Join Today

Thread: T5 > D5 pt II

This user has no status

Thanks

T5 > D5 pt II

Guys, thanks for the help in my last thread - I've done the math now and have decided to definitely go for the S60 D5 SE, it looks an awesome all round car and good value for money.

I've put my 850 T5 up for sale, and have had several good leads at the moment including a couple of friends who know the car and are thinking about upgrading! All in all, fingers crossed she'll be sold soon. A lot of car for the money!

I've been hunting down decent D5's and have found a few that tickle my fancy, I've done the insurance phone-around and it's about 50% more to insure than my T5, which I guess is OK considering the increase in value. With any luck I may be a D5 (read tractor) driver by this time next week - you never know!!

Now. Serious stuff - with the T5 I was umming and ahhing about the RICA or TME upgrade, I had decided to 'go for it', but then I started thinking D5, so I called it off. Now the D5 will definitely be RICA'd - its a must do.

1) What kind of difference in fuel economy (if any) can I expect from the RICA D5 in comparison to the standard (163) D5? Car will be late 02 or 03 model. I noticed, Adam, a while back you posted that with very careful driving and the upgrade, the fuel computer said apx 820 miles to the tank???

2) How much is the RICA upgrade for the D5?

3) What fuel economy could I expect to get on a "slow cruise" (65-70mph on the cruise control)

4) What fuel economy could I expect to get at a fast cruise? (90-110mph on cruise?)

I'm also getting a lot of stick from "petrol headed" friends who laugh at my future tractor powered Volvo However, if I could get 700-800 miles on a cruise out of a tank that would be bloody awesome - Calais to the South of France in one go!

Lastly, is there any "issues" that I should be aware of regarding the D5's? The car will be under full warranty, but I am feeling a little out of my depth as I knew the T5's so well, and D5 is unchartered teritory!
    Last edited by T5DJC; Thursday 3rd November 2005 at 00:42.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5DJC
    Lastly, is there any "issues" that I should be aware of regarding the D5's?
    Must resist........MUST RESIST..............They are DIESELS HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA.

Sorry, just couldnt resist that one, temptation got the better of me

Andrew
    This user has no status
    You should ask these questions on www.volvod5.co.uk - sister site to this one and hope of the diesel tuner

Good luck with your impending tractor buy - let's hope you don't plough any fields though

This user has no status

Thanks
    Although my D5 is Superchipped rather than RICAed I think my results will be of interest to you...

The Before-and-After MPG should be similar, unless you radically change your driving style.

Although the trip computer always reads some outrageous figure when you fill up (yesterday mine said "990 miles to empty tank") the 'red light' comes on with approx 100miles to go, and then the range seems to drop very quickly. In previous cars (non-Volvo) you could rely on the range readout to be consistent and wait until it was <20miles before stopping, now I fill it up as soon as the low level warning appears.

I'm averaging between 47-51mpg according to the computer.

For the fast cruise the car will still have an instant mpg figure around 40mpg @ 100mph on the level and even a full throttle charge up the steepest hill I could find at licence loosing speeds only drops the instant mpg down to the low 20's.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5DJC
    1) What kind of difference in fuel economy (if any) can I expect from the RICA D5 in comparison to the standard (163) D5? Car will be late 02 or 03 model. I noticed, Adam, a while back you posted that with very careful driving and the upgrade, the fuel computer said apx 820 miles to the tank???

2) How much is the RICA upgrade for the D5?

3) What fuel economy could I expect to get on a "slow cruise" (65-70mph on the cruise control)

4) What fuel economy could I expect to get at a fast cruise? (90-110mph on cruise?)

I'm also getting a lot of stick from "petrol headed" friends who laugh at my future tractor powered Volvo However, if I could get 700-800 miles on a cruise out of a tank that would be bloody awesome - Calais to the South of France in one go!

Lastly, is there any "issues" that I should be aware of regarding the D5's? The car will be under full warranty, but I am feeling a little out of my depth as I knew the T5's so well, and D5 is unchartered teritory!
    Hi Darren,

To answer your questions -

1. Yes 820 miles after sprited driving and cruising at 90 mph on the motorway!!! I can get an average of 43 mpg when driving quite hard, 40 mpg when driving like a loon, 55 mpg when driving sensibly, and 65 mpg when driving very gently cross country. These are average figures, not instaneous.

2. £590 inc VAT, which also includes full Volvo diagnostics and testing.

3. Slow cruise will give you around 55 mpg or thereabouts.

4. At 90-100 it's around 40 mpg.

As well as the 204 bhp 435 Nm tune (with no smoke), there is also a sports tune available which takes the power to 210 bhp and 450 Nm torque. That is serious fun.

Poor old BMW 330 Ci was highly annoyed on the motorway today as he flashed his lights for me to move over, then proceeded to disappear in the rear view mirror

Adam.

Casual poster 15 years on!
    Thanks
    I have a RICA remap on the Fabia. It is great software and if very smooth economical and doesn't smoke a lot.

Adam at Volvotuning has a S60 D5 with RICA software which does 45+ mpg and is as quick as a stock T5 - 7.?? 0-60 and 15.?? 1/4 mile ! It is no slouch. If you give him a call i am sure he will take you out in it to get an idea of what to expect.

EDIT: Note to self - must learn to type quicker
    My TWITTER username

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeast
    Must resist........MUST RESIST..............They are DIESELS HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA.

Sorry, just couldnt resist that one, temptation got the better of me

This user has no status

Thanks
    Adam, thanks for the details! I still can't get over those economy figures! Wow!

What, apart from the power/torque difference is the difference between the standard and sport tune? I'm thinking price & power delivery?

With any luck I'll be picking up a D5 next week, and I'll be passing Birmingham on the way back - any chance on stopping through via Bromsgrove and having a demo run (as passenger) in the RICA D5? It'll more than likely be Thursday if everything falls into place. I'd be able to give you a couple of days advance warning tho!

TBH I would probably wait a couple of months for RICA, to give my poor bank account a chance to breathe and so I can get used to the 163 as standard - allowing me to appreciate the RICA more.

Also, if my friend goes ahead and purchases my T5 from me, he would be seriously interested in RICA, so the D5 and T5 could come up at once. Ahh.

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    You should ask these questions on www.volvod5.co.uk - sister site to this one and hope of the diesel tuner
    seems a little pointless, asking anything on the d5 site, its a complete flop!

dave

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dave

dave
    I thought about posting on there, but I wanted some answers this week, not next month!

I'm sure it'll be a success eventually, but VolvoT5 seems to be the place to be!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dave

dave
    Dave, the D5 site is in its infancy. Do you have to be so negative?
    Scrappage.....love it!!

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by splatt
    Dave, the D5 site is in its infancy. Do you have to be so negative?
    lol, i just like to call a spade a spade!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvotuning

Poor old BMW 330 Ci was highly annoyed on the motorway today as he flashed his lights for me to move over, then proceeded to disappear in the rear view mirror

Adam.
    I like it Adam well done mate!

Thread Information