Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

Remap by custom tuning Bradford review

So would just like to share my experience with a remap/tuning company - custom tuning in Bradford, west yorkshire.

These comments are purely based on my own recent and painful experience with company and will hopefully give some reference to people in the future.

After calling custom tuning I was told that they could remap the car by inserting a k-line into the ecu whilst in situ, when I arrived there they said that they had made a mistake and they would have to remove the ecu from the car to carry out the remap.

After about 1 1/2 hours they had put the ecu back in the car and taken it for a test drive.

As the car was booted up the road I heard the car misfire and thought something didn't seem right.

The guy returned and said 'Yeah, that's fine, I just need to take payment', believing that these guys were proffesionals, I went along with it and paid the fee.

As soon as I started the car I noticed the engine light on, I put my foot down for about a hundred yards and something didn't feel right. I had my scanner on me and it showed a ecu communication error, I cleared the code and tried the car again.

Giving it wot, when the car reached about 4000rpm it dropped boost and turned the engine in the programme light back on, making the same sound as when I heard the 'tuner' test drive the car.

I took it straight back and told them, one of the other 'tuners' took a drive and returned to say 'yeah,something isn't right'.... NO ££££~!

They took the ecu back out and after about 15 minutes told me that there was a check sum error in the map??

Another hour or so passed and then they fitted the ecu back to the car and test drove again.

Again as the car was booted out of the yard (and hearing it thrashed around the block when I couldn't see it) I heard a misfire or something unusual. One of the 'tuners' was stood next to me and I mentioned this to him. to which he replied 'well it will do that when it;s redined'.........REALLY????

The 'tuner' returned and said 'definately nothing wrong with that now, its quick!' passed me the keys and apologised for the inconvieniance.

As I was pulling away the roller doors were shutting as it was about 6.15pm, I gave it a boot and it seemed ok.

Then as I got further down the road and under normal driving conditions, I began to experience surging at part throttle as detailed in my other thread http://forums.t5d5.o...em-after-remap/
    and so it begins!!

I spoke to them the next day and they told me to bring it in the day after. When I got there they had it on their rolling road and borrowed a volvo diag from another garage close by. They said they couldnt understand what was going on but there was a fault stored for a intermittant tps fault and I should get this sorted as ' As you know tuning makes things better, but can put extra stress on some parts' and to look at the pedal position sensor, then get back to them if the problem persists.

The 'tuner' did say that he would speak to some people to see if they could come up with any reason as to why the car was behaving how it was apart from the potential tps fault.

Over the next week or so while I was trying to locate and fit a new etm, I tried several times to get in touch with this guy, just to see if he had come up with any new info, that might spare me the expense of getting a replacement etm. Despite getting through to someone on the other end I was either told - He's out on a job, He's at a funeral, call back at this time or leave your number - I never did get to speak to him and so carried on with their original recommendations

I changed all of these things AND more and still no change.

Where I am now is 3 days down the line from incurring all this time,effort and expense, I am having trouble getting through to anyone that can help me. The people I need to speak to are never there and despite leaving my number I've not had a call back. To make things worse, the last half dozen times I have called today, nobody is even answering the phone like, they have calller id and are ignoring the call.

Anyway that's where I am up to present and will update as to where it finishes up, but regardless of what happens from here, from this experience I would recommend people to think long and hard before using this remap company - custom tuning Bradford.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    I'm sorry to here your bad experience mate .if the problem persist then I would get a standard map back in the car ASAP or go and see another tuner such as shark /hlm/mte/etc and take this tuning company to court .ps what car is it .

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Doesn't sound too good, poor customer service again, as Smithy says maybe look at a well known Volvo tuner for your car.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    It's stories like this that make me wonder about a remap. I have read a few horror stories even when the pro's get it wrong & makes me wonder with my brilliant luck is it worth it.
    As smithy said I'd at least try put a standard map on temporary & take it to an expert who can look at the map & diagnose the problem. You'll need evidence & I'd definitely be speaking to citizens advice as they will do the talking for you if you tell them the company is ignoring your calls. Have you tried withholding your number?
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    Thanks for sharing your experience Leesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    It's stories like this that make me wonder about a remap. I have read a few horror stories even when the pro's get it wrong & makes me wonder with my brilliant luck is it worth it.
    As smithy said I'd at least try put a standard map on temporary & take it to an expert who can look at the map & diagnose the problem. You'll need evidence & I'd definitely be speaking to citizens advice as they will do the talking for you if you tell them the company is ignoring your calls. Have you tried withholding your number?
    As Graham said, best to stick with a well known that has good customer service. With tuning, something is bound to go wrong sometimes due to differing car conditions etc but you want someone who will go the extra mile if something unexpected does happen.
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Santa For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Wednesday 30th October 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    if only you had asked before going to this shower of ££££e, thiese are the cowboys that tried too map my ME7 also, get the map off ASAP. If you try too persue them they just shut up shop and re open under a different name

Talk too dream3r on T5d5 with any luck he will be able too sort you out mate
    P1 V70 2.5T Scorpion Exhaust, 3" downpipe 100cel cat, BSR induction, KKK24, GWE 3" Maf to turbo pipe,japanifold , 2010 V50 T5 Alloys Projector Headlamps with 5k Hid kit Quickshift kit, strut brace, Koni Yellow Sport,IPD BCS AET motorsport remap
    Previous: 2004 XC90 T6, 240GLT Estate, 343DL
    Toys: Capri 3.7 Twin turbo, Kawasaki ZX10R 2006,

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    if it was me id be going down there with a car full of ugly looking mates, block his car in and demand the car is put back to standard and you are fully refunded.
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graemewelch For This Useful Post:

Biff (Wednesday 30th October 2013),smithy (Wednesday 30th October 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    if it was me id be going down there with a car full of ugly looking mates, block his car in and demand the car is put back to standard and you are fully refunded.
    That sounds like a nice idea

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smithy For This Useful Post:

Biff (Wednesday 30th October 2013),graemewelch (Thursday 31st October 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    im up for that and i think i qualify as an ugly one pmsl
    P1 V70 2.5T Scorpion Exhaust, 3" downpipe 100cel cat, BSR induction, KKK24, GWE 3" Maf to turbo pipe,japanifold , 2010 V50 T5 Alloys Projector Headlamps with 5k Hid kit Quickshift kit, strut brace, Koni Yellow Sport,IPD BCS AET motorsport remap
    Previous: 2004 XC90 T6, 240GLT Estate, 343DL
    Toys: Capri 3.7 Twin turbo, Kawasaki ZX10R 2006,

13. The Following User Says Thank You to deathrider311271 For This Useful Post:

graemewelch (Thursday 31st October 2013)

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Sorry the 'Softies' are no good to you for this.....we're all good looking chaps

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Company must be given fair time to rectify the fault. You can't go elsewhere to pursue a fix without following due process.

Communication via letter with recorded delivery is essential part of the escalation process, if the phone calls fail. Phone calls only have limited use once the escalation starts as are easy to say they never happened etc.

If indeed a pre-existing fault condition has been exacerbated by the tuning process, which is feasible - then fix that first.
    Your T5D5 link didnt work

http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/24848-2...em-after-remap
    Last edited by Wobbly Dave; Thursday 31st October 2013 at 22:13.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Company must be given fair time to rectify the fault. You can't go elsewhere to pursue a fix without following due process.

Communication via letter with recorded delivery is essential part of the escalation process, if phone calls are easy to say they never happened etc.

If indeed a pre-existing fault condition has been exacerbated by the tuning process, which is feasible - then fix that first.
    And after all that then take the boys round for a visit lol .personnelly I would go and see them first and sort the problem out and no joy then have a polite word .

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    My point is you can't go charging off elsewhere and expect to get any money back later. I hope this can be resolved without going down the civil court route.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience Leesh.

As Graham said, best to stick with a well known that has good customer service. With tuning, something is bound to go wrong sometimes due to differing car conditions etc but you want someone who will go the extra mile if something unexpected does happen.
    This is very true but if I put a thread up regarding who should map my car no doubt it would turn into another debate of bad tales of maps & companies who blew engines up...
    I honestly think I'm going to bite the bullet & get a custom rica from grn as it's probably the closest to me with the best reputation but I've got a good few months of deciding yet. Some people swear by hlm but others have loads of bad things to say about them.
    It's very confusing when you are new to a scene.
    Kalmar union is another I've been recommended but as Martin said the other day in his rant that the website is rather confusing. I'm not even sure they could map my car.
    Guess when it comes to the time I'll have to sit & ring around them with regards to price & service. I've learnt not to use a tuner without volvo pedigree though.
    As wobbly said I hope this can be resolved without small courts involvement.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    This is very true but if I put a thread up regarding who should map my car no doubt it would turn into another debate of bad tales of maps & companies who blew engines up...
    I honestly think I'm going to bite the bullet & get a custom rica from grn as it's probably the closest to me with the best reputation but I've got a good few months of deciding yet. Some people swear by hlm but others have loads of bad things to say about them.
    Kalmar union is another I've been recommended but as Martin said the other day in his rant that the website is rather confusing. I'm not even sure they could map my car.
    Guess when it comes to the time I'll have to sit & ring around them with regards to price & service. I've learnt not to use a tuner without volvo pedigree though.
    I'm not 100% but I think Tim Williams from t5d5 does some custom mapping. Never heard any complaints about him, ever.
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchyboy01 View Post
    I'm not 100% but I think Tim Williams from t5d5 does some custom mapping. Never heard any complaints about him, ever.
    He does custom mapping yes mate but unsure if he does 4.4 mapping. He's just built up nosh's engine & the write up & detail he went to was impressive. I'll give him a call when I'm done fixing things & ready to tune. Like you said I've never heard a bad word about his skills.
    Thanks.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

This user has no status

Thanks
    He does custom mapping yes mate but unsure if he does 4.4 mapping. He's just built up nosh's engine & the write up & detail he went to was impressive. I'll give him a call when I'm done fixing things & ready to tune. Like you said I've never heard a bad word about his skills.
    Thanks.
    Hi Biff, just to let you know that yes Tim does M4.4 mapping.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackBeast For This Useful Post:

Biff (Monday 4th November 2013)

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post

Communication via letter with recorded delivery is essential part of the escalation process, if phone calls are easy to say they never happened etc.

Your T5D5 link didnt work

http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/24848-2...em-after-remap

What Dave says ^

It will be worth visiting your local citizens advice and making them aware of your situation.

Welcome to VPCUK by the way
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    Just go and see and speak to the people you are thinking of using first. Get a feel for the people who are going to be doing the work. See if they can give/show examples. Might help you feel better
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Santa For This Useful Post:

Biff (Monday 4th November 2013)

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Thanks.
    I'm hoping he will map my rear engine for me.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Thread Information