Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This user has no status

Thanks
    I understand what Frankie says as the phase 1 HG`s don`t blow!.......but most suffer from condensation in the dipstick tube.

My V70 was the same the only difference is i bothered to change the small O ring at the top of the stick and it stopped the mayo.

Yes, the tube will get cold and cause condensation but when a new O ring is fitted to the stick it seals the tube and keeps the hot air in the tube from the engine so it don`t keep cold anymore and Bingo no Mayo!

If you go to your dealer for a new O ring make sure you get the correct one as there are Two Sizes .....and of course i had the wrong one so another trip to get the correct one.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:

stribo (Saturday 25th January 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've got 3 850s and when I go to work in them they all get mayo in the tube, it's only a 20 min journey!!

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    I understand what Frankie says as the phase 1 HG`s don`t blow!.......but most suffer from condensation in the dipstick tube.

My V70 was the same the only difference is i bothered to change the small O ring at the top of the stick and it stopped the mayo.

Yes, the tube will get cold and cause condensation but when a new O ring is fitted to the stick it seals the tube and keeps the hot air in the tube from the engine so it don`t keep cold anymore and Bingo no Mayo!

If you go to your dealer for a new O ring make sure you get the correct one as there are Two Sizes .....and of course i had the wrong one so another trip to get the correct one.
    exactly even if the headgasket isnt gone. something still needs to be done. if theres mayo then somthing isnt right. im very anal with my cars and like things to be done right and not bodged. ask any mechanic worth there salt whats wrong with any car. mention mayo and using water. hg everytime will be mentioned.
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kyboy View Post
    I've got 3 850s and when I go to work in them they all get mayo in the tube, it's only a 20 min journey!!
    do as 960kg says and get the o ring. i couldnt live with mayo in my dipstick. ive got a 850 out side and the header tank is full of mayo.
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    Common observation on an 850 in winter. Wipe it off and take it for a longer run to burn some condensation off. I wouldn't be unduly concerned.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redbrick For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Saturday 25th January 2014),T5frankie (Saturday 25th January 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hello all. To answer a few questions that have been raised.

When I had the clutch done in December the blue coolant flushed and pink coolant changed into the system.

The oil and filter was aslo done at this time.

When the cap started hissing I placed tissue around the base of the neck. Which had stained. Since a new cap no such staining to observe.

The red plastic handle on the dipstick has broken. So I have to just place it on gently so that I can remove it with a pair of pilers. So I guess that it is not creating a good seal. Which can account for condensation getting into it.

I do 6 miles to work and the same back every day. It does warm up properly. But I guess not enough.

tomorrow I am going to take the car on a motorway journey of an hour there n back. I will let u know the outcome.
    Last edited by inde_house; Saturday 25th January 2014 at 22:08.
    I don't break gearboxes. Just engine mounts.............

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks to all for the info posted so far.

so I have beem for a drive had the car running for 2.5 hours.

Checked the oil and there was still mayo on the dipstick. But it did look much cleaner.

After that drive should the mayo have gone completely?

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inde_house View Post
    Thanks to all for the info posted so far.

so I have beem for a drive had the car running for 2.5 hours.

Checked the oil and there was still mayo on the dipstick. But it did look much cleaner.

After that drive should the mayo have gone completely?
    youre supposed to clean the dipstick tube out first lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Oh. I guess I missed the bit on that. I cleaned the dipstick and when I checked afterwards it seemed cleaner. And the bottom of the stick seemed to look more like fresh oil then not.

On the 2 time she was running the temp stayed at the same point didn't miss a beat.

I will continue to monitor coolant loss. If the rad has spilt what is the best way to check that.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inde_house View Post
    Oh. I guess I missed the bit on that. I cleaned the dipstick and when I checked afterwards it seemed cleaner. And the bottom of the stick seemed to look more like fresh oil then not.

On the 2 time she was running the temp stayed at the same point didn't miss a beat.

I will continue to monitor coolant loss. If the rad has spilt what is the best way to check that.
    Putting card board under the car overnight can be a good way to identify if a leak is present and will give an indication to what area it is coming from. I'd lift the carpet and check the matrix too.

The revised dipsticks have 2 O-rings for a better seal.

Just getting the car up to temperature isn't sufficient to evaporate any water content in the oil or condensation in the crank case and dipstick tube. I have no idea how long exactly it will take but an hour of spirited driving once a week should do the trick.
    Last edited by shemtek_racing; Sunday 26th January 2014 at 23:11.

Thread Information