Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts

What's the true value of my car? Answers on a postcard...

My thinking is this, I've invested copious amounts of hard earned into Damien which the market value doesn't really reflect these days, I've got the option now to take out an agreed value, which I am going to do but with a car like mine I'm struggling to come up with a realistic value to insure it at. Obviously the car has had a fair number of general wear and tear things replaced which you can't really argue additional value on like the steering rack but what about taking into consideration the rarity of the car and the mods which have improved the car?

So I made a list of main the things that have been done which in theory have improved, some have little monetary value and some have a fair value.

Starting from the front

TC lower splitter
    Egg Crate grille
    Alloy intercooler
    Genuine Volvo autobox cooler
    Koni Adjustable shocks and lowering springs
    Poly bushed lower torque rod
    Poly bushed firewall and upper torque mounts
    Poly bushed lower arms
    Fully rebuilt engine with CP forged Pistons and H beam rods
    Turbo Tuner
    Turbotechnics 15G Hybrid turbo
    S60R exhaust manifold
    Samco boost and coolant hoses
    Snabb full intake kit
    Snabb turbo to maf pipe
    BSR Optiflow
    Carbon hyrdo dipped engine trims
    Goodridge braided brake hoses front and rear
    IPD Front roll bar and uprated drop links
    Full 3" JT performance exhaust and 200 cell sports cat
    Soon to be fitted AP front brakes
    Koni adjustable rear shocks and lowering springs
    IPD uprated rear antiroll bar

Other items I've done to the car which won't necessarily enhance the car more restore it's condition.

Brand new Volvo front drivers seat cover
    Brand new Volvo steering rack
    Brand new Volvo heater matrix
    Brand new Volvo a/c evaporator
    Brand new a/c compressor
    Brand new a/c condenser
    Brand new Volvo radiator
    Brand new Volvo front and rear brake calipers
    Front and rear bumpers resprayed
    All 5 alloy wheels refurbished.
    Brand new Volvo front and rear mudflaps
    Brand new Volvo ignition leads, rotor arm and cap.
    Retrofitted Volvo pollen filter and housing.
    Brand new Volvo rubber mats and carpet mats
    Brand new Volvo drivers seatbelt

Probably missed loads but gives you something to go on... What value should I ask for, all receipts kept to prove purchase and value, yes it's a huge box full

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    The 854R AUTO in red on eBay at the minute has been fully restored & is up for £4750.
    With yours being rather more original I would probably add a grand.
    Realistically though if the worse should happen & a total loss is claimed ideally you want the money to build one again.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    Very hard to put a number that reflects the work and money that you have put into the car.
    I'd be thinking around the 5k mark.

You've got to look at the market and look at the cost of a replacement if the worst happened
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    The 854R AUTO in red on eBay at the minute has been fully restored & is up for £4750.
    With yours being rather more original I would probably add a grand.
    Realistically though if the worse should happen & a total loss is claimed ideally you want the money to build one again.
    you do know that adding mods deflates the value? that red one on ebay is up for sale again because he can't sell it, why is andys more original? andys has been modded, i guarantee the red one will be in better condition as it has just been restored, i have seen this car up close, but the miles are a little higher, i reckon £3500

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    you do know that adding mods deflates the value? that red one on ebay is up for sale again because he can't sell it, why is andys more original? andys has been modded, i guarantee the red one will be in better condition as it has just been restored, i have seen this car up close, but the miles are a little higher, i reckon £3500
    Because Andy's hasn't had a full repaint going off his 1st post.
    I've seen the red one up for sale as a pair but this is the first time I've seen it for sale as it is.
    Bottom line is what Andy wants in return should the worst happen. I used that red r as a guide seeing as 854 autos in vgc are rare.
    I've not seen either cars in the metal but given the way Gav raved about the condition of Andy's it doesn't sound like it needs restoring.
    As per any classic car, a cars always worth more with good original paint.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Because Andy's hasn't had a full repaint going off his 1st post.
    I've seen the red one up for sale as a pair but this is the first time I've seen it for sale as it is.
    Bottom line is what Andy wants in return should the worst happen. I used that red r as a guide seeing as 854 autos in vgc are rare.
    I've not seen either cars in the metal but given the way Gav raved about the condition of Andy's it doesn't sound like it needs restoring.
    As per any classic car, a cars always worth more with good original paint.
    the red one was emlyns old car and it didnt need restoring, it was a beauty, jon the owner now buys cars restores them then sells them, he is quite well off,

andys car is an auto so far less valuable than a manual, also has had the bumpers painted which detracts value, it has been modded which detracts from the value, its not a gul t5-r and is not an estate all of which are worth more, to us forum members we all know what a good car it is but the outside world doesn't and no-one on here would pay 5 grand for it, thats getting into cosworth territory, if his is worth 5 grand how much is mine worth with lower miles and a manual box?

Meh.....
    Thanks
    It's not about what we'd pay for it.
    It's about an insurance valuation.
    Understand what your saying Frankie but that red one is being sold with mods to finish it off, mods that aren't fitted to the car & Andys has a lot of desire able parts & labour put in it.
    If the worst was to happen he wants a valuation on what it cost to build not what he'd get for it if he sold it.
    I doubt after all this he plans on selling it, unless your disease has become viral.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Oh & not everyone wants a cosworth!
    I'd rather have the money.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    It's not about what we'd pay for it.
    It's about an insurance valuation.
    Understand what your saying Frankie but that red one is being sold with mods to finish it off, mods that aren't fitted to the car & Andys has a lot of desire able parts & labour put in it.
    If the worst was to happen he wants a valuation on what it cost to build not what he'd get for it if he sold it.
    I doubt after all this he plans on selling it, unless your disease has become viral.
    valuations are all well and good but the insurance company probably won't pay that out that much in the event of a claim anyway, mine has an agreed value of £3500

Meh.....
    Thanks
    valuations are all well and good but the insurance company probably won't pay that out that much in the event of a claim anyway, mine has an agreed value of £3500
    Exactly but "agreed value" means they have a top figure they can knock you Down on.
    You & me both know yours isn't worth £3500 just like mine isn't worth £2000 like it's insured for.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

How can the owner of a C70
    have no status
    Thanks
    "agreed value" is exactly what it says on the tin although there are one or two proviso`s

The valuation has to be independant not just submitted by the owner (the RS`s are done by the registrar for your particular vehicle and are accepted as gospel by the better insurance companies)

My suggestion would be to find a well known Volvo guru for an independant valuation on a proper letterhead

In the event of a total loss the insurance company will then pay out this amount less your excess, it is not a starting point for negotiation (assuming you are with a reputable company)

The value should reflect the cost of replacement not what it is worth on the open market

Hope this helps

2005 S60 T5 SE X PLOD RICA 300 MAP

Here today gone tomorrow

Thanks
    Mmmhhh another thread that's gone round the houses....

As stated above the question is for an insurance value not a selling value, I'd certainly say if it was to be sold and the right person was found for it willing to part with the cash I'd be selling for £6,000 - £6,500 grand, mainly cause it wants nothing doing, it's in mint condition inside and out and has all the desirable mods on which are as we all know expensive!! You don't need to be member of this club to know a good car when you see one either!!

If it was mine I'd want an agreed insured value of £6,000 - £6,500.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim S70R For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Sunday 8th December 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    An "agreed value" insurance policy means just that. If the car gets stolen, written off, etc, then that is what the insurance company pay you for it, minus your excess. An "agreed value" policy is completely different to telling your insurance company the car is worth £xxxx when they ask you for a value of the car. You will pay a premium to have an "agreed value" policy, and in a lot of cases insurance companies will want a lot more information on the car, and sometimes detailed pictures to back up what your saying.

So lets not get confused, between a proper "agreed value" policy (which many insurance companies won't even do!), and just telling them what you think your car is worth.

I had an agreed value policy on my S70 for £7500, and that was far too low in hind sight. I got back MUCH more than that, by breaking it.

When trying to put a insurance value on it - at the end of the day, what will it costs to replace the car like for like? That's the value to out on it for insurance purposes. But you can't include service/replacement parts, etc...
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

Jim S70R (Sunday 8th December 2013),martybelfastt5 (Sunday 8th December 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Agreed value is not about telling the insurance company how much your car is worth when you take out your insurance at the time of quote, which come the time I a claim regardless of what you said it's adjusted to market value. It's about fixing an agreement with your insurance company on the value of the car to replace, this figure is then set and in the result of a claim the value agreed is what the claim is worked from, that's why you get loads of forms to fill in, have to take several pictures of the car and have to pay an additional fee for the privilege.

Tbh as much as you clearly hate it Frankie I like the bumper tops painted, as I said before it's what made the car stand out to me when I bought it, I can't see it having a huge effect on the value of the car.
    As for the red one on eBay well if I was forced to replace mine I might consider it but £2,500 for a respray tells that's probably an ok job but not top of the line hand as for mechanically restored well I can only laugh, and before you chirp up yes I have seen the car in the flesh and yes it was after Emlyn sold it, tbh without sounding big headed his car isn't a patch on mine, for example I replaced all the wheel nuts and wheel centres when I had my wheels refurbished I didn't settle for the scabby originals. Tbh I'm not surprised he still owns it considering the car and what he wants for it.

That's for the comments though guys it made for some thought but considering the pistons cost the best part of £1,000 without any other costs I think I'll be wanting a little more than £4,500 as a set agreed value because agreed value is about getting a replacement to the same standard not about getting the best value at the time of a sale.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Sunday 8th December 2013)

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    well mine must be worth at least 10k if i was to replace the car for a like for like one, and every part i have put into it and a fully rebuilt engine

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    well mine must be worth at least 10k if i was to replace the car for a like for like one, and every part i have put into it and a fully rebuilt engine
    Well that's what Agreed Value policys are for. But don't confused between telling the insurance company what you think the car is worth, and an Agreed Value policy.

Even if you've got a value on your policy of £3500, in the event of a right off, the insurance company is going to pay you book price for it, which probably isn't even half that.
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post
    Well that's what Agreed Value policys are for. But don't confused between telling the insurance company what you think the car is worth, and an Agreed Value policy.

Even if you've got a value on your policy of £3500, in the event of a right off, the insurance company is going to pay you book price for it, which probably isn't even half that.
    i have an agreed value policy with adrian flux, but i valued it on what i thought i could sell it for, which after reading this was the wrong thing to do, i will change in jan when it's up for renewal

This user has no status

Thanks
    i have an agreed value policy with adrian flux, but i valued it on what i thought i could sell it for, which after reading this was the wrong thing to do, i will change in jan when it's up for renewal
    I would increase it then, if you've got a proper agreed value with Adrian Flux then you would have had to pay an additional charge for it, sent in 6 shots and filled out 2 A4 forms, it you didn't do those then you don't have an agreed value

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    andy the chances are you could never relace that car should the worse ever happed. i just dont think think youd ever be happy it. i had to fight hard to stop mine being written off a few year ago when arnold clarke cocked up with repair. i told the insurance guy to find me a 2.4 t5 se lux with under 75k in very very good condition then id agree to have mine written off. he couldnt and ive never seen another forsale either.
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

23. The Following User Says Thank You to graemewelch For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Sunday 8th December 2013)

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    andy the chances are you could never relace that car should the worse ever happed. i just dont think think youd ever be happy it. i had to fight hard to stop mine being written off a few year ago when arnold clarke cocked up with repair. i told the insurance guy to find me a 2.4 t5 se lux with under 75k in very very good condition then id agree to have mine written off. he couldnt and ive never seen another forsale either.
    find another another one previous owner 850r with 97k on the clock then

Thread Information