Join Today
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 850r on dyno

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    Because I can't be arsed with finding out myself, what damage can be caused to the car by the engine being too rich?

Also was the engine cold? A cold engine could explain the overfueling?
    no mate fully warmed up

2. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

LiamT4 (Sunday 29th December 2013)

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post
    Dunno mate, does seem weird that it runs as well as you say, and produced that much power on the dyno, even though it's running that rich, and on whites!

I would ££££ the air filter off and put the standard air box back on before doing another run.
    the filter is pretty new and i just washed it, its a group a cossie one, i'll disconnect it next time

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    If it was running that rich then surely you would have been able to smell it, when it was running on the dyno? Maybe just a malfunction with the diognostics?
    he was doing conversions from lambda figures, i didnt notice any overpowering smell

5. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

LiamT4 (Sunday 29th December 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Because I can't be arsed with finding out myself, what damage can be caused to the car by the engine being too rich?

Also was the engine cold? A cold engine could explain the overfueling?
    Stolen from the internet:

"It is appreciated that the deposition of liquid gasoline on the wall of the cylinder liner is known to be detrimental to the life of an SI engine. Liquid fuel on the combustion chamber and cylinder liner surfaces may lead to an increase in hydrocarbon emissions, particularly during cold-start operation. In addition, liquid fuel on the cylinder bore may wash the protective oil film from the surface liner, making it vulnerable to increased wear and chemical attack by the corrosive combustion chamber products (the latter particularly true when the liner surface is still cold, promoting the condensation of acids). Finally, liquid fuel on the cylinder wall may pass the piston rings, particularly when clearances are at their largest, causing high rates of 'lost fuel' to the crankcase and dilution of the crankcase oil."

At what AFRs bore wash becomes a problem, I don't know?? but hitting 9's can't be good.
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Sunday 29th December 2013),LiamT4 (Sunday 29th December 2013)

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    i know mate i just cant understand it, some places the bhp seems right others the whp seems right
    I prefer to use the whp, but that doesn't mean its the correct one to use, so until someone comes up with the definitive answer........who cares lol
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Stolen from the internet:

"It is appreciated that the deposition of liquid gasoline on the wall of the cylinder liner is known to be detrimental to the life of an SI engine. Liquid fuel on the combustion chamber and cylinder liner surfaces may lead to an increase in hydrocarbon emissions, particularly during cold-start operation. In addition, liquid fuel on the cylinder bore may wash the protective oil film from the surface liner, making it vulnerable to increased wear and chemical attack by the corrosive combustion chamber products (the latter particularly true when the liner surface is still cold, promoting the condensation of acids). Finally, liquid fuel on the cylinder wall may pass the piston rings, particularly when clearances are at their largest, causing high rates of 'lost fuel' to the crankcase and dilution of the crankcase oil."

At what AFRs bore wash becomes a problem, I don't know?? but hitting 9's can't be good.
    9.7 was the lowest god knows what it was with greens then, 3" maf now to lean it off a bit

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i know mate i just cant understand it, some places the bhp seems right others the whp seems right
    It is a joke. It's so frustrating. The forum should pick a dyno manufacturer, and that be the only figure's that count!!

I will say, that my ATR was dyno'd on the Maha at Marlin when it was completely standard, and it came out at 211bhp. Also a standard S60R (I can't remember who's!) was run on the same dyno and came out at 280 something bhp, which is about right for a standard S60R.

My personal take on it, is that whp is bogus, as so many dyno's produce wildly different figures. But let's not start this debate again!!
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    he was doing conversions from lambda figures, i didnt notice any overpowering smell
    Mybe just a miscalculation or software issue then, only way to tell is to put it on another dyno.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Mybe just a miscalculation or software issue then, only way to tell is to put it on another dyno.
    power engineering in february next i reckon

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    It is a joke. It's so frustrating. The forum should pick a dyno manufacturer, and that be the only figure's that count!!

I will say, that my ATR was dyno'd on the Maha at Marlin when it was completely standard, and it came out at 211bhp. Also a standard S60R (I can't remember who's!) was run on the same dyno and came out at 280 something bhp, which is about right for a standard S60R.

My personal take on it, is that whp is bogus, as so many dyno's produce wildly different figures. But let's not start this debate again!!
    what i do know is that this car is alot more powerful than my v70r which made 311bhp and 286whp

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    power engineering in february next i reckon
    I'll try and come along as a spectator to that one.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The other thing to consider is this time of year, when it's colder outside, the p1's do run a little leaner. They're not clever like the ME7 at adjusting the fueling to keep the desired air fuel ratio. In the height of summer it would run even richer. That's why, when these early cars are being tuned, you want to aim for afr's of mid 11's so you have a bit of scope either way.

After my HLM/melted pistons ££££ up, I was paranoid about afr's. Which is the only problem when you fit a wideband afr gauge, you'll find yourself constantly watching it!

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    if the drag losses were only 15% that would equate to 331bhp

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    The other thing to consider is this time of year, when it's colder outside, the p1's do run a little leaner. They're not clever like the ME7 at adjusting the fueling to keep the desired air fuel ratio. In the height of summer it would run even richer. That's why, when these early cars are being tuned, you want to aim for afr's of mid 11's so you have a bit of scope either way.

After my HLM/melted pistons ££££ up, I was paranoid about afr's. Which is the only problem when you fit a wideband afr gauge, you'll find yourself constantly watching it!
    i have one just got to fit it up

This user has no status
    Thanks
    what i do know is that this car is alot more powerful than my v70r which made 311bhp and 286whp
    Ah yes, but on which dyno?!!!

With the right setup, I have no doubt that the hardware you've got should comfortably produce 330-350bhp. With a ported and flowed cylinder head & WI, and tuning to suit you could probably add another 20bhp to that. It'd be a very similar set up to what Redbrick is running.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Ah yes, but on which dyno?!!!

With the right setup, I have no doubt that the hardware you've got should comfortably produce 330-350bhp. With a ported and flowed cylinder head & WI, and tuning to suit you could probably add another 20bhp to that. It'd be a very similar set up to what Redbrick is running.
    what was your s70 t5's bhp and whp from marlin?

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    if the drag losses were only 15% that would equate to 331bhp
    But then you get down to what method was being used, %'s increase/decrease or mechanical drag when the clutch is engaged and the rest.

You'll get a good idea when you do the 1/4mile. Good time + high terminal = good power lol

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    But then you get down to what method was being used, %'s increase/decrease or mechanical drag when the clutch is engaged and the rest.

You'll get a good idea when you do the 1/4mile. Good time + high terminal = good power lol
    i dunno lol, the bloke said the only exact figure they use on that dyno was whp, it was me that asked for the other figure so it was just plus 25% as you say

This user has no status
    Thanks
    what was your s70 t5's bhp and whp from marlin?
    331bhp, 225whp

But the boost was doing funny things if you remember, it was fluctuating up and down on the dyno, something it didn't do on the road. It was only running 1.2bar of boost, as I was fed up with going through KKK's. It did 60-100 in 6.x seconds, so around 330bhp was probably about right.
    Last edited by S70T5Chris; Sunday 29th December 2013 at 15:52.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    331bhp, 225whp
    see that whp figure isn't right, but the bhp seems right, maybe ill go marlin for my bhp figure and keep my whp ive just got lol

Thread Information