Join Today
    ...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts

New Turbo....(Tick!) :-)

Well ladies, I picked up my car today from my local main dealer after they spent 2 days fitting a new turbo. LOL, even thou the book time is only 4.30 hours, the tech said it was a right bitch of a job. I guess thats because they don't do very many....or none at all. I gave them specific instructions to make sure that they swapped over the crappy recirc valve fitted to the new turbo for my alloy Forge valve, not forgetting the yellow spring!
    I checked the car over in the car park before i started her up, checked the oil (nice and clean) and checked to make sure everything was in its place, nothing loose etc. All good. Started her up and drove the scenic route home.
    First thing i noticed was the car seemed quieter, well, the engine anyway. I could here the turbo spooling and I watched the boost guage rising and falling as I drove home. Warmed the car nicely on the motorway and only saw a peak boost of about 15psi. Then I had a chance to really open her up on a mile of dual carriageway.
    I floored it in 3rd as I exited a roundabout and kept my foot planted.. watching the guage out the corner of my right eye....

Well, what can I say?! I was totally astonished as the needle flew round to 20psi and held from 3500 rpm - 5000rpm before I changed up to 4th.
    Holy cow!!! The noise was awesome!!! The rush from the exhaust was insane and it pulled like a train. Instant massive grin!! No smoke at all either.

Good to see that had carried out a full health check and everything was fine accept a split rear wiper blade and a cracked seal on the fuel cap. They also washed and hoovered the car too.

Well worth £1350.

I am one happy bunny. I will take some photos in the daylight tomorrow of the new turbo. Its all very shiny behind there now

Well done Lipscomb Volvo, Aylesford.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Nealevo (Tuesday 10th December 2013)

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    what other work did they do, sure my main stealer charged me £232 to fit my turbo & swop manifolds

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    what other work did they do, sure my main stealer charged me £232 to fit my turbo & swop manifolds
    I'm sure Lee means 'supply and fit'

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V70 Graham View Post
    Yes mate, I do. Turbo retails at £982...I paid a lot less than that. They also did me a 52% discount on the labour, Oil service (I supplied the oil) and replaced the relevent nuts, bolts, gaskets etc.

I will be having her Terracleaned next week to clean out all the contaminated parts that have been affected by the buning of oil in the cylinders. will majorly improve the running, clean the O2 sensors and plugs too.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    ill second that they are a pain to remove. what happened to your old turbo lee. was it binned or part exchanged
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    I'm guessing you just went like for like and had a new K24 fitted, what was wrong with the old one? Glad to see you're looking after my car.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V70 Graham View Post
    Yes mate, I do. Turbo retails at £982...I paid a lot less than that. They also did me a 52% discount on the labour, Oil service (I supplied the oil) and replaced the relevent nuts, bolts, gaskets etc.

I will be having her Terracleaned next week to clean out all the contaminated parts that have been affected by the buning of oil in the cylinders. will majorly improve the running, clean the O2 sensors and plugs too.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    ill second that they are a pain to remove. what happened to your old turbo lee. was it binned or part exchanged
    There is a £325 surcharge on the old unit, so obviously I did not keep it. The Seals were knackered and leaking oil into the induction side.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    I'm guessing you just went like for like and had a new K24 fitted, what was wrong with the old one? Glad to see you're looking after my car.
    yes mate, like for like. Seals were knackered. Its done 133k so had a good life.

Regards looking after your car mate...(LOL)...the money i've just spent means your gonna have to wait another 133k!!

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    yes mate, like for like. Seals were knackered. Its done 133k so had a good life.

Regards looking after your car mate...(LOL)...the money i've just spent means your gonna have to wait another 133k!!
    It'll probably take me that long to be able to afford it.

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Silly question but can't you just unbolt the turbo and drip it down or lift it up out of the engine bay?

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts

Must say it would look great next to your S60R... His & hers.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Silly question but can't you just unbolt the turbo and drip it down or lift it up out of the engine bay?
    In your dreams mate.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    There is a £325 surcharge on the old unit, so obviously I did not keep it. The Seals were knackered and leaking oil into the induction side.
    thought there might be lol

Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    theres two ways to remove it. first time i took it out the top. airbox out induction pipes out. engine brace out. downpipe off plus all other oil and water lines. even then trying to squeeze it past the brake lines is a nightmare. you end up loosing a lot of skin off your knuckles. mines geting refurbed shortly so im going to drop it out the bottom this time. this requires removing the driveshaft on drivers side which im replacing anyway so ill be killing two birds with one stone
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

Thread Information