Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    lee its a phase 2 R same as your car. 2003 i beleve.
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

2. The Following User Says Thank You to graemewelch For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Sunday 26th January 2014)

Kawasaki T5. Built by a Swede,
    Driven by a turnip!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Phase 2 or P2 R?? Come on guys, we need to be specific here. Which model we talking about?
    if it's a Phase 2 V70R >00 then 0.5 bar (7.2psi) is absolutely spot on!! Infact, that's high! OE spec on a 1997-2000 R is 4.2psi. On the later models 03> it's 4.4psi.

So, if your getting 0.5bar then that's good.

Worth noting that earlier R models (Phase 1, 2 + 3 models >00) don't have a BPS. They use the MAF, Throttle position and RPM to calculate boost via the ECM. The ECM will then actuate the BCS to operate the Turbo wastegate.
    No way does an s60r see .5 bar of boost!

This user has no status

Thanks
    He`s talking Base Boost .......what the turbo wastegate is adjusted to!.......which is a high Base Setting

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Saturday 25th January 2014)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T5RatherAmusin View Post
    No way does an s60r see .5 bar of boost!

be prepared to be proven wrong. its not very often lee gets something wrong and saying as he drive a v70r i doubt it very much that hes wrong
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

Driven by a turnip!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    He`s talking Base Boost .......what the turbo wastegate is adjusted to!.......which is a high Base Setting
    this is what I believe to but op is not

Driven by a turnip!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    be prepared to be proven wrong. its not very often lee gets something wrong and saying as he drive a v70r i doubt it very much that hes wrong
    I ain't wrong grae. you'll find lee is on about something totally different to what the OP is....

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    thankyou!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Yeah, Sorry, I should have been more specific. If he's adamant that he has no air leaks (vac) or boost leaks then you gotta start at basics.

Remove the Turbo heat shields and set the waste-gate to the correct setting. As I said, it's 4.4psi on a 03> R. That means the wastegate will start to open at 4.4psi. Once you have correctly set the wastegate then you can re fit the heat shields and road test. Then see what boost your getting on you gauge. You need to be under load (going uphill) 3rd gear at about 3000rpm. Floor it!! You should get at least 6-8psi boost on the gauge immediately then rise to a peak boost of about 10 - 12psi at 4500rpm. That's on a standard mapped car.
    If you don't see those readings then there are many variables that can affect it, such as:

The most likely cause is the Turbo recirculating valve. They will naturally become weak and the rubber degrades over time. They are subject to huge high temps being bolted directly on the turbo and I would urge anyone to replace with a new one every 60-80k (If fitting OE), or with an aftermarket alloy piston type (Fit and forget).
    The TCV will also affect boost if it's slow to react and or not functioning correctly.
    Air filter. Never under estimate a dirty air filter. It will rob your turbo of air and the car will then under boost and just not build up boost quick enough.
    The BPS (Boost pressure sensor). These are easily affected by oil residue that naturally builds up in the Intercooler pipes. If this is minging and caked in crud then it will not provide the correct information to the cars ECU which in turn, will cause the TCV to not react soon enough and ultimately affect when the wastegate opens and closes. Very simple to remove and clean - Thou be careful!! The Torx 20 screw is normally rusty and easily rounded off.

Hope this helps!!
    Last edited by LeeT5; Saturday 25th January 2014 at 17:46.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    If I unplug the TCV should I see any boost at all on the gauge?
    Before I replaced it I got nothing at all on gauge, which suggests not even base boost. I've never checked this as it was running well and quick. Could I now, somehow, only be seeing base boost as this sounds like what I'm getting. If so this would point to some electronic trickery not working.

Still got no leaks, checked again.
    Pipes to TCV look right too, correct colours etc

The car is an 03 V70R, p2, geartronic.
    May the boost be with you.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    The wastegate is controlled by the TCV, which ultimately is told what to do by the ECU (based on information received from the BPS). It's all rather complex but simple at the same time.
    If you disconnect the TCV you will still see boost because the turbo is always spooling when driving. You'll achieve nothing by doing this.
    What reading are you seeing when the car is stationary,idle, warmed up with a/c off? You should be seeing -20psi!
    Last edited by LeeT5; Sunday 26th January 2014 at 17:40.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    is it possible your boost gauge is reading wrong and that the car had been mapped in the past and the ecu has been updated by volvo and wiped the the map. just a thought. you could be trying to fix something thats not broken
    I know its a bit off subject but if you have the volvo software update does it wipe the map to does anyone know? Been think about this as my S60r is in need off some updates. And it has been mapped by HLM in the past.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R-200vi View Post
    I know its a bit off subject but if you have the volvo software update does it wipe the map to does anyone know? Been think about this as my S60r is in need off some updates. And it has been mapped by HLM in the past.
    A normal software update at the dealer will not erase the ECU map. The only way it is possible to do that is if the Dealer were to do a full ECM reload. This type of reload is not normal and the dealer would only do it if the ECM were not communicating with DICE/VIDA. Under these circumstances, the Dealer would normally discuss this with the owner as there is an inerrant cost involved including labour and software costs.
    The reload would involve downloading the software for your ECM directly from Sweden and this takes time.

If your car has had a remap by anyone, then a normal 'software update' will not affect the MAP.

Also, to clarify, If the needle of the boost gauge settles on '0' when the engine is off and -20psi when at idle, then the boost gauge is working correctly.

This user has no status

Thanks

Also, to clarify, If the needle of the boost gauge settles on '0' when the engine is off and -20psi when at idle, then the boost gauge is working correctly.

You do of course mean -20inHg

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    You do of course mean -20inHg
    Of course!

This user has no status

Thanks
    The wastegate is controlled by the TCV, which ultimately is told what to do by the ECU (based on information received from the BPS). It's all rather complex but simple at the same time.
    If you disconnect the TCV you will still see boost because the turbo is always spooling when driving. You'll achieve nothing by doing this.
    What reading are you seeing when the car is stationary,idle, warmed up with a/c off? You should be seeing -20psi!
    When the TCV was knackered I saw no boost whatsoever. Fitted a new TCV and it went to 0.5bar.

On idle, warmed up, no air on, I read -7ish psi, or just over -0.5bar on my gauge. On the overrun it only drops to -0.75bar, and has never dropped lower. Are you sure about -20psi? Gauge only drops to -1bar

Typically, the last few posts weren't there when I started my reply. Conversion works out about spot on with inHg
    Last edited by Nev; Sunday 26th January 2014 at 19:30. Reason: Last few posts appeared.
    May the boost be with you.

This user has no status

Thanks
    A normal software update at the dealer will not erase the ECU map. The only way it is possible to do that is if the Dealer were to do a full ECM reload. This type of reload is not normal and the dealer would only do it if the ECM were not communicating with DICE/VIDA. Under these circumstances, the Dealer would normally discuss this with the owner as there is an inerrant cost involved including labour and software costs.
    The reload would involve downloading the software for your ECM directly from Sweden and this takes time.

If your car has had a remap by anyone, then a normal 'software update' will not affect the MAP.

Hi Cheers for that information. Been have problems connecting my S60r to the works diagnostic. Wont connect to any of the systems. We work on plenty of volvo and just seems to have a problem connecting to the phase 2 R's. Anyone else had this?

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    When the TCV was knackered I saw no boost whatsoever. Fitted a new TCV and it went to 0.5bar.

On idle, warmed up, no air on, I read -7ish psi, or just over -0.5bar on my gauge. On the overrun it only drops to -0.75bar, and has never dropped lower. Are you sure about -20psi? Gauge only drops to -1bar

Typically, the last few posts weren't there when I started my reply. Conversion works out about spot on with inHg
    Of course I'm sure its -20psi. I'm not blind! It's what my gauge is reading and always read. Incidentally, that's -1.3bar.

Driven by a turnip!
    Thanks
    ye ill normally see bout -22

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5RatherAmusin View Post
    ye ill normally see bout -22
    At idle (stationary) -20psi
    When driving (off throttle) -24psi.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Mine is a digital guage and it reads -11psi which equals -22inHG on hot idle

Thread Information