Join Today
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts

Mini custom performance exhaust review

As some of you know, as I've been texting you all day, I had a custom performance dp/exhaust fitted today and to be totally honest I wish I'd never got out of bed.....

I really am fed up with the outcome, not the workmanship (that's for the proper review) but with the horrible drone and noise I now get.

It was an 85 mile trip home and every time I went over 2000 revs the drone started, anything over 45mph (no wise comments that I never do 45mph please) on the motorway was torture.....the noise not going away till 90mph ! (on my private section of the M25) needless to say I have a terrible headache and both Anne and myself are upset that the car we have both built up over the past 2 years has been all but ruined.

Before I left I was told that if I was unhappy I could go back (already e-mailed to book in next Tues) and have the system 'tweaked' my questions to the forum are :

1) Do all estates drone regardless ? I know M-R-P's does and merc85 said at the 'Ace Cafe' his does too.

2) Do you have a performance exhaust that doesn't drone ? If so can you take a look at the pictures below and tell me if your system looks the same, do my silencers look big enough ?

The trip home was the worst I've had since owning the car, it will be parked up for the week.....not a 'good day'

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Here today gone tomorrow

Thanks
    Really sorry to hear that it's not what you where looking for Graham. To be honest with you your not going to get a performance exhaust without the noise, well not a proper performance exhaust anyway. Your best off getting a cat back system if you want something that looks good and limits the drone but you'll never 100% get away from it.

I know it doesn't help but it looks like a nice exhaust and certainly fits well.

VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Mine doesn't drone as such... It's a bit noisier but still quiet enough to use the phone and hold a conversation

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    My scorpian system dosen`t drone, it sounded like a standard system.

My only drones now because I`ve removed the rear back box to fit the twin exit

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    graham those silencers are tiny. that middle one is perthetic. ive no idea what you payed but id be unhappy with the mig welds. my understanding this is a company at the top of its game and one of the best out there. the middle silencer looks to be about 4" diameter and about 12" long max. that rear silencer looks to be about 10" max. whats it like on tickover. i was looking forward to hearing how happy you were with the job. i cant beleave what im reading or seeing for that matter. hopfully theyll get it all sorted for you. a nice 6x4" silencer in the middle should help.
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Blimey you have more silencer's than mine...... I'm pleased with mine, the only drone get is at 65 but as soon as i tell the wife to shut up , it goes away lol

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

craigieboy (Monday 9th December 2013),LeeT5 (Tuesday 6th January 2015),T5frankie (Monday 2nd December 2013),theflyingbrick (Tuesday 3rd December 2013)

Kawasaki T5. Built by a Swede,
    Driven by a turnip!
    Thanks
    shame bout that grae. keep your chin up and see the out come of the changes they make tho...
    i dont have drone- your middle box looks a lil small if im honest tho. mines placed almost straight after the cat(if there was one)
    ill see if ive got pics...

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    the layout of that exhaust looks odd for a P1. Especially the rear silencer placement.

GWE may be able to give an expert opinion on this

----- Damn he's quick! ----------
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Sorry to hear you are not happy,Have this weekend moved the exhaust from the S60 onto the V70 and it is a nice sound.
    It only makes it present heard when the revs go above 4k revs at tick over just sounds a little bit deeper tone.
    Did you have two boxes fitted the photo looks like only one at the back,I just looked at your photos and the front box does look very small,short.

Last edited by Harvey; Monday 2nd December 2013 at 20:08.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim S70R View Post
    Really sorry to hear that it's not what you where looking for Graham. To be honest with you your not going to get a performance exhaust without the noise, well not a proper performance exhaust anyway. Your best off getting a cat back system if you want something that looks good and limits the drone but you'll never 100% get away from it.

I know it doesn't help but it looks like a nice exhaust and certainly fits well.

i have to disagree with most of the above. looks average to me. i wouldnt be impressed at all. ive got a 100 cell cat and one silencer on my exhaust and i get no drone what so ever. infact my cone filter drowns out the exhaust. stand your ground graham. it has two very small silencers that arnt going to absorb a lot of sound. i wont of built as many systems as these guys but ive never had anyone turn up for a exhaust and be unhappy with the results. i always use straight through silencers.
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    mine also drones quite loud, just turn the radio up lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Monday 2nd December 2013)

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    mine also drones quite loud, just turn the radio up lol
    mine just dones at 65mph, but it always sounds like its from the passenger side Wierd??? lol

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Sorry to hear this.....I know when I had my custom exhaust done, I discovered it droned on the motorway - I returned for a 2nd silencer to be fitted and that cured it instantly.

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    My saffy was even worse than my awd but you still have the drone.It is horrible on a long trip,55-75mph was horrible.Sorry to hear this mate.Ask Graeme on here what to request when you go next tuesday to keep the noise down.The thing is you wouldn`t hear it half as much if it was a saloon so being an estate its all there.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post
    mine just dones at 65mph, but it always sounds like its from the passenger side Wierd??? lol
    it doesn't bother me as i have the v70r when i need quiet

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    There are 2 silencers, the middle pic shows the (very) slim one, as Graeme says about 4"

It is slightly noisier on tickover and I wasn't expecting it to be as quiet as stock but in my opinion it is too droney (if that's a word)

I will obviously be giving them a chance to look at it and see what they can do, they have already said bring it back if I'm not happy.....it's just at the moment I feel like cutting it all off.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    it doesn't bother me as i have the v70r when i need quiet
    yeah yeah your just showing off now lol, i just drive my 1.4 lpg berlingo mate that sorts it for me lol

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    I use ear plugs in my car....lol
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

21. The Following User Says Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

iancho (Tuesday 3rd December 2013)

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    I use ear plugs in my car....lol
    now yours just sounds flippin epic lol

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post
    yeah yeah your just showing off now lol, i just drive my 1.4 lpg berlingo mate that sorts it for me lol
    it's actually a lie cos i aint driven it since i got it lol, using the 850r every day

Thread Information