely it would miss if a plug had been blown to pieces?
    I'm not feeling very positive the noise it's making, it does sound terminal Jim.
    Will get a compression test done on tues & go from there.
    Anyone got any bottom ends knocking about? Lol
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    Sorry to hear about this Biff. Hope its not as bad as you suspect. Worst case scenario, why not just rebuild the engine or drop another in?
    Currently - '96 850R auto

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    When I did one of my rods it was a ticking noise exactly the same as a failed lifter, it even sounded like it was coming from the top of the engine. What was found when the engine was stripped was that one of the rods had very slightly bent and the part of the rod that the gudgeon pin goes through was slightly touching the piston. If I'd have driven it for a few hard miles chances are it would have worn enough of the rod/piston contact area that the noise would have gone. It still wouldn't have fixed the fault which was the rod itself, if you want to fix it as cheaply as possible then source another engine and don't even bother wasting your time stripping your current engine. Personally if the current engine is any good then I would recommend you fit some forged rods then you can almost forget about any future boost spike related faults...

Frankie that's a fair outlay for an engine which has had a set of rods and a refresh when you didn't have to pay labour to fit or remove it from a car ...

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    Bad news mate,sorry to hear that.

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    No mate I've not taken the plugs out, surely it would miss if a plug had been blown to pieces?
    I'm not feeling very positive the noise it's making, it does sound terminal Jim.
    Will get a compression test done on tues & go from there.
    Anyone got any bottom ends knocking about? Lol
    Engines can be had pritty cheap by the looks of things on ebay. I suppose you dont know how good they are till there fitted.

fingers crossed for you bud

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
    Sorry to hear about this Biff. Hope its not as bad as you suspect. Worst case scenario, why not just rebuild the engine or drop another in?
    If the worst has happened....
    I think I'll keep my eyes peeled for a replacement engine that I can strip down for a health check. I have the tools to port & polish the head from when I worked in Toyota so may spend some time along with a lick of paint. Been told by a few people who I know have experience with t5's have said they will carry on with a bent rod & in fact get quieter.
    All I know is I won't be spending a fortune as my money is tied up with our ivf treatment.
    Thanks for your input lads.
    Words can't express how gutted I am after everything I've done this last 12months. Feel royally shafted.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Sunday 26th January 2014)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    When I did one of my rods it was a ticking noise exactly the same as a failed lifter, it even sounded like it was coming from the top of the engine. What was found when the engine was stripped was that one of the rods had very slightly bent and the part of the rod that the gudgeon pin goes through was slightly touching the piston. If I'd have driven it for a few hard miles chances are it would have worn enough of the rod/piston contact area that the noise would have gone. It still wouldn't have fixed the fault which was the rod itself, if you want to fix it as cheaply as possible then source another engine and don't even bother wasting your time stripping your current engine. Personally if the current engine is any good then I would recommend you fit some forged rods then you can almost forget about any future boost spike related faults...

Frankie that's a fair outlay for an engine which has had a set of rods and a refresh when you didn't have to pay labour to fit or remove it from a car ...
    I've been told that by a few lads now so hopefully I will be able to coast it while I get a replacement. I don't think I'd bother rebuilding mine as ideally I want to keep it running while I sort out a good engine.
    I'd be looking at Least £500 for forged rods at a guess?
    Thanks boys, your experiences & advice is very welcome!
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

Meh.....
    Thanks
    I'm right in thinking I will need a pre me7 engine or will a bare me7 engine work? Sorry I'm just weighing up my options.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

This user has no status

Thanks
    I've been told that by a few lads now so hopefully I will be able to coast it while I get a replacement. I don't think I'd bother rebuilding mine as ideally I want to keep it running while I sort out a good engine.
    I'd be looking at Least £500 for forged rods at a guess?
    Thanks boys, your experiences & advice is very welcome!
    Roughly, depends on what brand you go for really.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    I'm right in thinking I will need a pre me7 engine or will a bare me7 engine work? Sorry I'm just weighing up my options.
    Not sure, at a guess I'd say it didn't matter as the differences are management related and intake/exhaust manifold changes. That said I genuinely don't know, the ME7 crank is supposed to be a better item due to weight savings and I think some changes to the standard rods can be an plus point for more boost but still probably not enough to help when boost spikes occur so I'd still get rods...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    Not sure, at a guess I'd say it didn't matter as the differences are management related and intake/exhaust manifold changes. That said I genuinely don't know, the ME7 crank is supposed to be a better item due to weight savings and I think some changes to the standard rods can be an plus point for more boost but still probably not enough to help when boost spikes occur so I'd still get rods...
    I think a bit of research is in order after a bit of detective work.
    In an ideal world if it is a rod it will bed in again so I have plenty of time to buy some forged rods & port & polish my head.
    Thanks Andy.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    he wont have one like mine if he did that, i have a 3 grand engine rebuilt engine
    i wish the fish would bite as much as you.

If the worst has happened....
    I think I'll keep my eyes peeled for a replacement engine that I can strip down for a health check. I have the tools to port & polish the head from when I worked in Toyota so may spend some time along with a lick of paint. Been told by a few people who I know have experience with t5's have said they will carry on with a bent rod & in fact get quieter.
    All I know is I won't be spending a fortune as my money is tied up with our ivf treatment.
    Thanks for your input lads.
    Words can't express how gutted I am after everything I've done this last 12months. Feel royally shafted.
    ive got a engine you could have very cheap if you want to pm me. poss headgasket gone as some sludge in header but dosnt over heat or pressurise the the water system. i havnt done a compression test but would do one if your intrested
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

This user has no status

Thanks
    A bent rod will go quiet after 100miles or so depending on how bent it is! Lol

The damage is already done by this point so just because you can't hear it anymore doesn't mean it's ok

Biff have you changed your number?

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    [QUOTE=graemewelch;684674

ive got a engine you could have very cheap if you want to pm me. poss headgasket gone as some sludge in header but dosnt over heat or pressurise the the water system. i havnt done a compression test but would do one if your intrested[/QUOTE]

Could`ve been water mixed with oil via radiator like I had.

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shemtek_racing View Post
    A bent rod will go quiet after 100miles or so depending on how bent it is! Lol

The damage is already done by this point so just because you can't hear it anymore doesn't mean it's ok

Biff have you changed your number?
    I will replace it anyway now I reckon Shem it's not sounding good so even if it go's quiet I still know it's broken.
    I have changed my number, will text you at a decent hour mate, sorry I thought I'd passed it on. Sorry dude!
    I've had the oil & water problem myself thanks to a dodgy oil cooler. I'd be interested Graeme as I would strip it anyway.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    I'd be interested Graeme as I would strip it anyway.[/QUOTE]

will see what we can sort out when i get back off my hols.
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

Thread Information