Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Exclamation Climate Control Module (CCM) Cleaning/Servicing - a word of warning...

I seem to be making up for a lack of posts over the last few months, those of you who follow my facebook updates will be pretty much up to speed on all of the mishaps and changes, but for the rest of you who aren't, here was another costly mistake of mine. Some of you will be well aware of this potential problem for one reason or another but for those less technically minded (like myself), a word of warning when servicing or cleaning the CCM.

Some background... Since I had the car the button for directing the air flow to the feet had been 'stuck inwards' (see photo) and was jammed, no matter what I did it wouldn't release so I decided to take the damn thing out, dismantle it and sort this annoying issue once and for all. Once I'd fiddled about and worked out how to fix it, I also decided to clean the fluff out of that temperature sensor grill on the front of the unit as well as clean the fan up inside as well because it was clogged with dust and was annoying me also.

So I found out that the button was jammed in because some plonker had managed to get some brown sticky substance in the button at some point, possibly a coffee or something judging by the colour of it. I managed to clean it all out and put the buttons all back together nicely, then put the circuit board back in before turning my attention to that dusty aperture leading to that grill thing on the front.

Now, me being me, I decided to poke a screwdriver through and gently prise out the dust. Big mistake! I ended up snapping the little thermistor in there just behind the grill and the result of this should you ever do it is a total failure of your CCM (as I quickly found out myself).

So, after kicking myself for a few hours and trying to fruitlessly resolder the damn thing (which is also pointless by the way but I was desperate), I conceded defeat, hopped on to fleabay and purchased a replacement unit using the part number on my old one.

The unit turned up a couple of days later and was basically the same apart from the buttons on the bottom were missing on the new unit (see photo - the original casing is the top one of the two). As swapping the buttons over would involve removal of the circuit board anyway, I decided it might just be easier to swap over the circuit board as this was identical and the thermistor it soldered to the board.

10 - 15 minutes of careful 'surgery' and I swapped the innards of the replacement unit over to my old casing and then refitted it to the car. Hey presto! No software update or VIDA reset needed and I had a working CCM again.

There we have it, a word of warning to you anyone thinking of doing this themselves. If I can replace the thermistor in the old circuit board then I'll have a unit that I can sell on, if not it will be scrapped or I'll keep the casing as a spare.
    Last edited by JamesT5; Monday 25th November 2013 at 18:01.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Monday 6th January 2014),silverhorse (Monday 25th November 2013),stephenevans99 (Monday 25th November 2013)

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    I almost did the same tbh.....when I first got my S60 the vent for the sensor was clogged with 'debris' so I got to work cleaning it out with an o-ring pick....luckily realised the wire was mean't to be there and didn't tug on it too hard.

We learn by our own mistakes - or if we're lucky - the mistakes of others

Good heads up though James & nice to see what the CCM looks like when stripped.

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Might also be worth a mention to DISCONNECT the car battery before disconnecting the CCM, otherwise you'll have an SRS Warning Light on the dash.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenevans99 For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Monday 25th November 2013)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenevans99 View Post
    Might also be worth a mention to DISCONNECT the car battery before disconnecting the CCM, otherwise you'll have an SRS Warning Light on the dash.
    Yes, well that as well but really my concern for disconnecting the battery is more to do with not frying the circuits or messing up the software when you plug it back in. The best procedure I read was to take both terminals off the battery (negative off first and reconnect last), touch both terminals together for 20 -30 seconds whilst they are off the battery and that clears any data in the system, but the car needs to power down for at least 2 minutes first.

Apparently, this touching of the cables can also bring the CCM back to life if it doesn't start up for any reason whether it has been off the car or not. It's no guarantee but sometimes it works - so I read anyway!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

stephenevans99 (Tuesday 26th November 2013)

New here...old and oily
    elsewhere
    Thanks
    This isn't imperative guys. I've just gone through a similar issue with the ECC control unit "going tech" in the T-5 (basically nothing worked one day) although the thermistor would also appear to have been broken since we bought the car in 2006!!!

Just make sure the ignition is switched off when you disconnect the ECC unit. In fact, just take the keys out of the ignition. You can actually re-connect the unit with the engine running (it's the disconnect with power on that causes the SRS service warning to come on) but better to change the unit with no power on at all. This saves the disconnecting the battery palaver.

Hope this assists.
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10521&dateline=138532  2015

9. The Following User Says Thank You to V70-R-T5 For This Useful Post:

stephenevans99 (Tuesday 26th November 2013)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V70-R-T5 View Post
    This isn't imperative guys. I've just gone through a similar issue with the ECC control unit "going tech" in the T-5 (basically nothing worked one day) although the thermistor would also appear to have been broken since we bought the car in 2006!!!

Just make sure the ignition is switched off when you disconnect the ECC unit. In fact, just take the keys out of the ignition. You can actually re-connect the unit with the engine running (it's the disconnect with power on that causes the SRS service warning to come on) but better to change the unit with no power on at all. This saves the disconnecting the battery palaver.

Hope this assists.
    How do you explain why the CCM packed up when I ended up breaking the thermistor? I had the battery off for removal and refitting of the CCM.

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Glad it's sorted.....that will teach you for poking around in small holes

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

12. The Following User Says Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Tuesday 26th November 2013)

New here...old and oily
    elsewhere
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    How do you explain why the CCM packed up when I ended up breaking the thermistor? I had the battery off for removal and refitting of the CCM.
    Jim, are you talking about the CCM, the Central Control Module (located under the centre console) or the ECC, the Electronic Climate Control panel under the radio control unit in which the thermistor is located?

Many people call the "heater control panel" the CCM. If you have Electronic Climate Control the "heater panel" is actually the ECC panel which sends a confirmation message to the CCM when the vehicle ignition goes live. (The CCM also receives confirmation messages from the engine ECU, the auto box ECU, if fitted, the ABS ECU the steering column ECU for the switches and the door/cabin light/window lift logic units). The CCM is from where the dealers read the fault codes.

If you are talking about the ECC panel, when you broke the thermistor, all you would have done is stop the ECC from working. Your blower and all the other switches should still work. Mine did for some 7 years but clearly I didn't have full climate control although the AC did chill. However, my wife noticed the AC starting to play up and the hot/cold controls starting to function intermittently over a couple of week, then one morning, nothing.

I don't know why your panel stopped working but it was probably the same reason mine stopped too. It just gave up.The interesting thing was that when I got the replacement ECC I put the front panel from the old (broken) unit onto the replacement to keep the switches but the new unit wouldn't work. So, contrary to the belief I had that it was the PCB, it would in actual fact be something to do with the front panel. Given that you found some brown gunge etc jammed into the switches on the front panel......who knows???

However, did you try this?

Last edited by V70-R-T5; Wednesday 27th November 2013 at 19:57.
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10521&dateline=138532  2015

14. The Following User Says Thank You to V70-R-T5 For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Wednesday 27th November 2013)

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V70-R-T5 View Post
    Jim, are you talking about the CCM, the Central Control Module (located under the centre console) or the ECC, the Electronic Climate Control panel under the radio control unit in which the thermistor is located?

Getting confused...lol

I always the understood the Heater Control Panel to be the CCM (Climate Control Module) and the module located under the dash as the CEM (Central Electronic Module).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenevans99 For This Useful Post:

V70-R-T5 (Wednesday 27th November 2013)

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Getting confused...lol

I always the understood the Heater Control Panel to be the CCM (Climate Control Module) and the module located under the dash as the CEM (Central Electronic Module).
    yep, that's right but... TCV and BCS are the same, as are ECU and ECM. Depends where you're getting your info from at the time I spose
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    yep, that's right but... TCV and BCS are the same, as are ECU and ECM. Depends where you're getting your info from at the time I spose
    So I wasn't wrong then?

Thanks
    You can call it sugartits if you like mate, so long as we know what you're on about

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Wednesday 27th November 2013),stephenevans99 (Wednesday 27th November 2013)

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    pmsl.....sugar tits

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    pmsl.....sugar tits
    Next forum post on this subject will go something like this........ "My Sugar tits has stopped working".

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    ....and we'd all know EXACTLY what you mean.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenevans99 For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Wednesday 27th November 2013)

Thanks
    "I've got cream all over my sugar tits...."

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Not far off topic then !

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V70 Graham View Post
    Not far off topic then !
    I got some on the topic too

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    words one would expect to hear only in dreams, or on a VPC discussion about....what was it being discussed again? Flanges?

Thanks
    Flange

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Thread Information