Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V70 suspension

This user has no status

Thanks

V70 suspension

Hi all,
    The car is a 2002 D5 (non nivomat) and now at 176k miles.
    After much research, and wanting to preserve some degree of the OEM ride quality, I am thinking of going with Bilstien B4 or Sachs super touring dampers.

Top mounts and front spring seats will be done at the same time.
    IPD do an uprated front spring seat , is it any good ?

Springs- I thought seeing as its all coming off, might as well slip some new springs in. I have searched into all your previous postings for what is available.
    The ride height of the Eibach/ Apex/ H&R / Lesjofors dont appeal to me.
    I do like how the stock V70R sits, but having consulted my local dealer , they say the springs from that car will not fit mine. Is this true ?
    Alternatively, I do believe the factory offered a sport suspension option for the standard V70, lowered it by 10 -15mm, very subtle and I have seen some cars with this, which i like.
    Where can I get those springs from ?

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LLVM View Post
    Hi all,
    After much research, and wanting to preserve some degree of the OEM ride quality, I am thinking of going with Bilstien B4 or Sachs super touring dampers.

IPD do an uprated front spring seat , is it any good ?

Springs- I thought seeing as its all coming off, might as well slip some new springs in. I have searched into all your previous postings for what is available.
    I do like how the stock V70R sits, but having consulted my local dealer , they say the springs from that car will not fit mine. Is this true ?
    Alternatively, I do believe the factory offered a sport suspension option for the standard V70, lowered it by 10 -15mm, very subtle and I have seen some cars with this, which i like.
    Where can I get those springs from ?
    For the springs, I'd have a word with Jamie (Partsforvolvos) on here.
    If you want to keep the ride quality, go for slightly better than OE - I have Boge Automatic. For 190 quid for the front two (probably cheaper online) and they give a slightly more planted feel than the OE ones without going into the "sports" feel/price of the Bilsteins. Probably like the Sachs super touring.

For top mounts and seats, just stick with genuine Volvo stuff - you're not doing track days
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

LLVM (Saturday 25th January 2014)

Thanks
    Something else well worth doing is powerflex bushes for the front wishbones.
    they take away the vague feeling in the steering and they don't fail like the OE ones do. It's a bit of a faff to do the conversion, I did a how-to guide on it a while ago but it's the best upgrade for the money when it comes to the P2.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status

Thanks
    I will drop Jamie a pm.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Something else well worth doing is powerflex bushes for the front wishbones.
    Yes I have considered this, but aware that its a bit of pig to do.
    I may be getting this confused with my other cars, but does someone sell replacement front wishbones with the polys fitted on an exchange basis for the P2?

Thanks
    I think partsforvolvos sell wishbones with the polys fitted, not 100% on that tho.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Go for the PFV lowering kit, well worth it and it's been on my car for over a year.....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

stephenevans99 (Saturday 25th January 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    [QUOTE=JamesT5;683938]Go for the PFV lowering kit, well worth it and it's been on my car for over a year.....

/QUOTE]
    Hi James, good to know yours is doing well after a years use.
    It is remarkable value for money, the kit uses Lesjofors springs and the spec sheet say 40mm drop, which is too much the type of ramps I need to clear.
    Would be useful to see some more pics of your car from different angle.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Hi all,

IPD do an uprated front spring seat , is it any good ? Stick with OE mate, they are good for 100k if the cars not abused.

Where can I get those springs from ? Main dealer only
    I would definitely advise you replace all 4 subframe bushes, wishbone bushes with Powerflex or OE if you want stock ride/feel. Ensure you also change the Top engine mount and the lower transmission torque mount with OE also. Fitting Poly to these will increase cabin noise and make the gear changes harsher. If its an auto, then go PF on the lower torque mount.
    Don't neglect the rear bushes either. These will be mullered after 176k. Most of them can be replaced with Poly if you want by a good garage but allow 2 days and £400 to do them, cos some of them are a real Bast*rd to do.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Saturday 25th January 2014 at 18:22.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

LLVM (Saturday 25th January 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    I have not had much luck trying to get the sport springs from the main dealer.
    They say the software only allows them to search for chassis no/ reg no specific springs and it will only list the standard springs for mine.
    Would anyone happen to have a part number for the OE sport springs ?

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    I have not had much luck trying to get the sport springs from the main dealer.
    They say the software only allows them to search for chassis no/ reg no specific springs and it will only list the standard springs for mine.
    Would anyone happen to have a part number for the OE sport springs ?

sports spring are eibach springs. the ride hight isnt to low and it still gives a nice ride. they are the only springs id fit to my car
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=LLVM;683943]
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Go for the PFV lowering kit, well worth it and it's been on my car for over a year.....

/QUOTE]
    Hi James, good to know yours is doing well after a years use.
    It is remarkable value for money, the kit uses Lesjofors springs and the spec sheet say 40mm drop, which is too much the type of ramps I need to clear.
    Would be useful to see some more pics of your car from different angle.
    Ok, here's some more then and I will say I'm impressed with the better handling and flatter cornering of the PFV kit......

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

LLVM (Monday 27th January 2014),partsforvolvos.com (Monday 27th January 2014)

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    the OE sport spring part numbers are 9492226 front and 9473385 rear.
    I can see a problem though in that the sport kit contains nivomat rear dampers so these springs cannot be used on normal rear shox.

this was also the cars the phase 1 that had sport suspension included nivomats.

I'm not so sure about the dealer's advice that S60/V70R 04-07 springs would not physically fit. all that is different on them is the damping rate being magnetically controlled.
    however, it is not something I have heard of being tried by anybody.

cost wise, most oe springs are about £80 each front, and £70 rear so aftermarket kits offer better value.
    I would sway toward the eibach ones if you do not want the max possible drop. these are quoted at -30mm where as most others are -40mm for this model

nothing wrong with bilstein b4 shocks - these are standard rated not sport and we do a full front and rear kit.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to partsforvolvos.com For This Useful Post:

LLVM (Monday 27th January 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    James 5T - your car does sit very nicely. I recall your previous posting about too much negative camber on the rear.
    Did you fit the Camber adjustment kit from PFS to correct it ?

Thanks
    The negative camber is only slight and doesn't seem to affect the tyres on mine and mine sits a little lower (not a lot but 76mm lower than the plod suspension it used to have lol)...

This is on Apex yellow springs. I wouldn't recommend them - they're very hard but I got them for £40 so I can't complain

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Jamie,
    I will be placing an order for all the suspension bits from you soon.
    I assume you can get hold of the OE sport springs, but the part numbers your quoted for them-is that specific for the heavier D5 ?
    If I read your post correctly, are saying that I can not use those OE sport springs with the Bilstein B4 ?

Thanks
    Hi Jamie,
    I will be placing an order for all the suspension bits from you soon.
    I assume you can get hold of the OE sport springs, but the part numbers your quoted for them-is that specific for the heavier D5 ?
    If I read your post correctly, are saying that I can not use those OE sport springs with the Bilstein B4 ?
    You'd need the correct nivomat shocks (expensive as hell) and nivomat top mounts as well as the springs.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    yes I put the details in as a d5 to obtain these numbers. without the nivomat shocks though, the springs would be unsuitable for any other shock as these are self levelling units that take most of the actual load not the spring.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    James 5T - your car does sit very nicely. I recall your previous posting about too much negative camber on the rear.
    Did you fit the Camber adjustment kit from PFS to correct it ?
    The negative camber isn't too bad in the long run, better handling and the extra tyre wear seemed virtually non-existent.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

LLVM (Monday 27th January 2014)

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Car sits nicely there James. Get those bloomin wheels refurbed mate!! After you have done the clutch
    Me: 2005 V70 2.4 T5 SE. All standard.
    The Wife: 2008 C70 2.5 T5 SE. All standard.

Thread Information