Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    You've got to love a ferrita.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

V70 Graham (Wednesday 23rd October 2013)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    My 18t can be pretty laggy but your right about the sound, compared to my mates old t5 she sucks like a Dutch hooker! I hope a rip kit & 3" down pipe aid the spool up along with a map on mine.
    Well done!
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    Just been reading your other thread Graham about cat back exhausts......interesting...

Well had my 18T fitted today by a forum member and what an exciting day, the turbo went all very smoothly as far as fitting goes and used all new banjo washers and gaskets etc.

While he was doing the turbo i supplied his mate was doing fitting the 2.5" Ferrita cat back exhaust, although 2nd hand it is of course in excellent condition being stainless steel and not very old.

Well after the fitting went for a trial spin along the A2 in Kent dual carriageway and as i had refitted the Volvo BCS i was not impressed in 1st & 2nd gear boost but was impressed by it`s smoothness the engine sounded like a turbine and the 18T when on boost was just sounding like an aero engine but quieter....my old 16T although in good nick clearance wise when checked later was very oily and the seal had gone but it used to be noisy when boosting and sounding nothing like this 18T.....

When into 3rd it started to happen better through the BCS and the boost went quickly to the same 20psi and also in 4th held the same 20......but the smoothness is very very noticeable...

The grunt did happen later in the revs unlike my 16T which was earlier with 4 turns of the actuator on the 18T it is set at 2 turns.

The HLM 304 did not restrict the boost back to 16psi with the BCS it seems as though it has completely removed it as i can still set the boost at what i like!

I will give it a couple of days for the ECU 4.4 to adjust itself and then will probably give the actuator another turn making 3 turns from standard.

After that i may try a decent MBC but only to 20psi and from 3000revs and see what happens.

My old cheapo MBC has been set on 20psi for 2yrs with the 16T set on 4 turns of the actuator and i did like the point and shoot attitude of it
    this set up now seems more power on the move higher up the rev band so of course at a higher speed not quite what i wanted but i may get the result i want by just progressing slowly and surely!!

Above all i am not sorry for the upgrade and the smoothness of the engine and the smooth delivery of the power is so really noticeable.

I struck lucky with the 18T as it had been refurbished at a cost of £389 only some 8000mls ago and i bought it for £200....the Ferrita was 2nd hand and was £200 FITTED so together with the fitting of the turbo £50 the cost was a mere £450 in total so all in all not a bad days work!

Keith
    this is why i have got forged rods now so i can enjoy the mbc rather than worry about it, much better power delivery than the boring bcs, instant boost

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    this is why i have got forged rods now so i can enjoy the mbc rather than worry about it, much better power delivery than the boring bcs, instant boost
    Have you run it is already then Frankie????

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Interesting reading about the difference in power delivery between the 16 and 18t, I'm still unsure about weather or not to do the swap on mine, I might just wait till the turbo goes bang and then see what's about.

Decisions decisions...
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Interesting reading about the difference in power delivery between the 16 and 18t, I'm still unsure about weather or not to do the swap on mine, I might just wait till the turbo goes bang and then see what's about.

Decisions decisions...
    If you wait until the turbo goes pop her in doors will have you in a lexus so fast your feet won`t touch the ground

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oblark View Post
    If you wait until the turbo goes pop her in doors will have you in a lexus so fast your feet won`t touch the ground
    You mean she'll be in a Lexus.....Martin already has a car lol

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by V70 Graham View Post
    You mean she'll be in a Lexus.....Martin already has a car lol
    That`s not a car it`s a rollerskate

Just want to know when he`s getting one for the other foot

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    Have you run it is already then Frankie????
    I around even driven it yet lol

This user has no status

Thanks

Decisions decisions...
    Well my second outing......and after standing around all day yesterday and was tired on the way home today i was refreshed when going out and today seemed very much different!

The quiet drone at lower speeds seemed quieter and when i accelerated from 5mph through the gears to ***mph it does go well......i think the feel of later higher boosting is due to the Volvo BCS keeping the boost lower that i have now refitted and i am not used to it and apart from the tiredness yesterday on the way home.

Of course in 2nd at higher revs with only 10psi it doesn`t seem much until into 3rd and upwards. I did like my 16T but it did run out of puf with the MBC and this 18T doesn`t so much with the BCS.

So tomorrow i may turn up the actuator another turn see what happens and then my confidence will be better about the 18T and bending rods!

I think i have been jittery to have a good thrash, still better safe than sorry, it is a good engine i have and don`t want to ruin it just for trying to see attitude. If it does goes tit`s up then it will be converted to forged. Already have a price to do if necessary.

As regards when the 16T goes bang i am really surprised at the wear of it as the clearance on the compressor wheel / housing is the same 15 thou (apparently the accepted clearance is 10 to 20) as on the 18T which has only 8000mls on it my 16T has 162000 on it and only the oil seals have gone.

At the moment my 16T was more fun but we will see what happens with my testings!!

Yes, bending rods is alway talked about....but seems only on the original 850 T engine, the V70 i have is the T3 which has stronger rods and pistons so has anyone bent rods on this stronger engine??.....the V70R has the 18T which is the same T3 engine...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by 960kg; Thursday 24th October 2013 at 16:49.

Thanks
    I've never heard of a ME7 engine bending a rod. I know the bottom end was upgraded at the end of 2002, although it kept the same T3 generation name, there's apparently 3 different versions of the T3 generation.

Mine (2003 with 206k miles on it) had a boost spike of 22 psi @ 2400rpm the first time it went on the rollers and didn't bend anything. Says a lot for the newer engines.

Exhaust looks real nice by the way.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    you wont bend any rods with a bcs, so do't worry, i personally dont like the build up of boost with a bcs it takes too long, and i think its urban myth that some t5 engines have stronger rods and pistons, the 1st engine i bent a rod in was a 1998 v70r

Thanks
    weren't you running 22 psi on an 18t?

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    weren't you running 22 psi on an 18t?
    yeah mate on a 200k engine lasted for about 3 months at that boost

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    I've never heard of a ME7 engine bending a rod. I know the bottom end was upgraded at the end of 2002, although it kept the same T3 generation name, there's apparently 3 different versions of the T3 generation.
    theirs alot more than 3 version. When Volvo revised the N engine there was no definitive swop over to the new components, the upgrades were fed in as you say between 2002-2003. So some engines may have the RN's light crank, but not have the thinner valve stems or vice versa depending what they had at the time of building

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    yeah mate on a 200k engine lasted for about 3 months at that boost
    kinda explains the eventual bent rod really, metal fatigue and all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    theirs alot more than 3 version. When Volvo revised the N engine there was no definitive swop over to the new components, the upgrades were fed in as you say between 2002-2003. So some engines may have the RN's light crank, but not have the thinner valve stems or vice versa depending what they had at the time of building
    whatever was rattling about in the parts bin then lol

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    whatever was rattling about in the parts bin then lol
    basically yes lol

Trader
    just volvos
    Thanks
    Ok I have not done much with the whiteblock family but know enough about redblocks.
    You never start with a 9mm rod engine and always use a 13mm rod engine to start with. With the whiteblock I would say after an exhaust and inlet upgrade simple stage 1 tuning the very next step should be a set of rods. They might not be cheap but its a lot cheaper to fit uprated rods before you kill and engine.
    With the redblock what kills engines is running to much boost on a small turbo. Once you pass the limit for the turbo you will still get more pressure but the heat build up can actually give you less oxygen and therefore less power. The bigger the turbo (within reason) the more boost pressure you can safely run.

With saying that my last was running a good 18PSI and never had a problem other than getting any traction is 1st 2nd or 3rd, rods were on the cards so I could take it a little further

20. The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:

960kg (Tuesday 19th November 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Just to update this little lot.........i have now fitted and been running the MBC for a few weeks and at 20psi the same as the standard 16T which was in use for 2yrs.

But where the 16T gives up the 18T carries on well into three figure speeds!!......and getting there feeling is just as good if not better!

I did like the point and squirt attitude of the 16T with the HLM 304 map but the 18T seems to do it in more building up style than aggressive and petering out style.

This thing about low down WOT and damaging torque before 3000revs......ok i understand it, but me being an old school style rally driver from the past... to be damaging your`e in the wrong gear!

3000revs in 2nd is only 30`ish mph so therefore it is ok to use WOT at the required non damaging revs.....if one wants to accelerate no good treating the motor like a bus or lorry with a diesel engine just drop a gear and you are in the correct rev range so no bother........so why owners carry on about that is no good being a restriction on 3 or 3500 revs before you floor it i don`t understand that aspect, as one is not driving properly!

As usual just my own opinion!

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    just a matter of time mate at 20 psi, pete bent a rod with his 18t

Thread Information