Join Today
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: white smoke

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    you should get away with a full running in cycle again, 500 miles on mineral oil, oil change and another 500 on mineral, then another 500 on normal oil.
    Check the compression 1st if all good go back to standard map and whites and do as Collin said.Hope it works out well mate

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    you should get away with a full running in cycle again, 500 miles on mineral oil, oil change and another 500 on mineral, then another 500 on normal oil.
    what would doing this do colin?

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    This is what i was going to suggest claymore......but also have the pucker MAF as without this you are still up £££££e street!

Through the years i have run in numerous engines with new rings and ends etc. and even without "glaze busting" one just has to run in fast or quickly with not much load.

Ends and rings only need 200miles running in with Mineral oil. Over this figure you can get a glaze which will not allow bedding in whatever you do, this is why brisk running of the engine is best. A rebore is a completely different matter.

It is the heavy load that will do damage running in because of the extra heat generated, light zippy throttle action is best through the gears, not even constant revs........and as Claymore says change the oil and do another run in before using any synth. oil.

As soon as you use synthetic the running or bedding in process stops straight away!

If none of these methods do any good then it looks like a new set of rings again.....pistons are ok. Rings are designed and made of a suitable material to take the wear away from the bore and being Volvo you can be assured that this is whats happened. Although not really any evidence of real condition of the bores as they wear on the power stroke side and not evenly one can still see hatch marks after thousands of miles with Volvo`s but not with the older type Ford`s etc.

A compression test now and a 1000mls down the road would give an indication of any progress.
    cheers, but you're getting my 2 cars mixed about the maf, that's my v70r,

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    i have just took the pipe that fits on to the ptc valve to see if it was getting gases through and it was, i took the ptc off and it was clear, sprayed it with some cleaner and refitted, even with the pipe off i still got blowing out the dipstick and filler cap, white smoke was probably steam lol, its still blowing the dipstick out a touch leaving a gap for oil to escape from

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    cheers, but you're getting my 2 cars mixed about the maf, that's my v70r,
    Sorry Frankie...

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

This user has no status

Thanks
    The white smoke will be water but condensation from inside the block....if it`s the same white smoke when hot and still puffing you may find it a HG but only after checking the compression as on as new they should all be similar even if worn through overfuelling.

If the engine is physically pressured or squirting oil from the dipstick when hot you won`t recover the proper compression even if running in again as the ring gap will of been widened or worn too much for recovery.
    Last edited by 960kg; Tuesday 17th December 2013 at 15:51.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    The white smoke will be water but condensation from inside the block....if it`s the same white smoke when hot and still puffing you may find it a HG but only after checking the compression as on as new they should all be similar even if worn through overfuelling.
    shame as its running perfectly at the moment, goes well at 21psi

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    shame as its running perfectly at the moment, goes well at 21psi
    frankie forget about boost for a while. concentrate on getting the car set up first then issues like this and bent rods can be avoided. your obbcession with boost will make me fast must be costing you a fortune. as the saying "gose do it right do it once". i hope you get it sorted but if was my motor id get it running right first then take the car to be mapped correctly so you can use the mods to there full potential. untill you do the gap between you and dean is just going to grow.. im in no way having a dig so dont take it to heart but just being direct
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to graemewelch For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Tuesday 17th December 2013),leet5r (Tuesday 17th December 2013),theflyingbrick (Tuesday 17th December 2013),WOODY T5 (Tuesday 17th December 2013)

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    frankie forget about boost for a while. concentrate on getting the car set up first then issues like this and bent rods can be avoided. your obbcession with boost will make me fast must be costing you a fortune. as the saying "gose do it right do it once". i hope you get it sorted but if was my motor id get it running right first then take the car to be mapped correctly so you can use the mods to there full potential. untill you do the gap between you and dean is just going to grow.. im in no way having a dig so dont take it to heart but just being direct
    i aint driving it now mate, i have a compression tester coming and i have an wideband afr gauge here ready to fit, there is still no-one that can map these cars mate, as i said graeme its running lovely at the moment, when i drove it the other day it was to get it on a dyno but they let me down.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    i aint driving it now mate, i have a compression tester coming and i have an wideband afr gauge here ready to fit, there is still no-one that can map these cars mate as i said graeme its running lovely at the moment, when i drove it the other day it was to get it on a dyno but they let me down.
    Isn't there?

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    Isn't there?
    Andy is keeping him a secret..

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    Isn't there?
    no there isnt and you give mark shead a 4.3 ecu he will tell you to eff off

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    no there isnt and you give mark shead a 4.3 ecu he will tell you to eff off
    That's why the tt is really the only way forward in custom mapping a 4.3/4.4 now too old tech otherwise

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Tuesday 17th December 2013)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    i aint driving it now mate, i have a compression tester coming and i have an wideband afr gauge here ready to fit, there is still no-one that can map these cars mate, as i said graeme its running lovely at the moment, when i drove it the other day it was to get it on a dyno but they let me down.

AET will remap your car. they are doing custom work for deathy. im sure theres otheres to your just looking in the wrong places. im sure rica do custom tunes and im sure theyll be others.
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamest5r View Post
    That's why the tt is really the only way forward in custom mapping a 4.3/4.4 now too old tech otherwise
    bit like our cars lol

18. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Tuesday 17th December 2013)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    http://www.aet-motorsport.co.uk/

here you go frankie. same people are going to rebuild my turbo in the new year. they custom mapped nosh car to and thats no slouch

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    http://www.aet-motorsport.co.uk/

here you go frankie. same people are going to rebuild my turbo in the new year. they custom mapped nosh car to and thats no slouch

noshs car is an s40 t5, mine is an ancient 850, totally different, you cant tune these by obd2 ports mate

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    noshs car is an s40 t5, mine is an ancient 850, totally different, you cant tune these by obd2 ports mate

yes i know but they are mapping deathys car so they can do it. stop making excuses and get it done.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    yes i know but they are mapping deathys car so they can do it. stop making excuses and get it done.
    simons car is me7 mate ffs

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    There is someone who maps 4.3's better than anyone else as well, by a long way. All of the high spec'd 850's on t5d5 are mapped by Tim Williams and Ben lewis.

Turbo tuner is for people who don't have the knowledge or expertise to modify the moronic 4.3. With the exception of the diy tuner at home (which I fully understand using tt for), In my eyes, if a tuner can't adapt the original ecu to suit, then I wouldn't credit them with enough expertise to 'custom' map my car.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

deathrider311271 (Tuesday 17th December 2013),graemewelch (Tuesday 17th December 2013),MIKESC70T5 (Tuesday 17th December 2013),stribo (Tuesday 17th December 2013),t5 pete (Tuesday 17th December 2013)

Thread Information