Join Today
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    The Volvo with a 'twist'!
    Thanks
    Parts are on the way!

This car, if you couldn't guess, is most definitely going on the road shortly. The Alfa will be prepared for sale (just waiting on some wheels...), there is nothing wrong with it but I just really need to get this car out there again now.

When the car was on the road last back in June 2012 I think there was a failing wheel bearing so I've ordered a new genuine one, passenger front I think (...and hope!). The cambelt was changed about 28k miles ago but that was 10 years ago now so that needs changing.

I've ordered a couple of little rechargeable dehumidifiers and I'll get a big bag of table salt to help dry out the car. A pic below showing all the steamed up windows, dripping trim and mold growing everywhere. I've wiped away all the mold from everywhere and I'm regularly propping open the boot to air it out.

Damp V70 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

In the next few days I'm going to try and clean up under here, it is a bloody mess!

11-02-14 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

I think I'll get rid of the silly chav valve!

I removed that mank silver rear bumper cover today too, the paint was worse than I was expecting... There is still some of the tape crap left but that doesn't matter at the moment, I'll just use a heat gun to help get that off. I was shocked to find that there are tonnes of little bubbles/pimples to the paint, don't know whether that is solely because of the cover stuck over it or because of a ££££ paintjob. Oh well, I'm not bothered about it, when I had the bumper painted in January 2011 there was a scuff on the corner anyway. I'm not going to repaint it but I'm going to cover the top of the bumper with a funky vinyl instead. I will warn you though, most won't like what I've planned .

Here's a pic after a wipe down and a quick sanding to level off all the bubbles...

11-02-14 002 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Really doesn't look like a cared for car does it?

The fun stuff will start after the car is safe, serviced and MOT'd
    Last edited by AcidicDavey; Tuesday 11th February 2014 at 19:53.

Thanks
    The car is almost certainly getting sorted........promise

The Alfa is currently for sale, see here.

It's doing well but I've agreed a sale so should be gone Wednesday hopefully.

All bits have been bought for this car now; genuine wheel bearing, front drop links, battery and a few other little odds and sods.

I bought a Simota Carbon Filter thingy off Jamest5r so I'll be bunging that on once I've finished cleaning up the bay.

Also bought some more Comets off T5frankie (they'll be the 3rd set on this car!), they need painting and I'll have a go at painting them myself since I have some paint knocking about, Ford Graphite Grey. Seen them in that colour before and they look great!

Tinted the fog lights to boost enthusiasm!

Yellow Tinted Fogs 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Yellow Tinted Fogs 002 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

MOT maybe in a week or so?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

T5frankie (Sunday 2nd March 2014)

Thanks
    All back together and cleaned up. Forgot to dress the slam panel and I need to get the inlet manifold cleaner but it's a lot better than the last pic!
    Got my Chav filter on, wonder how it sounds?

04-03-14 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

It's strange cleaning up the engine bay on a Volvo, what's the point? On the Alfa however you need it clean as you have no idea when you're going to have to open the bonnet once you inevitably break down lol

Battery arrived this morning, got some fuel in the can today too.
    I'll record the big start (as I've got nothing better to do), it'll probably be the least eventful video ever!

Can't be bothered to start it until the Alfa is gone! Got a viewing tomorrow, wish me luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

artfulflounder (Wednesday 5th March 2014)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Good luck fella, I guess you are missing Poppy the 480

As usual your advert (for the Alfa) is very good, full of detail............what's next though?? Is the V70 going to be your main car for now....?

http://www.frost.co.uk/vent-a-space-...ni-aircon.html

For the damp......
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Wednesday 5th March 2014 at 04:25.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Thursday 6th March 2014)

no experience but has
    enthusiasm aplenty

Thanks
    Looking very clean under there.....what products you using on the hosing and plastics?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to artfulflounder For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Thursday 6th March 2014)

Thanks
    The Volvo will go on the road and stay on the road! Yes James, I really miss the 480, I flippin loved that car, boy did it shine!

Can't afford to run 2 cars and even if I could I'd only use one due to our drive lol

I bought some small little rechargeable dehumidifiers which are actually doing a bloody good job. Also, cleaning away all the filth and mold from window seals and gutter trims has stopped it steaming up. Car hasn't had a wash since April, hate washing this thing as it is huge but it does look good when done, I'll do a full detail on it eventually.

When cleaning up engine bays I simply use a damp rag to wipe away dirt and once dry dress all the plastics with Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel on a dedicated microfibre, lasts for ages (as it's not washed off under the bonnet) and the water beads nicely on it too, I use it on exterior black trim too you see

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

artfulflounder (Friday 7th March 2014),jamesy12345 (Friday 7th March 2014)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicDavey View Post
    The Volvo will go on the road and stay on the road! Yes James, I really miss the 480, I flippin loved that car, boy did it shine!

Can't afford to run 2 cars and even if I could I'd only use one due to our drive lol

I bought some small little rechargeable dehumidifiers which are actually doing a bloody good job. Also, cleaning away all the filth and mold from window seals and gutter trims has stopped it steaming up. Car hasn't had a wash since April, hate washing this thing as it is huge but it does look good when done, I'll do a full detail on it eventually.

When cleaning up engine bays I simply use a damp rag to wipe away dirt and once dry dress all the plastics with Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel on a dedicated microfibre, lasts for ages (as it's not washed off under the bonnet) and the water beads nicely on it too, I use it on exterior black trim too you see
    Nice tip about cleaning under the bonnet - mine is a mess and I'm never sure what to do. Davey, can you post a link for the dehumidifiers? Something I was thinking of getting.

no experience but has
    enthusiasm aplenty

Thanks
    I'd only tried the autoglym rubber stuff and its pretty pants.
    Never lasted long and always went streaky on bumpers after a shower.

I'll pick up some meguiars and give it a whirl.

cheers for the help.

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    +1 for the Meguires Endurance tyre gel tip, it works really well.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Yep - megs tyre gel... I bought a bottle last year, use it on tyres, plastics, exterior trims, engine hoses, wiper arms etc. I do both my cars with it, other people's cars and you all know how often I detail the Sweed (she's long overdue for a big session, expect pics ) and yet I still have half a bottle left! bloody good stuff and goes a very long way indeed.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Thanks
    Yes it is indeed great stuff! Only use one rag for it though, it's very messy stuff, and don't drive until it's dry or else it'll get flung off the tyres or dirt will stick to it.

It was even great at restoring the finish on faded light units...

25-07-13 004 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

These are the dehumidifiers I bought, they need recharging every week or so but then my car was seriously wet in there and now there is no sign since giving the car a scrubbing on Wednesday, there was literally stuff growing in the gutters! Haven't washed the poor thing since April, it really does need my attention!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

artfulflounder (Friday 7th March 2014),jamesy12345 (Saturday 8th March 2014)

Thanks
    I sold the GTV on Saturday, £1100, happy with that

Yesterday though I went and delayed getting the Volvo back on the road again....I bought a different Alfa!

In my defence it is a bloody nice one.

3.0 V6 166 with factory Zender Bodykit, upgraded wheels and factory sports suspension.

10-03-14 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

10-03-14 002 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

10-03-14 003 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Engine Bay 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Interior 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

I'm happy, but for how long lol

19. The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

artfulflounder (Monday 10th March 2014)

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicDavey View Post
    I sold the GTV on Saturday, £1100, happy with that

Yesterday though I went and delayed getting the Volvo back on the road again....I bought a different Alfa!

In my defence it is a bloody nice one.

3.0 V6 166 with factory Zender Bodykit, upgraded wheels and factory sports suspension.

10-03-14 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

10-03-14 002 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

10-03-14 003 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Engine Bay 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Interior 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

I'm happy, but for how long lol
    now that is a sexy motor, always liked the 166

21. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Monday 10th March 2014)

Thanks
    Only £50 more than the knackered GTV sold for and the seller even delivered it from Essex too for that price!

I'm a happy boy. Ok, lacquer peel to front bumper, side skirt hanging off, dent in wing, crap paint on rear bumper aside; it's a lovely car!

Complete history (and I really do mean complete!), original bill of sale, every MOT (even the receipts for the MOTs!) and even the build completion certificate from the factory! Everything!

no experience but has
    enthusiasm aplenty

Thanks
    That is a hell of a lot of car for that.

looks like it got looked after , bet you've cleaned it already.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to artfulflounder For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Monday 10th March 2014)

Thanks
    Of course I have

Looked like this yesterday!

09-03-14 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Wow mate that looks really good already and you've only had it a very short time. Not been lowered at all? Looks low for factory

Here today gone tomorrow

Thanks
    Love the noise from that V6 lump, lush!! Looks like a lovely motor.

Thanks
    The car was supplied new with Alfa Lowering springs, it is stupidly low though so might have been lowered later?

It sounds great but it is a bit quiet

I finished cleaning up the car yesterday, here's my routine...

- Clear arches of muck,
    - Rinse and brush wheels with an old washing up brush,
    - Rinse whole car,
    - Wash car using the two bucket method with Bilt Hamber Shampoo starting with the roof then windows, bonnet, front bumper, boot lid, drivers' side upper half then passenger's, rear bumper, drivers' lower half then passenger's.
    - Rinse with the hose from the top of the car aiming down,
    - Dry glass with micro fibre towel.
    - Clay whole car one panel at a time using Bilt Hamber Soft Clay Bar and tap water as a lubricant in a water mister.
    - Polish each panel one by one with Bilt Hamber Cleanser Polish on a sponge applicator and using a microfibre cloth to buff,
    - Seal each panel one by one with Bilt Hamber Auto Balm on a sponge applicator and using a microfibre cloth to buff off.
    - Polish wheels with the above method and then seal with Poor Boy's Wheel Sealant.
    - Dress tyres and black trim with Meguiars' Endurance Tyre Gel,
    - Polish exhaust tip with Brassol on an old rag.
    - Step back and be amazed!

Hell of a lot of work but my goodness is she shining!

Had someone come up to me and say "Wow, she looks very good for a car of that age!"

Here is the car today after its' cleaning session yesterday and Monday, link to full album here. Here are a few...

12-03-14 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

12-03-14 002 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

12-03-14 010 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

It's the first car I've ever owned where I have no inclination to change the wheels, love them

12-03-14 012 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

12-03-14 013 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

12-03-14 018 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

I love this sticker in the upper corner of the windscreen, it's Alfa for "Warning! This car will stain your driveway!"

12-03-14 019 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

The details of this car are fantastic, ok I would imagine a lot of modern executive stuff features similar stuff but here you go... The interior courtesy lights fade on and off when appropriate, the radio fades too even when you change the station, the one fades out and the new option fades in. The handbrake light flashes so it is more obvious and it isn't possible to remove the key 25 seconds after switching the engine off without pulling a little hidden tab to prevent it being nicked I guess.

The gearbox is clever too, when stationary in park you can't move the gear knob unless the brake pedal is pressed. It changes down while braking when in Drive to help slow you further using engine braking, it's a very strange auto. When I first got the car I thought something was wrong with it as once you kickdown and then let off the throttle a bit it holds onto a gear, this is because the car goes into 'Sporty' mode.

I used to hate auto boxes, what I hate now is the auto box in the V70, this one is very impressive...

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Lovely car, whats the performance like??

Thread Information