Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    If the car is shifting when you hit bumps in the road and the handling is crap, its because your wheel alignment is not correct. Mine was the same for a few months before christmas, 'Side hop' issue was present and it really felt unstable and skittish at speed. Had the wheel alignment rechecked and it was miles out!!
    Once they set the car to Volvo's latest specs she now handles beautifully

Here is my cars current alignment sheet to Volvo latest spec:

As you can see, The HUNTER machine does recognize V70R/S60R models. You need to make sure you tell the technician that the car is an R not a T5 or standard S60.
    Awesome, as I suspected the last place didn't use the R specs, even though I reminded them. I did a google search on elitedirect.com which is on your geometry results, is that Elite Direct in Rainham, Essex? A Bit out of the way but they clearly know what they're doing and I could pop out on a Saturday and have it done.

I'm also guessing that these Hunter machines get regularly updated with manufacturer's specifications? If that's the case then how good a job they do also depends on when they last updated the specifications database on their machine?

You do not have to buy shocks from the dealer, if you do, your looking at £430 each + fitting + SUM calibration.

You should NEVER replace shocks individually, even R models. They must always be replaced as a pair.

The only company that makes shock absorbers for 03-07 R models is Monroe and if you buy them direct they are about £190 each. If your car has done more than 80k and still on 'original from new shocks' then its fair to say they are at or nearly at the end of their life. Replacing them is the only way forwards and whilst doing so, you should replace the spring seats and support plates too, as these wear and make a massive difference to the way the car handles.

Once replaced, the car will need a SUM calibration. The Dealer can either calibrate the SUM with no update OR update the SUM to the latest version and calibrate.
    Do not let the garage fit the shocks they have quoted you for. At £180 a pair, they are clearly, NOT the correct ones.
    Yeah that's what I thought. I had an idea of the dealer prices for the shocks as had 2 front replaced a few years ago and in total it cost over a grand. So was dubious when they said £180 a pair, then when said only replaced one and the other is in the boot (which it wasn't) I was fuming.

I'm thinking I might just try to buy the monroe ones direct and ask someone reliable and honest to replace them for me. Martin Matthewson or MRG Chippenham since you guys recommend them.

Volvo's latest alignment specs will completely eradicate the dreaded 'Side Hop' issue and make the car handle really well. It will feel more composed and stable and a lot more forgiving in 'COMFORT'.
    Excuse me being thick Lee, but is this the latest alignment specs for the Hunter machine or for the SUM?

Here's a question, if I buy a DICE and VIDA software could I recalibrate the SUM myself?

I can get the DICE tool on ebay 141090035426, seems to be from the UK, unsure if it's OEM but it's not one of the ones from China at least. Then there's the software cd 321295035425, 2013 version.

I'm assuming that the SUM update and recalibration are just software updates run via the DICE? So I'm guessing it depends on whether the above software cd includes the facility to recalibrate and update the SUM and what version it is.
    Last edited by julz; Tuesday 4th February 2014 at 10:32.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by julz View Post
    I did a google search on elitedirect.com which is on your geometry results, is that Elite Direct in Rainham, Essex? A Bit out of the way but they clearly know what they're doing and I could pop out on a Saturday and have it done.

Yes, it is in Rainham, Essex.

I'm also guessing that these Hunter machines get regularly updated with manufacturer's specifications? If that's the case then how good a job they do also depends on when they last updated the specifications database on their machine?

I have been using them for over 15 years! I will not get my tyres or alignment done anywhere else. I know ppl have come down from Scotland to have these guys work on their cars! They are very, very good and with regards to alignment, I would say they are the best. They will align your car to what ever spec YOU want, as they did my R last year. I had them do the HEICO setup, but I found it wasn't that good.

Yeah that's what I thought. I had an idea of the dealer prices for the shocks as had 2 front replaced a few years ago and in total it cost over a grand. So was dubious when they said £180 a pair, then when said only replaced one and the other is in the boot (which it wasn't) I was fuming.

I'm thinking I might just try to buy the monroe ones direct and ask someone reliable and honest to replace them for me. Martin Matthewson or MRG Chippenham since you guys recommend them.

Excuse me being thick Lee, but is this the latest alignment specs for the Hunter machine or for the SUM?

It's the alignment spec for the car. It's Volvo's latest spec. -0.02 front and -0.08 rear. The SUM (Suspension Module) can only be updated by Volvo. It can be calibrated by anyone with VIDA/DICE.

Here's a question, if I buy a DICE and VIDA software could I recalibrate the SUM myself? YES, but you need to have car on a 'perfectly flat' surface else your wasting your time. Volvo workshops are just that, so I let them do it.

I can get the DICE tool on ebay 141090035426, seems to be from the UK, unsure if it's OEM but it's not one of the ones from China at least. Then there's the software cd 321295035425, 2013 version.

I'm assuming that the SUM update and recalibration are just software updates run via the DICE? So I'm guessing it depends on whether the above software cd includes the facility to recalibrate and update the SUM and what version it is.
    No. SUM update - only by dealer. Calibration - only via VIDA/DICE or Dealer.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information