Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts

ipd heavy duty tcv

big thanks to jammie for getting this to me so quickly. going to be fitting it tomora as me heads stuck in a bucket today. ive no idea if mines worn or not. but ive never changed it in 25k so guess cant do any harm. it was reading grahams post that made me thinking about changing it when he said noticed a good difference. befor and after is going to be impossible as some many parts have been changed and refurbed recently. after all this effort to uprate adn change all servicable parts im hoping for a nice power delivery.

is it advisable to change the vacuum pipes. it never crossed my mind but ive got 3 meters of silicone hose in garage. not sure it good enough as the volvo lines looks much better quality

ill be a good lad and keep the sweets till after tea
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    A couple of things...

Did the TCV come with instructions on how to "train" the ecu to use it? If not, download them as correct setup is very important for these to work properly.

You need 4mm hose to change all the vac lines, the recirc and compressor hose should be a priority as they are most prone to fail.

I've got the previous version of the tcv and it's been really good, makes the boost come in with a bit more aggression and unlike the OE valve, you can pull it apart and clean it.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Highly recommend good silicone hoses & jubilee clips to hold the hoses on.

The hose on my turbo virtually fell off when I went to change it, it cracked off the end of the nossel because it was so brittle.

Rubber hoses are pretty rubbish at withstanding prolonged high tempreature.

The setup procedure is tricky to do, I recommend an empty road & have passenger help you monitor either the revs or the road (steering wise) it makes life so much easier.

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    have fun graeme.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to partsforvolvos.com For This Useful Post:

graemewelch (Thursday 21st November 2013)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    A couple of things...

Did the TCV come with instructions on how to "train" the ecu to use it? If not, download them as correct setup is very important for these to work properly.

You need 4mm hose to change all the vac lines, the recirc and compressor hose should be a priority as they are most prone to fail.

I've got the previous version of the tcv and it's been really good, makes the boost come in with a bit more aggression and unlike the OE valve, you can pull it apart and clean it.
    ill read these befor i start driving. good job i posted this or else i would of done the normal blokey thing. fit first drive it then read teh instructions

Quote Originally Posted by thebadger View Post
    Highly recommend good silicone hoses & jubilee clips to hold the hoses on.

The hose on my turbo virtually fell off when I went to change it, it cracked off the end of the nossel because it was so brittle.

Rubber hoses are pretty rubbish at withstanding prolonged high tempreature.

The setup procedure is tricky to do, I recommend an empty road & have passenger help you monitor either the revs or the road (steering wise) it makes life so much easier.
    im not convined the silicone hose i have is up to the job.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicone-V...item43b1976930

or am i being to anal.
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    ill read these befor i start driving. good job i posted this or else i would of done the normal blokey thing. fit first drive it then read teh instructions

im not convined the silicone hose i have is up to the job.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicone-V...item43b1976930

or am i being to anal.
    If you fit the TCV and just boot it, you'll get a boost spike, you'll think "woohoo" and then "oh bugger" as the car reels the power back in. I found that one out lol.
    Train it just right and it'll be lovely.

That vac hose will be fine, I have it on mine but braided fuel hose is supposed to be the best upgrade.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    If you fit the TCV and just boot it, you'll get a boost spike, you'll think "woohoo" and then "oh bugger" as the car reels the power back in. I found that one out lol.
    Train it just right and it'll be lovely.

That vac hose will be fine, I have it on mine but braided fuel hose is supposed to be the best upgrade.
    ill get some of the braided stuff. only the best will do. looks better to. not to keen on the look of the silicone hose. must shake off this anal head of mine. its costing me a fortune

Thanks
    Nowt wrong with a bit of anal...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Nowt wrong with a bit of anal...
    are we still talking about being a picky perfectionist or the kind of anal you and graham get up to

Thanks
    Graham? oh no, I prefer a little more grass on the wicket.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    well its all fit. i can say it was well worth it. car pulls so much harder now. isnt as smooth as it was. full boost seems to comin in faster now and it certainly pulls loads better. next thing is a forge actuator as mine will prob be worn.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to graemewelch For This Useful Post:

volvokid (Saturday 23rd November 2013)

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Good stuff
    How much was it
    Thanks
    Martyn

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    Good stuff
    How much was it
    around £90 quid delivered i think. worth every penny. slowly getting the car wear i want it to be

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    TBH I can't see how a TCV can be heavy duty, it either passes air to the actuator, or it doesn't, and a genuine Volvo one is about half the price. As long as you're happy though mate.

This user has no status

Thanks
    They're just mac valves with a 40 quid IPD badge!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dream3r For This Useful Post:

stribo (Saturday 23rd November 2013)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    TBH I can't see how a TCV can be heavy duty, it either passes air to the actuator, or it doesn't, and a genuine Volvo one is about half the price. As long as you're happy though mate.

it needed doing so thought why not. i did look at them both but decieded to try the more expensive one which i beleve is serviceable

Quote Originally Posted by Dream3r View Post
    They're just mac valves with a 40 quid IPD badge!
    i had heard that but wasnt sure so didnt want to chance it

This user has no status

Thanks
    I'll find a pic of mine tomorrow. They are heavy duty industrial valves so I was hoping it would last longer than the OE one.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    if the car had drove the same as it did with the old one then i wouldnt of been happy but its changed it for the better so im happy.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    if the car had drove the same as it did with the old one then i wouldnt of been happy but its changed it for the better so im happy.
    I found mine was a bit aggressive for a while but it calmed down.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    I found mine was a bit aggressive for a while but it calmed down.
    id say full boost comes in with more of a bang. im sure it comes in a bit sooner to. did my best with setting it up but i couldnt say wear half boost is so i guessed.

Thread Information