Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lowering my car

Clueless about Cars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 747 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Low doesn't always equate to better handling.

I use FK coilovers on the front, FK dampers and standard springs on the back (I found the FK springs made the rear too twitchy)

there are a few people who will tell you my car is nice and smooth, but handles quite well
    Having recently had the great pleasure of sitting next to Colin I did comment on how well his car handled through bumpy and uneven bends at very high speeds. This man is a real genius when it comes to cars and his ideas.... it was so smooth and comfortable I was expecting to be shaken to death, quite the opposite....

This is one car that corners like it's on rails even at 137mph (Private Road) this car is highly underestimated and so is the driver

2. The Following User Says Thank You to iancho For This Useful Post:

claymore (Saturday 19th October 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Remember coilover springs are around £70 a pair so change them if you dont like the way the coilovers are sprung from the factory. People fit coilovers, find they don't like the ride so flog them, when all they really need to do is find out the spring rates and buy a more suitable spring. My FKs on the T4 where awful and very crashy on the front and bottomed out. I considered going back to standard shocks. A memeber on VOC posted the spring rates of the FK's so I fitted stiffer springs and and now have the best handling car I've ever had.
    Last edited by mitchyboy01; Saturday 19th October 2013 at 00:13.
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mitchyboy01 For This Useful Post:

960kg (Saturday 19th October 2013),claymore (Saturday 19th October 2013),T5frankie (Saturday 19th October 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Low doesn't always equate to better handling.

I use FK coilovers on the front, FK dampers and standard springs on the back (I found the FK springs made the rear too twitchy)

there are a few people who will tell you my car is nice and smooth, but handles quite well

Similar but different.......i have 40mm dropped Yellow Apex springs all round with Bilstein struts on the front but have reverted to standard dampers on the rear.

The equal springs keep the trim level as per Volvo but keeping the standard rear dampers it let`s go sooner and helps the rear to step out when lifting the loud pedal quickly.

My next move is 1 1/2 Degrees Negative on the front only.......i do hate understeering motors......inherited dare i say from all my previous Ford performance RWD cars.

Here today gone tomorrow

Thanks
    Same as mentioned above if you want good results from your car then you've gotta pay premium prices!! Good tested kits GAZ, KW's and none coilover kits koni's. If you've got a decent coilover kit then it won't ruin the ride quality of your car.

Can I also suggest a set of IPD roll bars to if your looking for a good handling setup....

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim S70R For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Saturday 19th October 2013),MIKESC70T5 (Saturday 19th October 2013),T5frankie (Saturday 19th October 2013)

Thread Information