Join Today
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    Bloody hell mate, how many Volvo's do you want??? between you, chris, pete, frankie and mark there'll be none left for the rest of us!
    Mate at the price they are going for and what you get i reckon 3 more toys and im set till retirement on free motoring and classic car insurance lol

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamest5r View Post
    Mate at the price they are going for and what you get i reckon 3 more toys and im set till retirement on free motoring and classic car insurance lol
    3 more???? Greedy f*****.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Monday 20th January 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yosser View Post
    Nice one Chris.

Is this Steve from Cornwall's old car?

If so, I very nearly bought it a few years back. Ended up buying the S70R instead.

You're going to need a transporter next....
    Yes, it was Steves. I think Darren bought it from him.
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    White R?Very nice indeed and very unusual.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sourced a V70 tailgate, door handles and roof rails. And a set of Volans. Hopefully picking that stuff up Friday. Just need a drivers side rear door, and exterior door moulding for the drivers door.

The car is having a thermostat, throttle cable and handbrake shoes on Friday too, just to sort those irritating niggles out.

I think the first job will be to sort all the suspension out. Decided on going with BC 'BR Series' coilovers. I had them on the S70, they work very well, and are still sensible enough for daily use. Fully adjustable height and damping, and they come with all brand new top mounts, of which the fronts are camber adjustable, so for around £700 they're a bargain. IPD anti roll bars, poly bushes etc etc. Hopefully get that done in the next couple of weeks.

In the mean time, I think the plan with the body work is to mop the whole car and see where I'm at with the paint work. The bonnet, (new) tailgate, (new) door and both bumpers need spraying for sure. The rest of the bodywork is straight, and rust free, so if after a machine polish it comes back to former glory (which myself and my bodyshop guy think it will), then happy days, no need for a full respray.
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Wednesday 22nd January 2014),cherry1809 (Wednesday 22nd January 2014),merc85 (Wednesday 22nd January 2014),Nealevo (Sunday 26th January 2014)

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Gonna be good as new in no time, i reckon a compound and machine polish will bring it back a treat

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post
    Gonna be good as new in no time, i reckon a compound and machine polish will bring it back a treat
    I think it will. Like I said, it's pretty straight, just really flat and dull. So fingers crossed!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Wednesday 22nd January 2014),merc85 (Wednesday 22nd January 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I picked up a set of Volans on Thursday! So much happier with them on! In really nice condition too, so won't need to refurb them!

Also picked up a V70 tailgate, V70 roof rails, a decent rear drivers side door, new piece of exterior trim for drivers door, a load cover, an ME7 manifold and a Tim Williams ported Throttle body. So starting a nice little collection of bits now!

I also got hold of a mint condition wooden steering wheel, not to everyone's taste I'm sure, but I really like it. And it feels much nicer to drive with than the original steering wheel.

So I'm on the look out for a t5r suede gearstick gator, and wooden gearknob. But I have a feeling I may have to buy these new from volvo. Should hear back from Rufe tomorrow with a price hopefully.

On Friday it had a new throttle cable and thermostat. The handbrake just needed adjusting, so that was a result!

Had a good look underneath the car when it was on the ramps, and it all looks pretty clean, no rust or anything to worry about. The OBX catback isn't that old, but looks quite haggered, so I think that will be getting replaced when the downpipe does.

The only pisser is, it seems like the rear main seal is leaking, which is a bit of a pain. So I might jog the m59 on, and get an m56 and proper diff sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by S70T5Chris; Sunday 26th January 2014 at 16:43.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    One other thing to mention, since getting the throttle cable done on Friday it's only boosting to 0.8 bar. The EBC is still set the same, which before was delivering 1.25bar. And no matter what you set the ebc to, it still only boosts to 0.8bar. I've had a look under the bonnet but can't find anything obvious.

Is there anything specifically that could have been messed up when the throttle cable was changed? Just seems like too much of a coincidence.

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Looking good mate, well done on finding a set of volans too, coming along nicly

14. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

S70T5Chris (Sunday 26th January 2014)

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post
    I also got hold of a mint condition wooden steering wheel, not to everyone's taste I'm sure but I really like it. And it feel much nicer to drive with than the original steering wheel.
    I couldn`t agree with you more

I see you`ve fitted some V70R clocks

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

16. The Following User Says Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:

S70T5Chris (Sunday 26th January 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oblark View Post
    I couldn`t agree with you more

I see you`ve fitted some V70R clocks
    Luckily Darren had already fitted them! No chrome rings though! (yet!!)

I was thinking I might spray the grey background to the clocks black, I think it'd fit in better with the 850 dash then.

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    I picked up a set of Volans on Thursday! So much happier with them on! In really nice condition too, so won't need to refurb them!

Also picked up a V70 tailgate, V70 roof rails, a decent rear drivers side door, new piece of exterior trim for drivers door, a load cover, an ME7 manifold and a Tim Williams ported Throttle body. So starting a nice little collection of bits now!

I also got hold of a mint condition wooden steering wheel, not to everyone's taste I'm sure, but I really like it. And it feels much nicer to drive with than the original steering wheel.

So I'm on the look out for a t5r suede gearstick gator, and wooden gearknob. But I have a feeling I may have to buy these new from volvo. Should hear back from Rufe tomorrow with a price hopefully.

On Friday it had a new throttle cable and thermostat. The handbrake just needed adjusting, so that was a result!

Had a good look underneath the car when it was on the ramps, and it all looks pretty clean, no rust or anything to worry about. The OBX catback isn't that old, but looks quite haggered, so I think that will be getting replaced when the downpipe does.

The only pisser is, it seems like the rear main seal is leaking, which is a bit of a pain. So I might jog the m59 on, and get an m56 and proper diff sooner rather than later.
    Make sure you keep an eye on your steering wheel if you bring the car to a softies meet again, Graham's after one of those steering wheels.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    wheels look alot better chris but wtf is that steering wheel doing on the car?? it don't match anything,

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    wheels look alot better chris but wtf is that steering wheel doing on the car?? it don't match anything,
    It actually looks really nice in the car I think. It's not the same shade as the dash wood but does go IMO. I knew it would be a marmite thing, but I really like it. And it is much nicer to drive with.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Nice

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    I've got to say, it feels good to be back in a P1. As fantastic as the S60R is, all you P2 guys have no idea what you're missing!! Let the fun begin!
    I realised what I was missing a while ago! The P2's are brilliant but the 850 is brilliant in a different way.

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Coming along very nicely Chris.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks

Do me a favour & give me first dibs on the original gear knob & gator if your getting rid - mine's missing the original, got an '8 ball' instead & it's gotta go!

Looks a cracking project, I'm doing something similar with mine, just finding the time & budget which are non existent atm!

Cheers,
    Morgan

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post
    Do me a favour & give me first dibs on the original gear knob & gator if your getting rid - mine's missing the original, got an '8 ball' instead & it's gotta go!

Looks a cracking project, I'm doing something similar with mine, just finding the time & budget which are non existent atm!

Cheers,
    Morgan
    Will do mate, it's not in great condition though. And I think there is a chance you have to brake the gearknob to get it off, but if it survives I'll give you a shout!

Thread Information