Join Today
    Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Question Auto Dimming Mirror Problem

Anyone else had their Auto-Dimming Mirror stop dimming? Mine seems to have stopped Dimming so I have to move my head to avoid getting dazzled by the car behind.

I know there is a daylight sensor on the rear of the mirror and two sensor on the mirror side that detect light coming in from behind (i.e. headlights). From what I've read, the mirrors can 'leak' although there is no sign of this and also the sensors can play up on them. I've tried the trick of covering the daylight sensor with my hand to see if it kicks it in to night mode but nothing seems to work. Also, there doesn't seem to be a fuse specifically for the mirror which apparently also houses the Upper Electronic Module (UEM).

I guess it's a fault within the mirror sensors which unfortunately could also mean a big bill to fix it!

Interestingly, the heated door mirror on the passenger side has also stopped working and the heated seat on the passenger side has stopped heating too, I've yet to check the fuses for those however, but it could be a burnt out element or a module like the drivers seat.

I wonder if all of these issues are somehow related and seriously thinking of buying VIDA because it will tell me straight away.

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    You haven't bought vida yet? Seriously James with these it's a must buy
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    I doubt the faults are related mate. the side mirrors fail all the time and are about 15 quid from pfv. the seat elements are also not known for their longevity and as for the self dimming mirror, rip it out and fit a standard one from a scrapper (I might have one in the shed)

don't forget to drop that oil before you go spending on expensive toys
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    I doubt the faults are related mate. the side mirrors fail all the time and are about 15 quid from pfv. the seat elements are also not known for their longevity and as for the self dimming mirror, rip it out and fit a standard one from a scrapper (I might have one in the shed)

don't forget to drop that oil before you go spending on expensive toys
    I know the upper module lives in the mirror & it does a lot more than you think,I think if it's removed the car won't start,srs fault,alarm fault,sunroof if fitted.Just daft

If you are board have a nice long read of this link. http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?t=16275

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Sunday 29th December 2013)

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    I'll get me coat...
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Mine are dodgy too. They work fine at night, nothing behind me ever dazzles me, but they seem to do naff all in the day.

James, when they leak its obvious as part of the mirror will be normal and the rest will be much darker, bit like an lcd display on a calculator when you squash it lol
    Last edited by LiamT4; Sunday 29th December 2013 at 12:36.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    Mine are dodgy too. They work fine at night, nothing behind me ever dazzles me, but they seem to do naff all in the day.

James, when they leak its obvious as part of the mirror will be normal and the rest will be much darker, bit like an lcd display on a calculator when you squash it lol
    Not leaking for sure, I think it's an issue with one of the sensors. Perhaps a reset on VIDA might be needed....

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    The light sensor for the dash clocks is in the red LED that's the alarm uses,try putting a cover on it in day light and look at the clocks-radio display.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Mine stopped working when the alarm siren went dead... fuse for the alarm pulled.
    Sunroof and mirror didn't function until I replaced the siren...all well again now :-)

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    This is you being very unlucky again james, they don't go wrong very often but are big £££££

there is a huge list of option part numbers of variations because as above the main other function is the central locking control.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    1) Get VIDA

or

2) Go to dealer for accurate diagnosis before you throw, yet more money away.

3) Never second guess a P2.

Harvey is right about the UEM module, it lives in the mirror, hense why they are so expensive. If you out the mirror your car will NOT start, I guarantee it.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information