Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

Alloy refurb northants ish....

Hi guys looking at getting the Volans refurbished and I am intersted in hearing people recommendations on where to get them done,i am northants based and don't mind travelling a little way but not too far,

Cheers

Suspended
    wake me in 2014

Thanks
    Couple cans aerosol and a deck of playing cards to stick between rim and tyre to mask.

Actually easier than you think.

This user has no status

Thanks
    That's clever playing cards ,out of interest what do you use to fill any kerbing marks ?.

Suspended
    wake me in 2014

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Pegdon View Post
    That's clever playing cards ,out of interest what do you use to fill any kerbing marks ?.
    If they are deep, angle gring them back then use emery cloth. Otherwise, just emery cloth.

Ifyouaint got an angle grinder, silverline do a half-decent one for under 30 quid at toolstation.Worth the investment and you'll get plenty of use.

You can do the lot for 50 quid inc grinder as opposed to 60 quid a wheel min.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bongodave View Post
    Couple cans aerosol and a deck of playing cards to stick between rim and tyre to mask.

Actually easier than you think.
    Thanks but kind of the thinking tyre off job, they are Knackered anyway, shot/sand blasted returned to the original factory colour and state, also not intersted in mobile refurbishers, thanks for the info might try the wife's car lol

Suspended
    wake me in 2014

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Red850Restate View Post
    Thanks but kind of the thinking tyre off job, they are Knackered anyway, shot/sand blasted returned to the original factory colour and state, also not intersted in mobile refurbishers, thanks for the info might try the wife's car lol
    If you getting the tyres off you can do an even better job! lol. Independents will charge you a fiver to knock off a tyre!

Dare ya. It's fun and gets ya connected to your motor and saves you a packet.

What I hear of mobile blokes they are better if anything cos they at your house so no dodgey jobs.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I will get the the tyres off,but there are some kerbing marks about 2-3mm deep right on the edge of the rims any idea's what to fill them with?. PS whats a gul?.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts

What I hear of mobile blokes they are better if anything cos they at your house so no dodgey jobs.
    The mobile guys can't do a good job as they just give it a quick blow over.
    A good refurb will take 7-8 hours work with the right gear ,remove tyres & weights,valve,strip back,check rim is running true,shot blast,repair any damage, powder coat the rim in primer, pop in oven,then paint in colour you want,of to oven again, and powder coating clearcoat,back to oven,tyres back on balance then refit to car.
    The clearcoat powder coat is a lot more durable than clearcoat paint for rims. And when the wheel is refurb properly it will stop corrosion coming back as well.
    Just had my ones done ok it cost a bit but a cracking job.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

graemewelch (Friday 27th December 2013)

Suspended
    wake me in 2014

Thanks
    Sorry,that'sjust not the case. The guys now travel around with over 60 grands worth of gear and the finish is equal, if not better than dropping off. The wagons have tyre machines, compressors, shot-blasters, generators and mini spray-booths on board.

Powder-coating, I have been told, is not as tought as 2-pack either. It only takes 6 or 7 hours due to time in oven. Labour time is far, far less.

Times have changed and these guys are geared-up.

As for diy, a crackin job can be done with aerosols, angle grinders and patience.

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Pegdon View Post
    I will get the the tyres off,but there are some kerbing marks about 2-3mm deep right on the edge of the rims any idea's what to fill them with?. PS whats a gul?.
    You can get filler primer in spray cans, just use this to fill small marks.

Suspended
    wake me in 2014

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    You can get filler primer in spray cans, just use this to fill small marks.
    And bigger marks either grind out, or fill with metal epoxy and grind.

It really is do-able to a very good standard if time is taken. If you use Plasti-dip or similar it is even easier. Although dearer per can (12 quid-ish) you gotta think each wheel needs sanding, primer, top-coat and lacquer with normal paint, so if anything works out cheaper and far less work.
    Last edited by bongodave; Friday 27th December 2013 at 09:51.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I have the time and would love to do the wheels but I don't have the facility to do the job properly, ie garage. The R has never wanted for anything. I do not intend to scrimp on the alloys and tyres. I do not mind paying for a good job etc

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thank for the help folk.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    I've just had my volans powder coated at wheelclinic in northampton town centre top pro job 270 including vat and tyres on and off and balanced etc

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    I pay 180 up my way. Chem strip. Sand blasted then powder coat and tyres refited. I prefer to weld my rims if kirbing is deeper than a few mm ill build it up with weld and fill it back down. I use aluminum filler for like scratches. Etch primer the wheel and 2k paints. A oven is needed. 2k paint is a chemical reaction
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Sorry,that'sjust not the case. The guys now travel around with over 60 grands worth of gear and the finish is equal, if not better than dropping off. The wagons have tyre machines, compressors, shot-blasters, generators and mini spray-booths on board.

Powder-coating, I have been told, is not as tought as 2-pack either. It only takes 6 or 7 hours due to time in oven. Labour time is far, far less.

Times have changed and these guys are geared-up.

As for diy, a crackin job can be done with aerosols, angle grinders and patience.
    Just had a look around the net the guy in a van will charge from £50+vat per wheel,they have to paint the wheel I would guess they are not allowed to use two pack paint any more so it will be the water based system they will use due H&S rules as two pack system it is quite dangerous to use without the paint booth and air fed mask & and the general public in the area that they are working.
    The brake dust does attack paint and will eat into it as it's a softer paint.

http://www.alloywheelclinic.co.uk/au...l-repairs.html

http://www.alloywheelclinic.co.uk/au...l-refurbs.html

Even this firm says it only a touch up type job and they don't recommend it. They charge from £50+vat for a full refurb job so it just doesn't make sense to do half a job as they say.
    The man in a van will have to do more than 4 wheels in a working day to make any money at it so time will tell if they can do a Quality job that will last.
    The only time I have seen one of these mobile refurb vans was on a 2nd hand dealers forecourt making the car look better for sale.
    Last edited by Harvey; Friday 27th December 2013 at 11:04.

Suspended
    wake me in 2014

Thanks
    Fair do's.

Just that I saw article on.I think, Wheeler Dealers and looked prety impressive. The 60 grand for a kitted van thing stuck in head.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    I've just had my volans powder coated at wheelclinic in northampton town centre top pro job 270 including vat and tyres on and off and balanced etc
    Thanks mate will give these a try in the new year, did you go black?im looking at remaining OE

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Red850Restate For This Useful Post:

T5frankie (Friday 27th December 2013)

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Red850Restate View Post
    Thanks mate will give these a try in the new year, did you go black?im looking at remaining OE
    yeah mine are now black, but they do all colours mate, sprayed or powder coated

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    I always use metal magic in barnsley 40 a wheel for 17's and a fiver for each tyre fitting and balance

Thread Information