Join Today
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    The Volvo with a 'twist'!
    Thanks
    It pulls really well, not like a T5 of course, the power is always there no matter what gear you're in, so torquey

Apparently they all handle well but this is superb frankly, no roll, direct steering etc

More important than all that though, this car just makes you feel special.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicDavey View Post
    It pulls really well, not like a T5 of course, the power is always there no matter what gear you're in, so torquey

Apparently they all handle well but this is superb frankly, no roll, direct steering etc

More important than all that though, this car just makes you feel special.
    wanna swap for a 740? lol

Thanks
    I'm not sure how to put this so here we go....

Just put fuel in the Alfa yesterday afternoon, about a mile later the transmission light started flashing, then the battery light came on and a huge screeching from the driver's front. Turned around and went home. Turned the car off and started it again to hear the bottom end starting to give up and then when I got out of the car there was a pool of brake fluid under the rear of the car.

Started it this morning and it's puffing out blue smoke, the gearbox is beeping like mad when you put it in gear and a warning about the air conditioning came up on the dash.

How can so many thing all go wrong at once? At least I haven't spent any money on the car so less to lose and I have no choice but to break the car. Boy it's going to hurt as I had fallen for this car so hard, oh well...

You may be able to see where this is going... The dismantling of the Alfa will mean I need the flat part of the drive free so I have no choice but to get the Volvo on the road!

I bought a battery for it the other week and I have it charging in the safety of my bedroom lol

On Wednesday the wheels arrived from Frankie, they definitely need some paint but I knew that of course, they're too bad for me to do a proper job so I'll get a pro to do them, I know someone that knows someone who knows someone who does powder coating so I might be able to get them done cheap

V70R Comets 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

V70R Comets 002 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

I wasn't sure what colour I wanted to have them but once offering them up to the car I am pretty sure I want them done the same colour again.

V70R Comets 003 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Pretty sure I needed to replace the front droplinks for the MOT! The old ones were cheap eBay items, lasted for about 12 months driving. Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!
    I've gone for Meyle HD links for £44 the pair delivered, they're thicker and the rubber boots feel thicker too so they should improve the dead steering feel these cars have and more importantly last!

Droplinks 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Droplinks 002 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

And the last shot of the Alfa on the road.

14-03-14 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

no experience but has
    enthusiasm aplenty

Thanks
    Gutted for you about the alfa mate.

The alfa wheels are 5x108 I think......

5. The Following User Says Thank You to artfulflounder For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Thursday 20th March 2014)

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Wow, so many things wrong all at once, shame as you said you were getting to quite like the car.

Hope you get the Volvo back on the road with no problems.....maybe get the battery out of the bedroom though !

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Thanks
    Truly gutted but on a brighter note I will get a lot more for it in bits than what I paid for it. I think that possibly the V70 was beating it up or something when I wasn't around lol! That V6 was lovely for the 120 miles it lasted

These 166s are 5x108 yeah (but with a smaller cb) so I'll consider trying them but they're worth good money so....
    Last edited by AcidicDavey; Sunday 16th March 2014 at 00:24.

Thanks
    After much thought and deliberation I popped the tax disc off in the post from the windscreen of the Alfa. I'm not selling it and I doubt I'll be breaking it either, the more I thought about it, the more I thought the grumbling from the engine is just an idler or tensioner on its way out. For now it can go on a Sorn until I decide what to do with it.... it's the new V70!!!

This afternoon I went off with me green can and got some fresh fuel, put the new battery in this car and put the petrol in. It has lower miles on it than I thought, 117700, hasn't had a battery in it since October 2012. In prep of the big start all I've done is check the fluids, clean the plugs and cranked it over without the kinglead on the coil. After completing the ignition circuit and hopping back in it fired immediately! It started more confidently than any car I've owned! Yes, it was a little bit tapperty until it warmed up but it hasn't ran for 17 months or so you can't blame it! No smoke or warning lights.

Started the Alfa with no drama, moved it off the drive and then did the same with the V70. When I moved the Alfa again the grumbling was apparent more than ever . The sideskirts scraped getting to its' resting place lol! I then of course took the V70 for a little and gentle spin around the block. I dared not take it to 30mph due to the huge noise coming from the n/s/f. The wheel bearing of course (the reason I took it off the road back in June 2012), it's got a lot worse from sitting still, I've got a new genuine one but that's a job I'm having to give to my garage due to a complete lack of tools, I don't even have a breaker bar!

Oh well, the car is booked into the garage for its' wheel bearing swap and MOT on Friday, they'll chuck the new oil and filter on too since they've got it.

Here are a couple pics to PROVE it's going on the road

V70 vs. 166 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Ignore the puddle under the car, that's brake fluid from the Alfa!

19-03-14 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Well there we go, I can't see the car failing on anything (unless they test it before doing the bearing perhaps!), I'll update when I know...

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Well sorry to hear about the Alpha but tbh glad it got the Volvo off the drive!!

The Comets look good, think a nice silver grill would balance it a little

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Thursday 20th March 2014)

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Glad to see the Volvo on the road, good luck for tomorrow.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

12. The Following User Says Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Thursday 20th March 2014)

Thanks
    Cheers chaps

I bloody love the Alfa, don't know what I'm going to do with the beauty

Drove the car down to the garage this afternoon, it's horrible to drive! That failed wheel bearing is unbelievably bad, putting the car away before replacing it has obviously taken its' toll on it with it sitting still for so long. It hums at speeds over 10mph even and gets louder and the vibration stronger as speed increases, it's terrible! Nowhere near that bad when I took it off the road. Oh well, on the way home from the garage it'll be nice and smooth
    Still sounds awesome of course even on a sub 30mph gentle-as-possible drive

Personally, I like the grill. Had the standard waterfall grill on it first when we got, then got an eggcrate on it, got bored of that and put this black mesh one on it with a Heico badge to tie in with the Heico front spoiler flaps (proper name believe it or not!).

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with wheels, I love comets (heck I have 2 sets ), I want something else, would love Tritons but I've only just bought the grey comets with nearly new tyres off of here. I can see me continuing to keep swapping wheels around until I get my ultimate wheels (they're a secret ). For now I don't know whether I should get the grey comets repainted or remove the tyres and buy a different set of wheels. Me being as spontaneous as I am I'm already bidding on some different wheels ...... I need a smack!

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Cheers chaps

I bloody love the Alfa, don't know what I'm going to do with the beauty

Drove the car down to the garage this afternoon, it's horrible to drive! That failed wheel bearing is unbelievably bad, putting the car away before replacing it has obviously taken its' toll on it with it sitting still for so long. It hums at speeds over 10mph even and gets louder and the vibration stronger as speed increases, it's terrible! Nowhere near that bad when I took it off the road. Oh well, on the way home from the garage it'll be nice and smooth
    Still sounds awesome of course even on a sub 30mph gentle-as-possible drive

Personally, I like the grill. Had the standard waterfall grill on it first when we got, then got an eggcrate on it, got bored of that and put this black mesh one on it with a Heico badge to tie in with the Heico front spoiler flaps (proper name believe it or not!).

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with wheels, I love comets (heck I have 2 sets ), I want something else, would love Tritons but I've only just bought the grey comets with nearly new tyres off of here. I can see me continuing to keep swapping wheels around until I get my ultimate wheels (they're a secret ). For now I don't know whether I should get the grey comets repainted or remove the tyres and buy a different set of wheels. Me being as spontaneous as I am I'm already bidding on some different wheels ...... I need a smack!
    Waterfall is that what you call it? I was going to change my standard grill but it's in good nick and looks OK with silver wheels, hence my comment.

You are the wheel man, mate. Maybe swap u a set of Thor for one set of the Comets....? I've still got the Propus, Perfo and soon to have a set of Titans.............plus those Ronal Turbo R10s from the 460 turbo

I should down your way early next month btw will give you a shout (sober )
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Friday 21st March 2014 at 03:54.

Thanks
    See James, you should have swapped the Propus with these Silver Comets when you were down . But you had only just collected them then right?

I call a standard grill a Waterfall aye, still got the original one off this car nailed to the wall in the garage!

Not keen on Thors on anything but P2s, they might cause issues on my AWD model too. Had Tethys (the multi spokes off S60s) and the one caught the inner rears as they more offset than these models (ET49 opposed to ET43, it seems 6mm DOES make a difference! ). I can only imagine the same with Thors depending on the positioning of wheel weights...

If you're this way then give us a bell, sober would be best

Anywayyyyyy......

The car failed its' MOT on the bottom ball joints, why oh why aren't they separate to the wishbone!?

Being an AWD shopping for new ones is confusing

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Friday 21st March 2014)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    See James, you should have swapped the Propus with these Silver Comets when you were down . But you had only just collected them then right?

I call a standard grill a Waterfall aye, still got the original one off this car nailed to the wall in the garage!

Not keen on Thors on anything but P2s, they might cause issues on my AWD model too. Had Tethys (the multi spokes off S60s) and the one caught the inner rears as they more offset than these models (ET49 opposed to ET43, it seems 6mm DOES make a difference! ). I can only imagine the same with Thors depending on the positioning of wheel weights...

If you're this way then give us a bell, sober would be best

Anywayyyyyy......

The car failed its' MOT on the bottom ball joints, why oh why aren't they separate to the wishbone!?

Being an AWD shopping for new ones is confusing
    Oo yeah forget it was an AWD [looks at title of thread] should have known that one. I never said anything about swapping propus.......those comets look sooooo shiney! No, need to see them on the soon-to-be-miiine T5-R first

Was that the only thing it failed on, any advisories? Not too bad!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Friday 21st March 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    I would expect the 98 AWD to have the five bolt front wishbones, that is one bolt through the bottom of the front strut and four bolts securing the wishbone to the subframe, these can be "fun" to undo. I only mention this as some of the V70 models have three bolt wishbones so make sure you get the right ones.

As for putting Thor alloys on it, I wouldn't as the wheel/ tyres on the rear have about 2MM clearance between them and the rear suspension arm, we tried fitting my Thor alloys to Andys AWD last year to check this and decided the clearance simply wasn't enough - Mike

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Friday 21st March 2014),jamesy12345 (Friday 21st March 2014)

Thanks
    It had its' rear exhaust rubbers noted too, so no, not bad since it last went for an MOT in November 2011! That was only 3000 miles though....

Yeah sorry James, I read that slightly wrong... always trying to get some Propus.... I have my eye on some currently

When I ran Tethys (17x7.5J ET49) a wheel weight caught, I had to use spacers, can't be arsed with that crap again.

Cheers for the heads up Mike, I thought as much but was hoping that possibly I could get away with some good quality aftermarket ones but as they don't seem to exist for AWDs I've just gone and ordered some Genuine ones from Rufe, should get them on Tuesday

22. The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Friday 21st March 2014)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    love the alfa you have. ive got a real soft spot for them. take the aux belt off to see if the rumble gose away. the belt idler pulley and tensioner are weak but you prob already know this
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

24. The Following User Says Thank You to graemewelch For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Friday 21st March 2014)

Thanks
    You've got an Alfa of some sort right Graeme?

I really didn't intend to buy another when I sold the GTV but I couldn't resist!

Anyone reading this, don't buy an Alfa, they get under your skin!!

Thanks
    Well there we are, the car is MOTed and back on the road.
    Just need to tax it now.... Insurance was UNDER £300 for 12 months, not bad for a 21yo! Probably less than some of you older lot

My first impressions (again!) of the car is that my goodness is this thing slow! After having faster cars after having this last on the road has spoiled it a bit. The gears are just so long, it makes the car feel lazy. I think I'm just going to have to change the turbo for a 16t I have had for 2 years and work from there. Trouble is, I now have a lot of money tied up in the Alfa so I can't really afford the fun stuff like I had planned .

Besides the Silver C70 Comets on the car currently I also have Grey V70R Comets with nearly new Yoko Prada2 205/40R17 on them AND a set of C70 Propus rims. Plan is to put the Pradas on the BBS rims pictured below after I polish (or try to at least!) the lips and then slap them on the car.

I'm going to have to get the motor scrubbed up, it doesn't look too bad considering it hasn't been washed since April but it's still filthy! I imagine there's a good 10 hours at least though to be spent on it so here's to a clear weekend! Still haven't smartened up the rear end yet...

Will of course update with pics when appropriate!

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

artfulflounder (Friday 28th March 2014),jamesy12345 (Saturday 29th March 2014)

no experience but has
    enthusiasm aplenty

Thanks
    Tis supposed to be nice weather this weekend so no excuse not to get plenty done....
    Last edited by artfulflounder; Friday 28th March 2014 at 23:49.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Very very nice wheels, mate

The Volvo might be a little slower but it's quicker than the Alfa right now

Thread Information