Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    chavboi has finally got him a
    volvo
    Thanks

climate control module problem

Hi guys so yestorday afyer reconnecting the battery my ccm has stopped working I have checked necessary fuses but can not locate the fult any ideas?
    chavboi

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Hi Craig ,when you removed the battery lead did you have the key out of the ignition ?,and waited 10 mins for the car to shut down.
    Also when you reconnected the battery did you have the key in the ignition turned to number 2 position if not this could be your problem,might just need a reset with a VIDA-Dice.

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    The p2s are funny buggers with disconnecting and reconnecting battery. I was advised to get it fitted at dealer
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    I have some experience with removing the CCM and did some research before hand.

Try this.... make sure the car is powered down fully (as Harvey says give it at least 10 minutes). Take both battery terminals off the battery completely and hold them together for around 30 seconds. Put the positive cable back on first followed by the negative cable, then once all reconnected try and restart the car and see if the module comes to life.

Apparently this can often work.
    Last edited by JamesT5; Sunday 12th January 2014 at 20:12.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

craigieboy (Saturday 1st March 2014)

New here...old and oily
    elsewhere
    Thanks
    I went through this six months ago because I didn't leave it 10 minutes before disconnecting the battery as Harvey correctly states.

Issue solved by a second hand unit with exactly the same part number and ideally with the same switch layout for the DSTC/Child Locks (if fitted) etc. All the joining of disconnected positive and negative battery leads will not change anything I'm afraid. Your CCM unit is not being recognised by the main control unit for the car. Don't worry if the second hand unit doesn't have exactly the same switches they can be swapped with the ones from your original unit. The main control unit recognises the position the switch occupies in the front facia of the CCM unit and not what the switch says. For example I swapped the folding mirror switch (there not fitted to the wife's T5) with the one for the electric child locks and the locks worked.

Hope this helps. I feel your pain.

PM me if you need anything further.
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10521&dateline=138532  2015

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    I have some experience with removing the CCM and did some research before hand.

Try this.... make sure the car is powered down fully (as Harvey says give it at least 10 minutes). Take both battery terminals off the battery completely and hold them together for around 30 seconds. Put the positive cable back on first followed by the negative cable, then once all reconnected try and restart the car and see if the module comes to life.

Apparently this can often work.
    Yep - done that, and did the lock/unlock thing too but still dead. I'll see if I can get someone with Vida to try and re-activate it before we go down the replacement route.

That's providing he doesn't swap it for a landrover first.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Just wondering why the battery was disconnected in the first place,was it for a bit of welding ?.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Just wondering why the battery was disconnected in the first place,was it for a bit of welding ?.
    Cut'n'shut on the downpipe

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    When I was doing some welding on my exhaust I just removed the ecu

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

New here...old and oily
    elsewhere
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Yep - done that, and did the lock/unlock thing too but still dead. I'll see if I can get someone with Vida to try and re-activate it before we go down the replacement route.

That's providing he doesn't swap it for a landrover first.
    Yes, totally agree M-R-P with the finding of someone with Vida. I took mine to my auto electrician mate who has Vida and it was he who told me the CCM wasn't "speaking" to the main module. He suggested a second hand unit as I described above before paying the £580 to Volvo for a new one. Oh plus the £60 or so for the software.

Located a suitable second hand unit from a breakers and when it arrived I contacted him to get him to check it and reprogramme it to the car's VIN number. He said to just plug it in and see if it works. If it didn't he'd do the reprogramme. Anyway, plugged it in and hey presto it sprang into life. Ironically when I was swapping the child lock and electric mirror switches I mistakenly fitted the fascia from my old unit onto the replacement second hand part PCB and...nothing worked. Refitted the second hand units fascia back on and all was OK again.

So, my suspicion is that the damage caused isn't to the PCB at the back it's something to do with the front fascia panel.
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10521&dateline=138532  2015

12. The Following User Says Thank You to V70-R-T5 For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Monday 13th January 2014)

volvo
    Thanks
    Hi Craig ,when you removed the battery lead did you have the key out of the ignition ?,and waited 10 mins for the car to shut down.
    Also when you reconnected the battery did you have the key in the ignition turned to number 2 position if not this could be your problem,might just need a reset with a VIDA-Dice.
    Yeah I waited for the car to shut down with key out of ignition be4 disconnection but I didnt have key in position 2 when I reconected it
    chavboi

New here...old and oily
    elsewhere
    Thanks
    Craig, don't beat yourself up about the position 2 thing. The guy that looks after my V70's was the workshop foreman then service manager at the local Volvo dealership before starting his own (very successful) garage business.

He assured me, when I had the problem, that the position 2 instruction from Volvo was to ensure that no air bag deployment was possible on reconnecting the battery and not to do with "diluting the shock of reconnection by using the big load drawing circuits like the ignition and day running light circuits" as it was suggested on one internet threads I read. Basically the "position 2" would appear to be a cost saving action to completely eliminate the expense of having to replacing air bags should they inadvertently deploy on reconnection of the battery.

See if someone with Vida can do a system check to see if the main control unit is recognising the CCM. If it is, a reset may be all that you'll need.

There's a 7 digit number on a blue sticker on the back of the CCM that identifies it. (Mine is 8651242). Should you have to replace it, that's the 7 digit number to match up with a second hand unit. I was surprised how many are available on the popular auction site. My second hand unit cost £35 delivered which was a £550 saving over a new one from Volvo.
    Last edited by V70-R-T5; Friday 17th January 2014 at 00:31.

Thanks
    When I did the "hold read and press the rear fog button 4 times" trick on Craig's car, I cycled through the DTC list and CCM came up as "not present" or "missing" (something like that).

Let's see what Vida brings...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

volvo
    Thanks
    Wouldent have this problen if id of bought another disco
    chavboi

Thanks
    finally a solution, here's the story...

we bought another ccm with the correct numbers on it from Latvia (it was the only one on eBay in a month).
    Craig fitted it today but it wasn't all working...
    heated seats, heated window and a few other functions didn't work but he at least had control of the main heater and a/c.
    he popped round earlier to see if there was anything that could be done. Some buttons were different so Craig asked me to swap the facia over, prepared to tolerate the problems with the basics working.
    when I took his old ccm apart, I noticed the thermister was broken... this got me thinking back to James and his ccm shenanigans and after a quick Google I cut the thermister out of the replacement ccm, fitted it to the original ccm and lo and behold... it all works! everything!
    needless to say, Chavboy has a big grin

'bout time I got summat fixed lol.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Great result, and well done for fixing it, I know it's been a pain for him for a while now.

Handy that James did his write up a while back.

.....are you on a roll this week fixing things then lol.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V70 Graham View Post
    Great result, and well done for fixing it, I know it's been a pain for him for a while now.

Handy that James did his write up a while back.

.....are you on a roll this week fixing things then lol.
    can't be worse than last week lol

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Great news,I bet he never missed the heating.

Thanks
    I think he missed the heated seats... I don't like them, feels like you've pissed yourself

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    It's amazing how such a little component can cause such havoc with so many systems!! Well done mate and well done James!
    Me: 2005 V70 2.4 T5 SE. All standard.
    The Wife: 2008 C70 2.5 T5 SE. All standard.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to silverhorse For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Tuesday 25th February 2014)

Thread Information