Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

p2188 (system to rich at idle bank1) help please :(

Name:  45339928_1966566576981850_9167726539352047616_n.png
Views: 0
Size:  101.7 KB

just changed my front lambda sensor now this fault has appeared and car is running like a bag of ££££.
    when you try to go there hesitation the car almost sounds like no fuel stumbles for a second and then goes but with reduced performance.
    the mpg has gone down to 17.5mpg
    also when you brake to stop say at traffic lights all the lights flicker n the revs start rising up n down same happens when you rev it stationary to. i would assume alternator on the way out i have cleaned maf sensor with electrical contact spray thats not helped any but i am no expert hence i'm asking you nice people

i know the other fault code is for the clutch position sensor i have on order from volvo

thanks in advance for any advice

my car is a 2002 volvo s60 2.3 T5 SE
    Last edited by peynut81; Sunday 4th November 2018 at 15:21. Reason: adding car

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi when you fitted a new sensor, what make did you use,
    Dave

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    I see where Davebb is going with this and I'm inclined to follow suit.

Firstly, what was the reason for replacing the O2 sensor in the first place and did you have any symptoms??

Secondly, Electrical cleaner spray will do jack to the MAF and it will not, i repeat NOT dissolve the baked on dirt/oil residue that gets passed your air filter (air filters can only filter down to so many microns) dirt will still get past!
    Use proper MAF cleaner (which is expensive) or use Carb cleaner followed immediately by brake cleaner to remove the residue left by the carb cleaner. The brake cleaner evaporates very quickly, so use copious amounts of spray to clean.
    If the MAF has not been cleaned properly, you will notice a difference once it is.
    Refit and take for a test drive.

When was the last time you cleaned your ETM and reset adaptions?

Believe it or not I've seen cars (Nissan Micra 1.0 and Ford Fiesta 1.4 spring to mind) that wouldn't even start unless you buried the throttle and once started, they would stall and not idle due to the throttle assy being dirty. Once cleaned they ran perfect and idled like a dream!

How many wires did your old sensor have? 4 or 5? Does the new one have the same?
    What make is it? Only fit BOSCH!!

I know your car is a 2.3 T5, but this is a brilliant thread about the same fault on a 2.0 T and well worth a read!

http://www.simonk695.plus.com/Volvo/P2188.html

.....Which reminds me. When was the last time you changed your spark plugs and have you removed them to check their condition??
    I also suspect you have PCV issues.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Monday 12th November 2018 at 11:27. Reason: More info
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    it was a bosch sensor what was fitted but i didn't fit it to the car. i think it could have been four wires. i had the fault code for a new sensor on the front no signal i cant remember the code but it helped replacing it and i got the fault code cleared but then i got this new code. i have run some cataclean through the system to clean bank 2 sensor ... cars fine when its cold. but as soon as it warms up the revs dont settle when you let your foot off the accelerator pedal. instead of just settling at normal idle they fluctuate up and down 3 times with the lights dimming also and the engine struggles for a second.. people think im flashing them haha.. i think i will replace the maf sensor and just give the etm and throttle body a good cleaning and see what it does. its an old / new car i have only had it a few month so these are the first problems with it really. i will read that thread now thank you very much for the replies

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Ok, having read your last reply, I'd say you've got an air/vacuum leak. Classic symptoms are fluctuating base idle from high idle throttle let off, which is exactly what your experiencing.
    An air leak will also cause MAF related issues and also cause fault codes relating to O2 sensors.

What's the new code? Sounds like it was being masked.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information