Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks

Lightbulb Just an idea....possibly gonna burn for this one!

Hello all,

I'm thinking of getting a spare 2.3T5 engine for the old brick, getting it stripped & rebuilt with probably a few optional extras to bulk up its HP output.....found a couple on ebay/scrappers, nice & cheap & so not a problem.

However whilst was scanning about I noticed a couple of BMW M5 engines, also good value & they already carrying 500 pit ponies!

Anyone tried this?? Will the M5 lump fit in the engine bay?...will I need to replace the transmission?...& probably a couple of hundred other what ifs

Consider this a feasibility study, so don't flame me too much for trying to create Frankenstein's monster!

Cheers

Morgan

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    If its a t5 you have we have wrd for bimmer engines

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    You won't fine a 500bhp m5 engine in the Scrappers and they would cost thousands

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    The V10 M5 engine won't fit transversely, you could fit it longitudinally, but you need to modify the firewall, then find a suitable gearbox, propshaft, rear axle, rear suspension, fuel tank, stand alone engine management etc.

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    You won't fine a 500bhp m5 engine in the Scrappers and they would cost thousands
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-M6-M5-...item20db6c49f5

lol

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Can't see it, so therefore it's not there

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    here is a different idea for you , take the m5 gearbox, mount it to the t5 and sort rwd.
    that is done frequently in sweden. if it almost the box of choice .

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    seen the link now and as i said, thousands

time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    It was this that got me thinking:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-BMW-5...item485ccdf7d5

Appreciate there would be a bit of fettling + additional costs but could you tune a standard 2.3 hpt to 500 horses for less than £1500?

Again its just an idea, really for a trackday car, but just trying to gather knowledge on if it's even feasible, let alone desirable

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post

Appreciate there would be a bit of fettling + additional costs but could you tune a standard 2.3 hpt to 500 horses for less than £1500?

Again its just an idea, really for a trackday car, but just trying to gather knowledge on if it's even feasible, let alone desirable
    It's going to cost a lot more than £1500 to get that engine as a runner, as it's not in good condition, installation costs again will probably cost more than the engine. It is possible, but you're going to need deep pockets.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks

thats a 400bhp engine

12. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

LiamT4 (Thursday 21st November 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    What car are you wanting to fit this engine into because you mentioned 2.3hpt

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    thats a 400bhp engine
    and it would cost loads to get the s62 engine up to 500bhp.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    And yes, you could get a 2.3 T5 up to 400bhp for £1500 if you know what you are doing.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    And yes, you could get a 2.3 T5 up to 400bhp for £1500 if you know what you are doing.
    That's more like it.....

I'm not fixed on the idea of the M5 engine, just trying to work out the best way to get bang for bucks as I've got a young family & a business clawing its way out of a recession.....sadly atm every buck has to be accounted for

The trackday car is a hard sell as it is to my better half [let alone another Volvo ] & the chances of sneaking a massive pit lane budget past her are scarce to none! She does the books.

Just looking for cost effective ways of chucking a few more ponies into the mix, so expect a few PM's Claymore if I get hold of another T5 engine!

Cheers

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    The only way you are going to be able to do it is if you can cut out any labour costs and can do all your own fabricating.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    The only way you are going to be able to do it is if you can cut out any labour costs and can do all your own fabricating.
    I'm always game for a challenge.....but don't be surprised if it end's up like the flintstone's car, me peddling like mad, after I've taken a 20lb sledge to the block in frustration...i'm good with buildings, not cars

p.s. though to be fair - I did once change a prop shaft on a transit tipper, back in 1998..........

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:

claymore (Thursday 21st November 2013)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Me personally would leave the t5 engine in the 850.
    Forge it, lighten it & stick a plentiful blower on it. 350bhp will be more than enough stripped out.
    I have done plenty of engine conversions in the past, let engined mk2 Astra, xe engined nova & sr20det engine in a primera but my advice to you would be that you want a v8/m5 & rwd then buy a car that's rwd & v8 already.
    Stav was selling a twin turbo v8 940 for £2k so sell the t5 to someone who will love it & buy that mate, dam site cheaper & less hassle, the hard work is done!
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:

Shinsplintz 101 (Thursday 21st November 2013)

time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    Me personally would leave the t5 engine in the 850.
    Forge it, lighten it & stick a plentiful blower on it. 350bhp will be more than enough stripped out.
    I have done plenty of engine conversions in the past, let engined mk2 Astra, xe engined nova & sr20det engine in a primera but my advice to you would be that you want a v8/m5 & rwd then buy a car that's rwd & v8 already.
    Stav was selling a twin turbo v8 940 for £2k so sell the t5 to someone who will love it & buy that mate, dam site cheaper & less hassle, the hard work is done!
    The plan as it stands is to keep the t5 as original as possible, few tweaks to upgrade & make it a more refined version of its lovely self...I don't plan on getting rid unless absolutely necessary!

The trackday car is a different project that i'm considering, possibly just dreaming about atm, it would include buying another t5 & jazzing it up for the track. Would need to set a budget [probably with the help of some of the more frugally minded on the forum ] & give myself a year or two to get it done, if ever. Just throwing a few ideas out & seeing what I get back. The M5 powerplant option doesn't seem to be winner...better luck next time!

Thanks for the input, much appreciated - 'forging' what does that entail/what does it do/who does it & how much does it cost? Seen it mentioned in a few threads so may as well throw out the noob question whilst i'm new )

Cheers, morgan

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:

Biff (Thursday 21st November 2013)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    The plan as it stands is to keep the t5 as original as possible, few tweaks to upgrade & make it a more refined version of its lovely self...I don't plan on getting rid unless absolutely necessary!

The trackday car is a different project that i'm considering, possibly just dreaming about atm, it would include buying another t5 & jazzing it up for the track. Would need to set a budget [probably with the help of some of the more frugally minded on the forum ] & give myself a year or two to get it done, if ever. Just throwing a few ideas out & seeing what I get back. The M5 powerplant option doesn't seem to be winner...better luck next time!

Thanks for the input, much appreciated - 'forging' what does that entail/what does it do/who does it & how much does it cost? Seen it mentioned in a few threads so may as well throw out the noob question whilst i'm new )

Cheers, morgan
    if i was after a track car ill be honest a volvo would be bottom of my list. id be looking at somthing that handles like a go kart. would have to be awd or rwd. the like of 300zx are peanuts theses days. as are scoobies. i know wear my money would be going. a volvo is a family cruiser and that not going to change ay time soon.
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

25. The Following User Says Thank You to graemewelch For This Useful Post:

Shinsplintz 101 (Friday 22nd November 2013)

Thread Information