Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Summary of faults - dig in!!

Right,

After a long string of issues (ABS, STC, CCM, potential DIM) I managed to pop up to my mechanic friends house today so he could run a diagnostic on my car. At present, the car runs fine but has various warnings and messages etc - this was the reason for my visit. We interrogated all of the modules and mostly found that it was full of communication errors as I had been using the car with no clocks or CCM fitted (for short local journeys only) as I was fitting replacement bulbs and investigating possible DIM failure. Once we had cleared the codes, cycled the ignition, cleared any codes again, started the car and driven it... we finally interrogated the ECU/modules again and this was what we found:

UEM0004 siren communication fault. After researching, this relates to the dash warning that I have 'ALARM SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED'.

Usual 'BULB FAILURE POSITION LIGHT' warning showing as before.

Orange triangle remaining on dash but previous SRS warning now gone.

It would appear that the alarm issue is fairly recent. I'm almost 100% sure that message wasn't present when I bought the car and I don't recall seeing that very often. I need to get at the alarm siren and module so if anybody could kindly point me in the right direction then I would appreciate it. I have read that the alarm/module may need replacing but in some instances it may need a handy bit of resoldering - anyway I MUST check it asap.

Furthermore, the bulb failure warning is showing, can anyone explain this? Is it relating to faulty headlight levelling motor? I have the drivers side headlight motor unplugged as when it is plugged in it makes a horrendous buzzing noise - I guess this is all related. Any cheap/easy fixes or repairs? Won't bother replacing with new item just wondered if there was an easy fix. Oddly enough, despite dash message, this fault does not produce a DTC on the diagnostics.

Why does my orange triangle remain? Is it because there is a fault present? Even though it is only an alarm fault? Or do I simply need the light resetting? I have been told by Chad @ GRN that the light can't be reset if there are faults present.

Cheers
    Sorry, nothing Swedish here...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Oh, it's worth mentioning by the way, that when plugging the headlight leveller back in, the fault remains displayed on the dash... maybe this isn't the cause of the message after all?

EDIT:

After reading up on the internet, it would seem the bulb message relates to a bulb that's blown. I'll check but I'm fairly sure I haven't got any blown bulbs. Also suggests that it could be a bulb that's not blown but is weak or has a bad connection... well that'll be fun to diagnose!!
    Last edited by Leeds_finest; Saturday 11th January 2014 at 19:07.

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    I thought the alarm service fault related to the battery in the alarm module.

Position light, possibly rear tail light, side light

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    The headlight leveller won't have anything to do with the bulb failure warning.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    The rear light units have two rear markers bulbs in each side ,and a side facing bulb as well thats 3x bulbs per side at the rear.
    Not fitted any LEDs in the car as this can upset the car sensors.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ok will go and check that each side has three.

Also mine's pre facelift P2 so doesn't have those small LED's in rear light units.

Regarding battery for alarm, either way I will investigate, so if it is a duff alarm battery I take it that will require new unit? ebay'd the part number and it's £170.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    The alarm kit is a better way to buy it,the siren unit is sealed and the battery's leak acid onto the pcb inside so it's not likely you can fix it.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    The alarm kit is a better way to buy it,the siren unit is sealed and the battery's leak acid onto the pcb inside so it's not likely you can fix it.
    I had read that on the internet too, although sadly I won't be spending that amount of money on this car. Still worth a look though, I think it's near one of the front inner wheel arches? I had read one instance where someone's alarm siren had become disconnected somehow, easy fix if that was the case.

Right regarding tail lights I have checked the back and with the engine running and the lights switched to 'AUTO ON' it appears there is only one bulb illuminated on either side (lower light unit - not upper one). I have taken a picture but I'm not sure how to upload it?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ok,

Poor reference but:

Name:  pg114a.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  13.0 KB

If 3 and 4 are meant to be illuminated simultaneously when the engines running then the upper ones are out on both sides. Bloody bulbs, I'm certain I changed the drivers side one of those not long back...

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Heres a photo of mine.

The lower bulb is the twin filament side light/brake or fog not sure.
    Last edited by Harvey; Saturday 11th January 2014 at 20:13.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Heres a photo of mine.

The lower bulb is the twin filament side light/brake.
    Thanks for the picture.

Mines pre facelift and ours doesn't have the LED running lights but going by your two main bulbs in the middle, both of my upper ones are dead.

Thanks for the help, will replace tomorrow.

Anybody help with the alarm siren or triangle?

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    I think the position light is in the side of the front headlamps.

I have a pic somewhere, will see if I can find it.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    position light refers to either the front or rear sidelights. normally the rear. put the sidelights on and walk around the car. if it's a rear one, just give the cluster a thump... usually brings mine back on. the bulb failure will keep the triangle on. the alarm warning won't keep the triangle on but goes away after about 15 seconds so it's not so bad.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Sunday 12th January 2014),Leeds_finest (Sunday 12th January 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Update:

The good news is thumping the drivers side rear light cluster brought both drivers and passengers rear bulbs back on. I have removed both bulbs/holders an will give them a clean up on the contacts to see if this improves the scenario. Also, the triangle went off as Mart said so thankfully nothing else causing the triangle, just the bulbs. May remove the rear clusters just to check all connections are ok - is it just the two small nuts that are visible to remove these? Or any hidden ones?

Finally, anybody have an update on where the siren unit is? Still want to fetch this off and check it.

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    The alarm siren is tucked up in the drivers side wing.

To get access it's the o/s/f wheel off, drill out a few of the rivets that secure the plastic arch liner, chisel off the anti tamper bolt that secure the siren cage & then it can be removed and replaced.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cool thanks for the advice.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Regarding rear light bulbs...

I think it may be CLUSTER TO LOOM that's the problem as opposed to BULB TO HOLDER. The bulb connections look more than adequate in the cream coloured holder. May get cluster off next and clean connections.

Thread Information