Join Today
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Now I've driven it some more, a bit of a review. Well as best as someone with my limited understanding can give!

First off, the one thing I have to try and get across is how much of a nice drive it is. Ever since the latter couple of years of owning the S70, I've wanted/requested that the tunes on my cars make for a nice, easy drive. It's easy to whack the boost up, stamp your foot on the go pedal and take off like a scolded rat. But when it comes to pottering around, those kind of tunes make the car difficult to control, hard work and somewhat of a hassle. You don't want the thing tearing off when you breathe on the accelerator, well I certainly don't anyway!

The way Tim has mapped this car is quite unbelievable. The control you have over the boost, and acceleration is even beyond what he and Shark achieved with the S60. It's an absolute joy to drive. And with the combination of the DMF and V70R clutch, you couldn't want for an easier car to drive. The clutch is light and smooth. The throw of the gear stick is perfect, and it feels positive and smooth yet light and easy to engage. Its so smooth when you lift the clutch and engage the next gear, even with my hamfisted gear changes, it's almost impossible to make changing gear jerky or not smooth. It's hard to believe it's a 20 year old car.

The low down torque is something else. Even running less than a bar of boost up to 4k. It's pulls so strong from low down revs, no other word can describe it other than, impressive. But Jesus Christ, push the pedal to the floor, and the power and acceleration is breathtaking. It pulls so hard all the way to the red line, it's simply relentless. It's without a doubt the fastest car I have ever owned. I have driven my old man's Jaguar XFR a lot, and of course, whilst it would destroy pretty much anything on the road to the high triple figures, I really think this 850 wouldn't be far behind up to 100mph+. I'm simply blown away by the performance of it. And what's more impressive is how this can be achieved, not only with a 19t, but a 19t that is running less than 1 bar of boost to 4000rpm and barely peaking at 1.3bar to the red line. So whilst I have only just got it back, it really should be a reliable set up for the road and the track, I guess time will tell.

The AP brakes feel great. The pedal feels firm and it stops as well as you would wish for, even from cold. I'm yet give them a massive amount of stick but I think the DS2500's are a good compromise for the road and track.

The suspension is superb. The BC's really are incredible value for money. I have Elevate lowering springs on the S60R so it's firmer than standard but d'you know what, I think the 850 rides as well, if not better than that does. Coupled with the rear IPD anti roll bar, it really feels planted and stable. At first I was wanting to set the ride height as low as possible (without causing issues), however I left it to Tim to set up all aspects of the car up to his recommendations, suspension included, so the ride height is approximately where a standard 850R would be. And it's absolutely the right way to go. It sits how it should, and maintains it's practicality. It's perfect.

Best till last; The gripper LSD. It has a slight groan when manoeuvring, which is more than acceptable (and expected from a gripper). But oh my lord. Even with the ££££y Kumho 205's that are currently fitted, it's stunning! Literally on every bend I find myself testing the diff, and it just doesn't stop amazing me. It just goes. Put your foot down, and it just drags the car around the bend. It's undeniably one of the best modifications you can do to a FWD car. It doesn't just bring a smile to your face, it makes you laugh out loud as it seems to defy the laws of physics! I remember fitting a Quaife to the S70 years ago, and being amazed, and I think I even more blown away by the Gripper! I said back then that if you had a standard car, fitting a proper LSD is the first thing I'd do. That advice has not changed, fitting an LSD is one of, if not the most, huge improvements you can make to a standard car!

Overall; Happy is a huge understatement. Everything about the car is perfect. And I couldn't be more appreciative to Tim and his hard work and perseverance. Now to crack on with the rest of the cosmetics!!
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

Biff (Sunday 15th March 2015),cherry1809 (Sunday 15th March 2015),claymore (Saturday 14th March 2015),Dream3r (Saturday 14th March 2015),Jamest5r (Saturday 14th March 2015),martin_r_smith (Sunday 15th March 2015),martybelfastt5 (Saturday 14th March 2015),MIKESC70T5 (Saturday 14th March 2015),Nealevo (Saturday 14th March 2015),Shinsplintz 101 (Sunday 15th March 2015),siamblue (Sunday 15th March 2015),volvokid (Saturday 14th March 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    So, are we going to get some pics please
    I'll take a few piccys tomorrow if I get chance mate. Although there's still lots of cosmetics to attend to! Which I'll largely be tackling myself, much to the astonishment of Dan I'm sure!
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

Nealevo (Saturday 14th March 2015),siamblue (Sunday 15th March 2015)

VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Glad you are happy, the bar is now higher than ever..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nealevo For This Useful Post:

S70T5Chris (Saturday 14th March 2015)

NOS
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,341 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post
    60-100 Video:

looks quick but try holding it @ 60 then time it

"WOODY T5 fastest volvo 850 since 2011/12/13/14 @ avon and york 13.3 112mph
    854 t5 19t gripper mte bc loads more 311.6 whp 373 foot pound 342 @ clucth
    toy cbr954

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WOODY T5 View Post
    looks quick but try holding it @ 60 then time it
    But that's not how your supposed to time your 60-100!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

Dream3r (Sunday 15th March 2015)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Now I've driven it some more, a bit of a review. Well as best as someone with my limited understanding can give!

First off, the one thing I have to try and get across is how much of a nice drive it is. Ever since the latter couple of years of owning the S70, I've wanted/requested that the tunes on my cars make for a nice, easy drive. It's easy to whack the boost up, stamp your foot on the go pedal and take off like a scolded rat. But when it comes to pottering around, those kind of tunes make the car difficult to control, hard work and somewhat of a hassle. You don't want the thing tearing off when you breathe on the accelerator, well I certainly don't anyway!

The way Tim has mapped this car is quite unbelievable. The control you have over the boost, and acceleration is even beyond what he and Shark achieved with the S60. It's an absolute joy to drive. And with the combination of the DMF and V70R clutch, you couldn't want for an easier car to drive. The clutch is light and smooth. The throw of the gear stick is perfect, and it feels positive and smooth yet light and easy to engage. Its so smooth when you lift the clutch and engage the next gear, even with my hamfisted gear changes, it's almost impossible to make changing gear jerky or not smooth. It's hard to believe it's a 20 year old car.

The low down torque is something else. Even running less than a bar of boost up to 4k. It's pulls so strong from low down revs, no other word can describe it other than, impressive. But Jesus Christ, push the pedal to the floor, and the power and acceleration is breathtaking. It pulls so hard all the way to the red line, it's simply relentless. It's without a doubt the fastest car I have ever owned. I have driven my old man's Jaguar XFR a lot, and of course, whilst it would destroy pretty much anything on the road to the high triple figures, I really think this 850 wouldn't be far behind up to 100mph+. I'm simply blown away by the performance of it. And what's more impressive is how this can be achieved, not only with a 19t, but a 19t that is running less than 1 bar of boost to 4000rpm and barely peaking at 1.3bar to the red line. So whilst I have only just got it back, it really should be a reliable set up for the road and the track, I guess time will tell.

The AP brakes feel great. The pedal feels firm and it stops as well as you would wish for, even from cold. I'm yet give them a massive amount of stick but I think the DS2500's are a good compromise for the road and track.

The suspension is superb. The BC's really are incredible value for money. I have Elevate lowering springs on the S60R so it's firmer than standard but d'you know what, I think the 850 rides as well, if not better than that does. Coupled with the rear IPD anti roll bar, it really feels planted and stable. At first I was wanting to set the ride height as low as possible (without causing issues), however I left it to Tim to set up all aspects of the car up to his recommendations, suspension included, so the ride height is approximately where a standard 850R would be. And it's absolutely the right way to go. It sits how it should, and maintains it's practicality. It's perfect.

Best till last; The gripper LSD. It has a slight groan when manoeuvring, which is more than acceptable (and expected from a gripper). But oh my lord. Even with the ££££y Kumho 205's that are currently fitted, it's stunning! Literally on every bend I find myself testing the diff, and it just doesn't stop amazing me. It just goes. Put your foot down, and it just drags the car around the bend. It's undeniably one of the best modifications you can do to a FWD car. It doesn't just bring a smile to your face, it makes you laugh out loud as it seems to defy the laws of physics! I remember fitting a Quaife to the S70 years ago, and being amazed, and I think I even more blown away by the Gripper! I said back then that if you had a standard car, fitting a proper LSD is the first thing I'd do. That advice has not changed, fitting an LSD is one of, if not the most, huge improvements you can make to a standard car!

Overall; Happy is a huge understatement. Everything about the car is perfect. And I couldn't be more appreciative to Tim and his hard work and perseverance. Now to crack on with the rest of the cosmetics!!
    That's quite a review mate, will hopefully see it at some point! The LSD on peaceys car was fun at Combe.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dream3r For This Useful Post:

S70T5Chris (Sunday 15th March 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream3r View Post
    That's quite a review mate, will hopefully see it at some point! The LSD on peaceys car was fun at Combe.
    Being as subjective as I can, I've only had it back a since Friday. But as its stands, I absolutely can't pick fault with anything.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

Dream3r (Sunday 15th March 2015)

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Na it's ££££. It's been an absolute waste of time and money.
    Maybe you should have done the work yourself.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Managed to get away from the Mothers Day duties for a few minutes to go for a little spin, and take a few up to date piccys.

The car is minging mind you. I'll get some polish on it in the next couple of weeks hopefully. And then work out, how much further I'll go with getting the bodywork painted. The interior need a serious valet, and I have new front seats to go in. The interior mats are dying to be renewed, so that's on the list now.

New slightly squarer tail pipe welded onto the Miltek. Looks massively neater than the standard oval shape IMO.

I fitted this all by myself I did.

Tims kind addition. Cheers buddy. I'll get my payback.

I had the centre arm rest retrimmed by a company in the midlands called Bespoke Leathering. The job is top quality. The T5-R gear stick gaitor is in pretty good nick, but I think I'll get them to make me a new fresh one to match the arm rest. I also think I will get them to retrim a handbrake cover to match in black alcantara.

Hopefully getting the wheels refurbished, and the new tyres on this week.

Still loads and loads to do, but it's really taking shape now as you can see.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Sunday 15th March 2015),cherry1809 (Sunday 15th March 2015),craigoodwood (Monday 16th March 2015),Jim S70R (Tuesday 17th March 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    Maybe you should have done the work yourself.
    What's the point when I have blank cheque book? I'm not a fool you know.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

cherry1809 (Sunday 15th March 2015),Jamest5r (Sunday 15th March 2015),stribo (Sunday 15th March 2015)

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    Looks good, I like the steering wheel (from royals?) but must say I like roof rails, v70 chunky ones woukd look nice, I think that's what I'll fit to the olive

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post
    Looks good, I like the steering wheel (from royals?) but must say I like roof rails, v70 chunky ones woukd look nice, I think that's what I'll fit to the olive
    I have a set in my container. I'm on the fence as to whether I'm gonna fit them or not.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Looking good Chris

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hybusamini For This Useful Post:

S70T5Chris (Sunday 15th March 2015)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Stunning stunning car! Looks fast and sounds phenomenal! Great write up too, I know exactly where you're coming from and whilst I don't have the luxury of a manual box with a diff I can agree entirely on what you're saying with regard to the driveabilitly of a properly mapped car and that's the issue I have when it comes to finding a replacement when I sell, as for the comments about paying someone to do the job for you well I'd ignore those I always favour letting someone else have the headaches of replacing broken parts etc than having a dead car on the drive because I've found my ceiling in car mechanics.. Stunning job stunning car, pleased to see one that's not been stripped for spares or hashed together on a driveway...
    Be good to see it sometime, will pop along to vine again when I can. Great work Chris and a credit to Tim's attention to detail.

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

cherry1809 (Sunday 15th March 2015),S70T5Chris (Sunday 15th March 2015)

Overall VPCUK car of the year
    Thanks
    The car is minging mind you....
    it certainly aint that, its beautiful

the only constructive criticism i could give is fresher number plates

26. The Following User Says Thank You to craigoodwood For This Useful Post:

S70T5Chris (Monday 16th March 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by craigoodwood View Post
    it certainly aint that, its beautiful

the only constructive criticism i could give is fresher number plates
    In the garage buddy! Still along way to go, but it's getting there. I've got all new badges as well, just reluctant to stick them on yet, as I may swap the tailgate. Need to speak to my bodyshop guy and see what he recommends.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Monday 16th March 2015)

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    But that's not how your supposed to time your 60-100!
    thats right do it from 50 ish, car looks great mate

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    thats right do it from 50 ish, car looks great mate
    Cheers Frankie boy. How goes it? You've been quiet of late!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Been to see my bodyshop guy today. The car is booked in for May.

The drivers side wing has a small spot of rust, so I am going to replace the wing. And the tailgate has a very tiny but of rust coming back through, so I'm not convinced that will last either. So that's going to be replaced also, as is the spoiler as that has had a shoddy repair at some stage in it's life. He's going to paint both sides, door, skirts, wings, etc plus the tailgate. So once it's done, the only thing that won't have been painted is the roof. After going this far it'd be daft not to get it all done properly.

So I am now on the look out for a mint, and I mean MINT(!) 850 tailgate and spoiler, and a drivers side front wing. Colour doesn't matter, but has to be absolutely accident free, and rust free.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    My breakers would have most of that, going saturday

Thread Information