Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Good that they are making good their mistake, maybe should have checked it was 100% before you picked it up though.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Please ensure they use correct Volvo fluid too. Else you'll be replacing the rack again later.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Another trick I use for bleeding the Power Steering is to use four plastic carrier bags, arrange them in pairs with a small amount of oil between the pairs of plastic bags, place them in front of the cars front wheels then drive on to them, the oil reduces the friction making the bags work like turntables, no scrubbing of the tyres - Mike

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:

Shevek (Saturday 25th January 2014)

Beer is the mind-killer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Please ensure they use correct Volvo fluid too. Else you'll be replacing the rack again later.
    The stuff he put in 1st time around was green not red so it's the good stuff

Beer is the mind-killer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
    Another trick I use for bleeding the Power Steering is to use four plastic carrier bags, arrange them in pairs with a small amount of oil between the pairs of plastic bags, place them in front of the cars front wheels then drive on to them, the oil reduces the friction making the bags work like turntables, no scrubbing of the tyres - Mike
    Good tip!

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    So? Is it sorted now then??
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Beer is the mind-killer
    Thanks
    Gah, no... still going...

Got the car back on Friday afternoon. He'd got MOT done it and it had passed, he'd taken it for a long (8-10 mile) run.

It all seemed fine to me and was driving lovely...

BUT...

Went out in it on Saturday and it started making a groaning noise when steering (I used to get this when fluid was low before the rack was replaced)

It was only a bit of noise so we went out in evening but then it was really bad... Every turn was a massive groan and shuddering on the wheel.

We got home very late, after dark, so left it till Sunday morning to check.

There was a puddle of fluid on the drive where it had sat during the day on Saturday and another where it sat overnight...

I topped it up and it was dripping straight out the bottom...

Phoned him first thing this morning and he came straight round to collect it...

Spoke to him this evening - he has had it up in the air and checked everything... topping up and bleeding and nothing leaks at all.

Take it for a run and it leaks...

He has now ordered ANOTHER rack... the 3rd one

I'm still without a car, this is the 3rd week now (

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Clearly, if the car is in the air and he can't find a leak, it's because there is no resistance and therefore no pressure on the pump or seals, so it doesn't leak. When the cars on the deck, hay presto...it leaks! I wonder why??

Lets hope the new rack works. Only thing I would say is......where on earth is he buying these racks from? They are obviously crap!
    I hope he gives you a looooonnnnnnggggggggg warranty because I wouldn't hold out much hope on the new rack lasting very long.

For YOUR inconvenience, I would insist that he purchases a genuine rack from Volvo and supplies and fits it for No extra cost! That's the least he can do.....Oh yeah, not forgetting to have your driveway cleaned as well! With an OE rack you'll have total piece of mind and that will be the end of it. What a bloody mess!!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    As Lee has said these racks can't be up to much if this is the third one he's going to fit.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Just thinking is the pump ok,very strange 2 racks to have the same fault.

will it never end?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Just thinking is the pump ok,very strange 2 racks to have the same fault.
    Would the leak be from the pump though? could be from one of the pipes/hoses feeding the rack. One thing's for sure, if the pump keeps running without fluid it won't be much good for much longer.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    Would the leak be from the pump though? could be from one of the pipes/hoses feeding the rack. One thing's for sure, if the pump keeps running without fluid it won't be much good for much longer.
    The pump has a set working pressure with a set flow rate,wonder if the rack suits the pump.

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    At least he is trying to fix it i suppose, not just fobbing you off like some do, All the Racks being fitted no doubt will be reconditioned items, I think even a Genuine Volvo unit(made by ZF/trw) will be a recon one and carry a surcharge for the old core.

The Replacement ones Will be recon'd (Volvo units trw/zf) so are no different to whats been fitted, the only difference will be WHO reconed the units, i personally feel its abit harsh demanding a VOLVO unit at his cost seeing as you agreed and purchased (no doubt a considerably cheaper unit) from else where. BUT he should be refitting the replacement item FOC and perhaps supplying you with a courtesy car whilst your is being sorted.

There are alot of re manufacturing companies out there and you tend to get what you pay for. It would be interesting to know what Reman rack it is being fitted.

The above is only my Opinion btw as i am interested in this sort of thing (being from the Motor parts trade myself) and ive no connection with any party involved.

Hope you get it sorted asap and to no further cost to yourself.

Beer is the mind-killer
    Thanks
    He hasn't charged me anything other than the original replacement, and he did give me a courtesy car last week (during the second replacement) but unfortunately he'd given it to another customer over the weekend...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Shevek For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Monday 3rd February 2014)

Beer is the mind-killer
    Thanks

Talking Update!

He delivered the car back yesterday.

Steering is lovely now (and lively, which I originally typo'd!).

Took it for 2 runs last night - local roads, country lanes and dual carriageway - all feels great.

Checked it this morning and there are no tell-tale puddles under the front end.

Time will tell but I think it's finally sorted

<does a little happy dance>

Thanks to all for your advice. Glad to find such a helpful and friendly club!

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Glad it seems sorted, did he offer any explanation or just say it must have been a bad rack ?

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

will it never end?
    Thanks
    Glad it's all sorted for you mate, shame they couldn't get it right first time.

Beer is the mind-killer
    Thanks
    Yeah, that's exactly what he said - 2 bad racks supplied, third time lucky!
    C70 2004 2.0 GT Auto

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Shevek For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Thursday 6th February 2014)

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Well done buddy glad you got it sorted and with no extra charge, nice to see garage stand by there word. :-)

Thread Information