Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

V70 2.4 (170bhp) 2001 warm idle miss fire - intermittent

HELP. I'm new here, although following a recommendation from a friend and member and a ovlov owner for many years, (recently shelving my 850 t5 for future restoration), I purchased the above and after 70k trouble free miles. This miss fire raised its head. Now with 187k on clock, I started to get a miss fire when warm. P0300 random multiple Miss fire. Its had a P0032 Bank 1 o2 sensor Heater failure since owned. But has ran fine passing emissions at Mot everytime and acheiving in excess of 40mpg on a run at eu motorway speeds.
    I have currently changed all spark plugs, coil packs (1 smelt of the insulation burning) cleaned the etm, K&N in std airbox cleaned and re-oiled, crank sensor and maf cleaned, vacuum pipes checked and New oil filter and some fresh oil, although it seems past servicers cross threaded the sump plug into sump casting.
    No other codes showing on generic diagnostic tool, and runs fine whilst driving, pulling hard on throttle(well, hard for its meagre horsepower)
    It stutters occasionally when off gas to re-application. And shows me a drive slowly, service urgently occasionally.
    The only other symptom is that when, rough idling occasionally all lighting dims(flashing) although revs are holding around 850rpm.
    Replacement of all the above has improved the issue, although solved, it has not.
    My generic diagnostic tool show fuelsys 1 OL_fault on live data. But I seem to remember this always showing this reading.
    After throwing several hundred pounds at the car, I would like to get this concluded, I feel safer with my son in his v70 rather than his moms polo.

Any ideas? Any help would be very much appreciated..
    In advance, thanks....

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    sounds like throttle playing silly buggers to me.
    could also be a boost leak, blocked fuel filter, dodgy maf, best to get it plugged into the proper Volvo diagnostic software for a better idea.

welcome aboard, why not pop over to the "introduce yourself" section and say hi
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Oiling the air filter is something I'm wary of just messes your maf up....

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Monday 13th January 2014)

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Multiple coil pack failure...

BIG STUPID GRIN
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pooh View Post
    HELP. I'm new here, although following a recommendation from a friend and member and a ovlov owner for many years, (recently shelving my 850 t5 for future restoration), I purchased the above and after 70k trouble free miles. This miss fire raised its head. Now with 187k on clock, I started to get a miss fire when warm. P0300 random multiple Miss fire. Its had a P0032 Bank 1 o2 sensor Heater failure since owned. But has ran fine passing emissions at Mot everytime and acheiving in excess of 40mpg on a run at eu motorway speeds.
    I have currently changed all spark plugs, coil packs (1 smelt of the insulation burning) cleaned the etm, K&N in std airbox cleaned and re-oiled, crank sensor and maf cleaned, vacuum pipes checked and New oil filter and some fresh oil, although it seems past servicers cross threaded the sump plug into sump casting.
    No other codes showing on generic diagnostic tool, and runs fine whilst driving, pulling hard on throttle(well, hard for its meagre horsepower)
    It stutters occasionally when off gas to re-application. And shows me a drive slowly, service urgently occasionally.
    The only other symptom is that when, rough idling occasionally all lighting dims(flashing) although revs are holding around 850rpm.
    Replacement of all the above has improved the issue, although solved, it has not.
    My generic diagnostic tool show fuelsys 1 OL_fault on live data. But I seem to remember this always showing this reading.
    After throwing several hundred pounds at the car, I would like to get this concluded, I feel safer with my son in his v70 rather than his moms polo.

Any ideas? Any help would be very much appreciated..
    In advance, thanks....
    Nice to see you made it on here

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Doesn't sound like the ETM, at least according this flow chart

http://www.xemodex.com/technologyimp...ow%20Chart.pdf

Mine had a bit of a miss which I think I have pinned down to the throttle position sensor by logging some live data.

P0300 means misfire yes, if it was P0301 for example then = a misfire for cylinder #1 so would be a bit easier to pin down to the coil pack on #1 (or whatever). Since it is 0 and that means general I would sort that oxy sensor code then record some live data to see what the various sensors and whathaveyou are doing...

...my car is ancient M4.4 compared to yours though so don't listen to me

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Here is an epic thread with similar symptoms to start off with....

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/archiv.../t-161849.html

In the end I think he unplugged the variable valve timing solenoid on the inlet cam. Hope this is of some use!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Take the plastic cover off the top of the engine and check the wiring going to the coil packs, VVT solenoid and especially where the black wires are bolted to the engine via ring tags, the entire loom(s) should be covered with slit convoluted conduit but this cracks up and falls off in lots of little bits leaving the wires vulnerable to heat damage or when you are really unlucky a trapped wire under the cover shorting out to the engine block, last time I saw this was the wiring to the VVT solenoid trapped under a bolt securing the engine plastic top cover, it ran like a bag of nails at idle - Mike

This user has no status

Thanks
    I have you to thank! ajc106
    Last edited by pooh; Tuesday 14th January 2014 at 20:50.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pooh For This Useful Post:

ajc106 (Wednesday 15th January 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Armed with some new ideas im off to examine, experiment and hopefully resolve.
    Dont believe in luck, although a little occasionally, doesn't go a miss.
    Thanks for your help so far!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    Here is an epic thread with similar symptoms to start off with....

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/archiv.../t-161849.html

In the end I think he unplugged the variable valve timing solenoid on the inlet cam. Hope this is of some use!
    Long thread that, but it gave me some ideas:-

I popped to my dads garage tonight, and checked all wiring under the cover on the head, and no evidence of heat damage. Except the conduit which was just a little! Deteriorated. Airbox out and cleaned vac actuator, working fine and again confirmed no leaks on vac etc pipework.
    I disconnected the vvt actuator and also 1st O2 sensor (live data showed 0.500 whilst driving to my dads garage to investigate - (t5's in my own) reading didnt change whilst driving, so guessing this is a big part of the issue!) car started without issue and ran fine for 30 mins.
    Reconnected vvt actuator as seems to be working ok and left 1st O2 disconnected.
    Ran fine home, With just a little stutter which cleared as I pulled up.
    Looking forward to run to work in morning, to see whats changed. Hopefully
    If still there, I'll unplug that vvt actuator?
    I feel were getting there!
    Thanks all, fingers crossed..

Thanks
    Good process of elimination there mate, looking forward to the findings.

Hopefully, it'll be a guaranteed fix

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

15. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

pooh (Wednesday 15th January 2014)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pooh View Post
    Long thread that, but it gave me some ideas:-

I popped to my dads garage tonight, and checked all wiring under the cover on the head, and no evidence of heat damage. Except the conduit which was just a little! Deteriorated. Airbox out and cleaned vac actuator, working fine and again confirmed no leaks on vac etc pipework.
    I disconnected the vvt actuator and also 1st O2 sensor (live data showed 0.500 whilst driving to my dads garage to investigate - (t5's in my own) reading didnt change whilst driving, so guessing this is a big part of the issue!) car started without issue and ran fine for 30 mins.
    Reconnected vvt actuator as seems to be working ok and left 1st O2 disconnected.
    Ran fine home, With just a little stutter which cleared as I pulled up.
    Looking forward to run to work in morning, to see whats changed. Hopefully
    If still there, I'll unplug that vvt actuator?
    I feel were getting there!
    Thanks all, fingers crossed..
    It was a beauty wasn't it, that's why I posted the conclusion, thought they were all going to get married at the end - I've watched less complicated omnibus episodes of Emmerdale Road

Good luck

edit: remember that unplugging the oxy sensor may just make the mixture rich and mask the real problem, sorry to be a merchant of doom
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Wednesday 15th January 2014 at 05:39.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    The Saga Continues, and the site keeps logging me out whilst i'm adding to this thread!
    Running better although, still there, (as with all other bits I have replaced so Far)
    Did notice a less booming exhaust note this morning, suggesting its been running lean for a while.
    Tick over fairly stable now, but still rough when warm.

Next step before I have a chance of getting it plugged into another Diagnostic tool, is to disconnect the VVT, But wondered if this will be of any detriment to the running?
    I shall try this at work, hoping it clears/identifies the problem on route home!

And how difficult are these VVT's to change? it also looks like it been replaced before.

I'm also thinking that i'm cursed, New fuel filter fitted weekends leaking at pressed end and no coffee to start my day, following the wifee dropping kettle yesterday

ha hha hahahahaha
    Life good!

Maybe this will be an Emmerdale esk drama too!

Thanks
    The VVT operates at high revs iirc so other than throwing a warning (not liking the fact you've unplugged something) it should be a means of narrowing the field.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

20. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Good news thread followers and those who have assisted.
    Following your help, and after driving to work with the issue this morning, I disconnected the vvt actuator at work in the rain prior to my 20 mile journey home.
    Success didnt miss a beat all the way home, although I think the ecu was a bit confused a few times.
    I can only guess that the actuator is not fully returning to 0deg after actuating!

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL WHO OFFERED ADVICE.
    Its good to find a problem that been a little annoying. Lesson learnt.
    A very happy New member.
    I look forward to many future correspondance and some....
    Take care.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    The VVT operates at high revs iirc so other than throwing a warning (not liking the fact you've unplugged something) it should be a means of narrowing the field.
    ^^^what MRP said, shouldn't hurt it but I would get it fixed rather than leave it unplugged for long periods. Good news everyone!

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    I have a VVT solenoid if you're after one.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    I have a VVT solenoid if you're after one.
    Hi and thanks for the offer, I've been browsing the suppliers I use for prices and availability, Although as I haven't found anything listed yet, I presume its a Volvo only part?

What condition?

And can anyone suggest the difficulty in replacement? I read a few pages online today, suggesting not to trust Haynes etc.
    It would also seem not to be an uncommon problem..

It's due a cam belt next month, so maybe a good time to get it booked into garage and let them get spanner rash!

Thanks
    vvt solenoid is a few small bolts and an electrical connector mate. 10 minute job.

if royal fail are on the ball, you could potentially have Stribo's one fitted by Friday lunchtime.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Thread Information