Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Remaps and mystery ecu

I was a bit bored today, bored as in got loads to do but not having the energy or inclination to do any of it !. Went out and started the still unfinished R so I could plug in a tyre inflator and re-inflate the front tyre that goes flat every week !. The other T5 was just sitting there and I decided to have a play around. The ecu in my T5 was sold to me many years ago as a Rica 304 and despite it being unmarked I've never doubted it as it goes well with it in and boosts higher then the standard ecu. The R has a Rica labelled ecu in it so I popped that out and swapped it into the old T5. Gave her a blat and it feels much the same. Now we come to the 'mystery' ecu found in the boot of the R. The previous owner told me it may be remapped but he wasn't sure, it again is unlabelled apart from having a 'N' or 'Z' scratched into it (depends which way you look at it). I popped it in and gave it a blat expecting nothing but a standard map, I was wrong !. With this ecu in it boosts much higher in every gear. With the other two ecu's I get a peak spike of around 1.1 bar, then it seems to tail off and settle around 0.8, with the mystery ecu it boosts closer to 1.2 bar and just stays there (my boost gauge may not be terribly accurate though I admit !). Anyone know how I can find out what or where the maps come from ?. It may just be that the other two are actually Rica 280's and the mystery one is a 302 or similar, I've taken it out at the moment until I can find out if it's fueling properly with it in.
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    You can read the chip quite easily these days.....some tuners put their names in the binary
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
    You can read the chip quite easily these days.....some tuners put their names in the binary
    How do I go about it Dave ?
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

New Identity
    Thanks
    You'll need motronic suite here, a K-Line cable like this, and some info from here and here (bit of a read i'm afraid)

As long as it is a Motronic 4.3 ecu. Motronic 4.4 ecus can't be read fully.

And not sure if yours has the obd port inside the car, if not you'll need to hook it up manually.
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Sunday 27th October 2013 at 21:39. Reason: ebay link fixed
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Sunday 27th October 2013),nobananas (Friday 1st November 2013)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
    You'll need motronic suite here, a K-Line cable like this, and some info from here and here (bit of a read i'm afraid)

As long as it is a Motronic 4.3 ecu. Motronic 4.4 ecus can't be read fully.

And not sure if yours has the obd port inside the car, if not you'll need to hook it up manually.
    Just stumbled upon this thread tonight, thanks for the excellent links, I shall now go forth and expand my ecu knowlege, it will be a long while before I imagine that I will understand it enough the make an improvement, but I'll give it a go

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

smithy (Monday 28th October 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    The Motronic Link i just clicked on has been removed from my computer as a RED threat!.....by my Norton antivirus

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    The Motronic Link i just clicked on has been removed from my computer as a RED threat!.....by my Norton antivirus
    A trojan by any chance ???

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

New Identity
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT5-R View Post
    Just stumbled upon this thread tonight, thanks for the excellent links, I shall now go forth and expand my ecu knowlege, it will be a long while before I imagine that I will understand it enough the make an improvement, but I'll give it a go
    Well if you got any questions just ask away Motronic is quite simple to tune, maps are easy to read.

LOL, Norton is just useless TBH, terrible protection and performance sapping :/
    I have scanned it with Avira and Avast and both are fine with it. Here is a link to another server which hosts motronic suite, see if norton likes that one.
    http://socalsaab.com/suites/suites.htm

The link to motronic suite is on Mercuric's hosted site (he's the guy on Volvospeed who has totally ripped apart Motronic 4.4 and opened it up to some awesome mods (fast data logging, open loop and better boost control, alternative boost/ignition/fuel map selection using the throttle!)) The original server motronic suite was hosted on was shut down as the guy abandoned the project so its down to the die hard fans to keep it going.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I have used Norton products for 15yrs and they have kept me well safe!

As this link may have originated from the USA then that is good enough for me as Norton is cleverer than i am......

If you don`t use it then you cannot comment on the program!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

New Identity
    Thanks
    If you don`t use it then you cannot comment on the program!
    Very true.

Thread Information