Join Today
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Just a thought and I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong but....

I've never done a dyno day before, and I noticed the guy corrected all our figures off ambient air pressure which went into the air filter, but I thought in a turbocharged car you wouldn't be able to correct it because that ambient temp is then heated up during compression in the turbo to x degrees and then cooled via the intercooler to another temp. Just done a quick bit of reading and apparently you can't sae correct turbo engines? So we should be gloating about our non corrected numbers instead?

This user has no status

Thanks
    In an na car the temp/pressure of the air in controlled by your conditions, but in a turbo the pressure is controlled by your wastegate? I'm sure I've got something wrong but it's something to mull over

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie-r View Post
    In an na car the temp/pressure of the air in controlled by your conditions, but in a turbo the pressure is controlled by your wastegate? I'm sure I've got something wrong but it's something to mull over
    A bit of light reading on that here......

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873912

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yeeeaahhh 283.7bhp bragging rights!

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Very happy with this

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:

claymore (Saturday 14th December 2013),JUDGENINJA (Saturday 14th December 2013),merc85 (Saturday 14th December 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post
    What was it at the fly? You can't compare whp dyno to dyno, as they all measure different.
    I'm not going argue but you cannot compare crank bhp because the drag loss on different rollers is not comparable .the is a article about rollers some where .saying that whp is the most accurate reading .

8. The Following User Says Thank You to smithy For This Useful Post:

LiamT4 (Saturday 14th December 2013)

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Very nice...

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    I'm not going argue but you cannot compare crank bhp because the drag loss on different rollers is not comparable .the is a article about rollers some where .saying that whp is the most accurate reading .
    You are going to argue, you always argue your point! Even though it's invalid.
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

11. The Following User Says Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

claymore (Saturday 14th December 2013)

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Well done Rob, Glad to see all those mods paying off And also well done to MRP wicked whp mate

13. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Sunday 15th December 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    You are going to argue, you always argue your point! Even though it's invalid.
    Me I never argue but have a good debat lol

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    People just ignore that article smithy. The fact is if a dyno can't get reliable whp figures then it has f*ck all chance of getting the crank figure correct. A dyno is connected to the car by the wheels, so it measures power at the wheels, how the numbers are then corrected is down to many things. Most dynos I've been to (and I used to go to a lot) would show similar whp AND bhp for the same car (on different dynos), only varying by a few %, which could be down to many things. Theres only been one exception to this rule, where the whp has been way off, but the bhp still seemed to be reasonably accurate for the cars.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    People just ignore that article smithy. The fact is if a dyno can't get reliable whp figures then it has f*ck all chance of getting the crank figure correct. A dyno is connected to the car by the wheels, so it measures power at the wheels, how the numbers are then corrected is down to many things. Most dynos I've been to (and I used to go to a lot) would show similar whp AND bhp for the same car (on different dynos), only varying by a few %, which could be down to many things. Theres only been one exception to this rule, where the whp has been way off, but the bhp still seemed to be reasonably accurate for the cars.

I haven't been on many different manufacturer dyno's. But the best examples I can think of, from my own car - was my T4 ran on a maha, and was 'x'whp (I can't remember the exact figures), and was 222bhp at the fly. 2 weeks later I ran on a Mustang dyno, the flywheel horse power was 221bhp, but the whp was much higher than the maha whp.

If you lined up the same car on ten different manufacturer dynos, I bet the BHP result would be more consistent than the WHP results. You can't compare whp results dyno to dyno, they vary so much.

Already rolling, a 300bhp Scooby will be as fast as a 300bhp V70 all day long, there'll be nothing in it. But your fwd V70 will be (for arguments sake) 270whp, and the 4wd Scooby will be 230whp. You reckon the Scooby will be slower? NO! WHP is something that Americans (and Smithy) are obsessed with! And it's wrong to think that it tells the true picture of a cars performance.

Just look at these results from today. Rob's car is 310bhp at the fly, and 300whp?? Come on. And Judge's T4 is 260whp(????), yet 259 at the fly!! I fully believe the flywheel results from today, they seem very sensible, and what you'd expect, but the whp is a perfect example that defunks the argument that whp is the most accurate reading in the real world. The whp results are only valid for the dyno that it is run on, and nothing else.
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

17. The Following User Says Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

T5frankie (Sunday 15th December 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I haven't been on many different manufacturer dyno's. But the best examples I can think of, from my own car - was my T4 ran on a maha, and was 'x'whp (I can't remember the exact figures), and was 222bhp at the fly. 2 weeks later I ran on a Mustang dyno, the flywheel horse power was 221bhp, but the whp was much higher than the maha whp.

If you lined up the same car on ten different manufacturer dynos, I bet the BHP result would be more consistent than the WHP results. You can't compare whp results dyno to dyno, they vary so much.

Already rolling, a 300bhp Scooby will be as fast as a 300bhp V70 all day long, there'll be nothing in it. But your fwd V70 will be (for arguments sake) 270whp, and the 4wd Scooby will be 230whp. You reckon the Scooby will be slower? NO! WHP is something that Americans (and Smithy) are obsessed with! And it's wrong to think that it tells the true picture of a cars performance.

Just look at these results from today. Rob's car is 310bhp at the fly, and 300whp?? Come on. And Judge's T4 is 260whp(????), yet 259 at the fly!! I fully believe the flywheel results from today, they seem very sensible, and what you'd expect, but the whp is a perfect example that defunks the argument that whp is the most accurate reading in the real world. The whp results are only valid for the dyno that it is run on, and nothing else.
    Judge t4 didnot get 260whp it was at the crank thankyou and goodnight lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Judge t4 didnot get 260whp it was at the crank thankyou and goodnight lol
    Look again - Wheel power (measured) - 260.5hp

I tell you now, the only reason that company installed that dyno, is because it gives the highest whp readings known to man!
    Last edited by S70T5Chris; Sunday 15th December 2013 at 00:16.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    what is this corrected power thing?

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    i agree with chris something not quite right with those figures

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    what is this corrected power thing?
    A few dynos I've seen give a measured and correct flywheel hp, the Maha does. It's the corrected hp result that counts. Sometimes it works the other way, and the corrected is higher than the measured IIRC.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i agree with chris something not quite right with those figures

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    A few dynos I've seen give a measured and correct flywheel hp, the Maha does. It's the corrected hp result that counts. Sometimes it works the other way, and the corrected is higher than the measured IIRC.
    so is robs 324bhp or 310bhp? as he has put on the rolling road table 324bhp

This user has no status
    Thanks
    so is robs 324bhp or 310bhp? as he has put on the rolling road table 324bhp
    310bhp

Thread Information